“Perfect for a weekend getaway!”
Review of Colonial Inn

Colonial Inn
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Harbor Springs
Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

We got a great deal on our stay so we chose the Colonial Inn. We were impressed by the room upon check in. It was a very white clean romantic feel with a fireplace. They should have advertised that they offered a fridge in the room because we almost did not book based in that, but decided to pack coolers as we were traveling with an infant. Location was nice very close to the water to take walks near but not to swim, however we were not looking to swim. Bed was super comfortable. The only disappointment was the continental breakfast. We arrived with an hour left of breakfast and everything was gone and not replenished. We were able to get a cup of coffee. Staff was cleaning dishes, and did not seem concerned that there was nothing hardly left.

• Stayed: June 2014
4  Thank Foodie48867

Reviewed 23 June 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Colonial Inn recently. We thoroughly enjoyed our visit to the Harbor Springs area. The hotel staff, including the front desk attendant, housekeeping and the adorable young bell hop were all very friendly and accommodating. The check in/check out process was very easy. Our rental unit was clean. The unit was very roomy and included a flat panel tv and gas fireplace. I was pleasantly surprised. You cannot beat the location. The waterfront is at the end of the short street. It is also a short walk away from town.
We look forward to visiting the area again and will look to stay at the Colonial Inn.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank chymba
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

We were very disappointed, have spent less & gotten a better! Quaint Inn but you stay on out lying buildings. NO HOT WATER, BARELY ANY HEAT IN ROOM, NO COFFEE POT IN ROOM, POOL COLD & DIRTY, SAME FOR HOT TUB, CONTINENTAL BREAKFAST IS JOKE WITH WEAK COFFEE! Best things about the place is location, harbor springs atmosphere, nice looking grounds, fireplace in room (but gives no warmth). With some improvements they can do better.. Sorry I had to review obvious!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Judy R
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We were at the Colonial for a soccer tournament weekend with our family and many more families from our same club. Here are the pros and cons.

Pros:
Our room was a king/double suite, and it was very spacious...terrific for a family of four and probably could have fit 2 more people.
The pool was nearby, as well as the bay and dock
The woman on duty was helpful when available
The price for the space we had was very good

Cons:
I got a parking ticket for parking on the street, right where the front desk told me to park!
Our room was right off the lobby...and it was somewhat loud the first night in the lobby...the third night it was very loud on the front porch, also right outside our room, and with no one at the desk to ask folks to keep the noise down. I asked the kids to quiet down because my kids needed sleep, but it shouldn't be the guests job to conduct crowd control.
The rooms smelled of mildew. It's clearly an old property and with that comes charm, but unfortunately, it also came with smells. We had to wash all of our clean clothes when we got home because of the smell.
The hot tub was in operation for only 1 of 3 days we visited.

We probably won't be staying again. It's disappointing because this place has great potential, but there are just too many warts. I'm more than a little upset that I'll need to pay $20 for a parking ticket for parking where the desk told me to.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank garci1r
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I had to unexpectedly stay overnight on a business trip and found this little gem online. I arrived late and my key was left in an envelope on the desk (very quaint). The room was exactly what I needed, clean, good nights sleep and a quick bite to eat in the morning. I got a really good last minute deal, so I'm not sure what prices they charge during tourist season, so this may not be the best cost vs. value review in the history of hotel reviews.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank rharlow
Reviewed 15 June 2014

This is a quaint inn, almost B&B in its feel. The inn was built in the lTe 1890's, but is pretty well maintained. Relaxing atmosphere, nice & comfortable rooms, but the room we had was rather sparse: two beds (a king & a double), a table, and a mini fridge. Rates are quite reasonable for a tourist area; continental breakfast is included (cereal, coffee, juice, toast , & a waffle maker). I'd recommend paying the few extra dollars for a balcony room - very pleasant to sit on the balcony with cheese & crackers and a nice bottle of wine, watching the sunset. Really nice feature is that downtown Harbor Springs is about a 10 minute stroll down the road. The inn is located in a quiet neighborhood on a side street (your GPS nav system will help you get there on the first pass). The down sides: the walls are thin (I could hear the next door guest in the shower, even with my bathroom door closed), I've faucets in the tub took some getting used to, and there were two outlets for my chargers (one next to the bed& one in the bath). Otherwise, a nice experience & I will gladly stay there again. Note of caution, the inn is only open during the summer season, so call ahead to be sure they are open.

Room Tip: Request a balcony room - relaxing.