“Great Little Gem”
Review of Colonial Inn

Colonial Inn
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Harbor Springs
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I would give this hotel a 4.5, although it is not close to what one would consider a "5 Star Hotel." First off, I got a fantastic deal on expedia. Secondly, the location was amazing. I mean AMAZING. You can walk to town in about 10 minutes (along the water no less) and biking would have been ideal, although we didn't have bikes with us. If you walk in the opposite direction, you are in the cutest little northern Michigan neighborhood ever. Part of it is private, but we still walked through it. The houses and views were amazing. It was a very nice way to relax at the end of our nights. It was wonderful to see so many people (locals and visitors) out walking, jogging and biking at all hours of the day. No one seems to lock their house or their bikes up and there are kids galore - but it was wonderful to see them playing outdoors and loving summer!

Now to the hotel. Again, you can not beat the price if you keep an eye out for deals. The grounds were really cute and you it definitely has a 1950's charm to it, which we liked. The room was above average. It was clean and comfortable. There were some quirks: there were two entrances and when I first arrived the deadbolt to the two doors was not locked so you could literally push the two doors open from the outside. I didn't feel too safe at first, but realized it need to have the 3rd lock secured, and overall, I felt the area was incredibly safe.

The room was cute, the bathroom was big, and the shower was hot and clean. When I first arrived there was no one in sight, but you could call and someone came immediately. I never again saw another staff member, which I thought was odd, but I also didn't have the need so I guess that was fine.

I will definitely be staying here again next summer. It was peaceful, relaxing, and very family friendly. I would recommend this hotel if you are all about location and scenery!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Nikol C

Reviewed 4 July 2014

My husband and I recently stayed at the Colonial Inn since we were working in the area. From the outside, the hotel is lovely and the woman at the front desk was very nice. I know it is an old hotel, and that is what I was attracted to, but we found out that there is no elevator and in order to get ice, you have to walk all the way back down to the front desk. There were no desks in the room, no fridge, and since we were there on business I had no where to work from. I think I could have overlooked all of those things for a weekend but what topped the cake was when I WAS TAKING A SHOWER, I HEARD A TERRIBLE NOISE. THEN THE WATER TURNED FREEZING COLD AND THEN TURNED TO SCALDING HOT. I WENT TO GET OUT OF TUB AND GRABBED THE SAFETY BAR AND IT CAME OUT OF THE WALL AND INTO MY HAND. I WAS LUCKY I DIDN'T FALL, I JUST HIT THE WALL. The manager called me back and told me that it was an old hotel and they're still fixing it up. It would be wise to wait until they get it all fixed up. However, I do believe that the best thing about this place is the location.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
5  Thank Pat S
Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

We got a great deal on our stay so we chose the Colonial Inn. We were impressed by the room upon check in. It was a very white clean romantic feel with a fireplace. They should have advertised that they offered a fridge in the room because we almost did not book based in that, but decided to pack coolers as we were traveling with an infant. Location was nice very close to the water to take walks near but not to swim, however we were not looking to swim. Bed was super comfortable. The only disappointment was the continental breakfast. We arrived with an hour left of breakfast and everything was gone and not replenished. We were able to get a cup of coffee. Staff was cleaning dishes, and did not seem concerned that there was nothing hardly left.

• Stayed: June 2014
4  Thank Foodie48867
Reviewed 23 June 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Colonial Inn recently. We thoroughly enjoyed our visit to the Harbor Springs area. The hotel staff, including the front desk attendant, housekeeping and the adorable young bell hop were all very friendly and accommodating. The check in/check out process was very easy. Our rental unit was clean. The unit was very roomy and included a flat panel tv and gas fireplace. I was pleasantly surprised. You cannot beat the location. The waterfront is at the end of the short street. It is also a short walk away from town.
We look forward to visiting the area again and will look to stay at the Colonial Inn.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank chymba
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

We were very disappointed, have spent less & gotten a better! Quaint Inn but you stay on out lying buildings. NO HOT WATER, BARELY ANY HEAT IN ROOM, NO COFFEE POT IN ROOM, POOL COLD & DIRTY, SAME FOR HOT TUB, CONTINENTAL BREAKFAST IS JOKE WITH WEAK COFFEE! Best things about the place is location, harbor springs atmosphere, nice looking grounds, fireplace in room (but gives no warmth). With some improvements they can do better.. Sorry I had to review obvious!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Judy R
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We were at the Colonial for a soccer tournament weekend with our family and many more families from our same club. Here are the pros and cons.

Pros:
Our room was a king/double suite, and it was very spacious...terrific for a family of four and probably could have fit 2 more people.
The pool was nearby, as well as the bay and dock
The woman on duty was helpful when available
The price for the space we had was very good

Cons:
I got a parking ticket for parking on the street, right where the front desk told me to park!
Our room was right off the lobby...and it was somewhat loud the first night in the lobby...the third night it was very loud on the front porch, also right outside our room, and with no one at the desk to ask folks to keep the noise down. I asked the kids to quiet down because my kids needed sleep, but it shouldn't be the guests job to conduct crowd control.
The rooms smelled of mildew. It's clearly an old property and with that comes charm, but unfortunately, it also came with smells. We had to wash all of our clean clothes when we got home because of the smell.
The hot tub was in operation for only 1 of 3 days we visited.

We probably won't be staying again. It's disappointing because this place has great potential, but there are just too many warts. I'm more than a little upset that I'll need to pay $20 for a parking ticket for parking where the desk told me to.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank garci1r
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I had to unexpectedly stay overnight on a business trip and found this little gem online. I arrived late and my key was left in an envelope on the desk (very quaint). The room was exactly what I needed, clean, good nights sleep and a quick bite to eat in the morning. I got a really good last minute deal, so I'm not sure what prices they charge during tourist season, so this may not be the best cost vs. value review in the history of hotel reviews.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
#5 of 15 in Petoskey
Birchwood Inn
Birchwood Inn
#4 of 4 in Harbor Springs

Been to Colonial Inn? Share your experiences!