“Nice Old Hotel”

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Harbor Springs
Midland, Michigan
“Nice Old Hotel”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

My daughter and I stayed at this inn and enjoyed it. We had a good sized room with a table and chairs outside on the shared balcony where we played cards. The fireplace didn't seem to work and we could have used it in the morning. We had a fridge and the beds were ok. The bathroom looked a little shabby and could use some updating. The continental breakfast was pretty bad. They had one kind of cereal which I don't eat because of lactose issues. Fruit which was gone when we arrived, and very wimpy coffee. You could make a waffle if you wanted to wait for an hour. Not a place to have breakfast. Otherwise it was quiet and in a nice location.

Room Tip: Our room was at the end of the group and on the second floor so no one was going to walk past it.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank lenorecrawford

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Holland, Michigan USA
Reviewed 26 July 2014

This is not a 4 or 5 star hotel… but I really enjoy staying here. Have for years. Very clean, older, some would say, a little worn out but it has charm. Family owned and has a family feel. Walking distance to all Harbor Springs locations. Friendly staff. If you're tired or the chains… this is a nice alternative.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Marty O
Lexington
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I would give this hotel a 4.5, although it is not close to what one would consider a "5 Star Hotel." First off, I got a fantastic deal on expedia. Secondly, the location was amazing. I mean AMAZING. You can walk to town in about 10 minutes (along the water no less) and biking would have been ideal, although we didn't have bikes with us. If you walk in the opposite direction, you are in the cutest little northern Michigan neighborhood ever. Part of it is private, but we still walked through it. The houses and views were amazing. It was a very nice way to relax at the end of our nights. It was wonderful to see so many people (locals and visitors) out walking, jogging and biking at all hours of the day. No one seems to lock their house or their bikes up and there are kids galore - but it was wonderful to see them playing outdoors and loving summer!

Now to the hotel. Again, you can not beat the price if you keep an eye out for deals. The grounds were really cute and you it definitely has a 1950's charm to it, which we liked. The room was above average. It was clean and comfortable. There were some quirks: there were two entrances and when I first arrived the deadbolt to the two doors was not locked so you could literally push the two doors open from the outside. I didn't feel too safe at first, but realized it need to have the 3rd lock secured, and overall, I felt the area was incredibly safe.

The room was cute, the bathroom was big, and the shower was hot and clean. When I first arrived there was no one in sight, but you could call and someone came immediately. I never again saw another staff member, which I thought was odd, but I also didn't have the need so I guess that was fine.

I will definitely be staying here again next summer. It was peaceful, relaxing, and very family friendly. I would recommend this hotel if you are all about location and scenery!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Nikol C
Traverse City, Michigan
Reviewed 4 July 2014

My husband and I recently stayed at the Colonial Inn since we were working in the area. From the outside, the hotel is lovely and the woman at the front desk was very nice. I know it is an old hotel, and that is what I was attracted to, but we found out that there is no elevator and in order to get ice, you have to walk all the way back down to the front desk. There were no desks in the room, no fridge, and since we were there on business I had no where to work from. I think I could have overlooked all of those things for a weekend but what topped the cake was when I WAS TAKING A SHOWER, I HEARD A TERRIBLE NOISE. THEN THE WATER TURNED FREEZING COLD AND THEN TURNED TO SCALDING HOT. I WENT TO GET OUT OF TUB AND GRABBED THE SAFETY BAR AND IT CAME OUT OF THE WALL AND INTO MY HAND. I WAS LUCKY I DIDN'T FALL, I JUST HIT THE WALL. The manager called me back and told me that it was an old hotel and they're still fixing it up. It would be wise to wait until they get it all fixed up. However, I do believe that the best thing about this place is the location.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank Pat S
Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

We got a great deal on our stay so we chose the Colonial Inn. We were impressed by the room upon check in. It was a very white clean romantic feel with a fireplace. They should have advertised that they offered a fridge in the room because we almost did not book based in that, but decided to pack coolers as we were traveling with an infant. Location was nice very close to the water to take walks near but not to swim, however we were not looking to swim. Bed was super comfortable. The only disappointment was the continental breakfast. We arrived with an hour left of breakfast and everything was gone and not replenished. We were able to get a cup of coffee. Staff was cleaning dishes, and did not seem concerned that there was nothing hardly left.

• Stayed June 2014
4 Thank Foodie48867
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 23 June 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Colonial Inn recently. We thoroughly enjoyed our visit to the Harbor Springs area. The hotel staff, including the front desk attendant, housekeeping and the adorable young bell hop were all very friendly and accommodating. The check in/check out process was very easy. Our rental unit was clean. The unit was very roomy and included a flat panel tv and gas fireplace. I was pleasantly surprised. You cannot beat the location. The waterfront is at the end of the short street. It is also a short walk away from town.
We look forward to visiting the area again and will look to stay at the Colonial Inn.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank chymba
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

We were very disappointed, have spent less & gotten a better! Quaint Inn but you stay on out lying buildings. NO HOT WATER, BARELY ANY HEAT IN ROOM, NO COFFEE POT IN ROOM, POOL COLD & DIRTY, SAME FOR HOT TUB, CONTINENTAL BREAKFAST IS JOKE WITH WEAK COFFEE! Best things about the place is location, harbor springs atmosphere, nice looking grounds, fireplace in room (but gives no warmth). With some improvements they can do better.. Sorry I had to review obvious!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
#7 of 15 in Petoskey
Boyne Highlands Resort
Boyne Highlands Resort
#2 of 3 in Harbor Springs

Been to Colonial Inn? Share your experiences!