“A really nice place”

Lakeside Motel & Cottages
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Harrison
Reviewed 30 August 2013

I'm almost reluctant to give this place a good review for fear that we won't be able to get a room here in the future if too many people decide to stay here. We stayed at the Lakeside while participating in an off-roading weekend at nearby Rocks and Valleys. My first pleasant surprise was that the Lakeside is actually along a lake; and a very nice lake, not some bog. We stayed in one of the cabins. It was not large, but it was very clean and comfortable. Check in was easy and quick, as was check out. Our cabin was closest to the roadway and I worried that the traffic at night would disturb us, but we slept with the windows open and were never bothered, in part, because there is very little traffic at night. The cabins are equipped with A/C. There was also a t.v., DVD player, microwave, hot plate, and small fridge. The kitchenette is equipped with dishes, cups, glasses, flatware and utensils, so, if you wanted to, you could potentially make a simple meal in the cabin. We didn't. We ate breakfast at a diner about 1/4 mile up the road, and dinner at the bar about 1 mile up the road.
The management will loan you a rod and reel if you want to fish. There are chairs and picnic tables down by the lake, and you can have a fire.
We definately will stay here in the future. This is a really nice place.

Room Tip: The cottages are nice. We were in the cottage closest to the road, which was fine, but next time I...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 16 August 2013

We stayed at this very nice little motel for one night recently as we were in the area for an event. It was so nice (clean room, beautiful location right on a lake) that we are hoping to go back for a longer visit. We had breakfast nearby at the S&R Diner and would definitely go there again as well.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 January 2013

No pool but clean and better internet than the hotel we stayed at last year. Also $46 dollars cheaper and lakefront. Less than ten minutes from Snowsnake for tubers and skiers. And by the way there is a microwave and ice machine just outside the office.We had friendly staff and no problems during our stay. Thanks.

Room Tip: The picture on facebook is not me
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Carmella D
Reviewed 2 October 2012

This motel is right inside of Harrison, MI. It is a quaint little spot that is VERY clean, affordable, and run by friendly and helpful staff. The lake out back is gorgeous as well. There are plenty of chairs around the lake to just kick back, have a cocktail, and take in the scenery. The staff was very friendly as well. The first night we arrived it was LATE at night. The owner/manager answered the door bell ring in the freezing cold to give us our room key and wasn't even snappy or anything. I would have had a hard time cracking a mile in that situation, but he was quite patient and pleasant. Also have a AAA discount. YES!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Logan C
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Actually this is a very clean motel.It provides WI-FI, small frig, VCR and cable TV. The people who run it are very friendly and nice. They are very reasonably priced. We had a lake view room. We liked the rule that they have that it is quiet time between the hours of 11p.m. and 8 a.m. The only thing we did not like about it is that the shower is very small and that the mirror is behind you when you are facing the sink. (Atleast in the room we stayed in.)

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Chris S
Reviewed 3 July 2012

I have stayed here for three years in a row, when traveling up to Harrison to visit with my Cousins and their families. Over these past three years, I have found Lakeside Motel to have clean rooms, reasonable rates, a convenient location with a private beach, and pleasant, on-site owners who are very accommodating of an out-of-town traveler with a late arrival time. They are also generous with towels and linens, and provide free cable TV, a VHS tape library, and Wi-Fi for guests. Head left out of the parking lot and you will find a large Glen's Supermarket (think "Kroger") with a large gas station. Turn right out of the parking lot and you will find a couple of very good diners with excellent, inexpensive breakfasts. The center of town is only just down the road from the motel, a short drive away from the fairgrounds and airport.

Needless to say, I'll be staying there again, come this August...

Room Tip: All but three rooms face the lake. Suggest a room in either the middle or the end of the row, away...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Karen R
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Stayed here again for my business trip up to Harrison during busy season 2012. I love this place, it is always clean and the rooms stay warm (important in the middle of February). Hotel staff are always courteous and get me whatever I need. They will happily clean up the room every day or leave it alone per my request, which I like because I enjoy my privacy and would like to reduce wasted resources on cleaning an already clean room.

Internet worked wonderfully, fast and got the job done. I could easily synchronize my work back to the office whenever I needed and I could watch Netflix to sleep every night without any buffering problems (big deal for me as that is how I fall asleep).

Always appreciate the grounds and location as well, right over the lake, very serene. I have thoroughly enjoyed my stays here.

Room Tip: Rooms 4-12 have lake view while 1-3 are larger and/or have jacuzzis.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Harrison
Beachfront Hotel Houghton Lake Michigan
#1 of 1 in Clare
American Inn & Suites
American Inn & Suites
#5 of 15 in Houghton Lake

Been to Lakeside Motel & Cottages? Share your experiences!