“100% best campground.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Harrisville
Harrisville State Park
Reviewed 5 August 2013

I honestly love this campground. I had the most amazing weekend with my cousins here. Were were at site 104 and LOVED it. 103 is our choice for next year, backs up right to the water! But man, you can't beat site 104 or 103. Perfect location, secluded, near the restrooms but not to close. Campground is right on the water. We only ever left the campground to get ice! I loved the people, the environment, the welcoming staff. Only stayed for a weekend this last time but I plan on reserving a week if I can for next summer! Love it! I would recommend, 100%.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank jodikaylee

Reviewed 17 July 2013 via mobile

This was our first time camping on the northeast side of the state. We usually stick to state parks on Lake Michigan (Muskegon, Ludington and Petoskey State Parks). Lake Huron was beautiful! The beach was sandy with some rocks (pretty big ones randomly in the water) and the water was a beautiful turquoise, unlike I've seen at Lake Michigan. The campground was less wooded than others and our site was grassy but there was usually some portion that was shaded. We camped in a tent and our site was large. There are 2 bathrooms and the one on our side of the campground, only had 2 showers for women to use inside the bathroom. there was almost always a line. the bathrooms got really buggy between cleanings (as in expected while camping) but the mosquitos did not bother us much other than that. This was a great location to take some day excursions. We went to Alpena and visited the Thunder Bay Marine Sanctuary- that was a really cool FREE place! We also went to Lumbermans Monument and Sturgeon Point Lighthouse. We watched the fireworks right from the campground beach on the Saturday after the 4th of July, that was awesome!

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Emily B
Reviewed 7 July 2013

My family and I have camped at HSP once a year for 6-8 years now. Its a great State Park. I will say upfront its the only State Park I have camped at.

The contact post staff are always very helpful and friendly. Since we camp 4-7 days at a time, I get the non-resident yearly pass as its cheaper then paying day by day. Plus the pass is good for all the State Parks in Michigan. Its $30 for the year for a non-resident.

The park itself is well maintained. We usually try to go for the campsites in the 17-36 range as they tend to be more grass / trees and on the edge of the park. This way its a bit more private.

My family enjoys going for walks around the park and trails. When it gets too hot, the beach is a quick walk away and Lake Huron is always refreshing.

There are a couple of large bathrooms with showers that are usually pretty clean and tidy. Bring a set of flip flops for the showers as they can get messy sometimes.

Harrisville is a quick drive and short walk (less then 1 km) away. It has a grocery store, ice cream store, pizza place, drug store, laundry mat...etc.

Near the entrance to the park there is a great ice cream store. We always make sure to take the kids to it a few times for a treat.

Also at the park entrance is a set of train tracks. During the weekdays there is a 8-9p train that we take the kids to see. They put some coins on the tracks and get excited as the train goes over them.

But...... there is another train that comes through at 2-4am ish and blows its whistle at every crossing from Harrisville to the Park. So its pretty loud and will probably wake you up. After a couple of nights I didn't really notice it.

Overall I highly recommend this park for camping. Its our favorite and will be our benchmark for other State parks.

Room Tip: Go on the Michigan State Park website and select Harrisville State Park. You can view a map of the...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Al W
Reviewed 29 June 2013

What a park! Our site was on the outer rim. Very private. The beach was clean and pet friendly. Camp staff was very friendly. There is a truck that drives through the park selling wood by the rack for $25 a rack. Good deal if one is staying for a week. You can by small bundles from the machine. Restrooms are very clean. The only draw back would be the four showers in the park. They supply the sewer hose at the sanitation station so I didn't have to mess with my own. We'll be back next year!

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Rick S
Reviewed 10 June 2013 via mobile

Years ago we found a state park we loved and returned year after year. After purchasing a camper we decided to try other campgrounds. I am so glad we did. There were many things we liked about the park; the pet friendly beach, many great wooded sites to pick from, beautiful beach and nice trails to name a few.
The park staff were friendly and did a great job of monitoring the campground to make sure all the rules were followed. We arrived late and found it a nice touch that they had our name and site number posted in the window of the ranger station. We have already decided on our next visit to this campground.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Busylilmom
Reviewed 11 December 2012

We visit this State Park at least a couple of times each week. The beach is beautiful and the view outstanding! The park is always clean - even in the winter. We love to run or walk on the beach. The cabins that rent out are rustic- our favorite is by the picnic area.

• Stayed: October 2012
2  Thank LMcNic
Reviewed 4 September 2012

We were here last Sunday night. Our campsite was clean and right on the beach. We would definitely come back. Short walk to the cute town of Harrisville. The other campers we met were friendly. We camp in a 30 ft. motorhome and had no problems getting in or out.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Tamekaye
Also consider these accommodations in or near Harrisville
Camp Inn Lodge
Huron House Bed and Breakfast
Aspen Motor Inn
Aspen Motor Inn
#6 of 10 in Oscoda

Been to Harrisville State Park? Share your experiences!