“Excellent camping area” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Harrisville State Park

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Harrisville
Harrisville State Park
Midland, Michigan
“Excellent camping area”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

We spent the weekend at the State Park in Harrisville. There were two tents in our party, and our large lot had plenty of room for them. The recently upgraded bathrooms were clean, though busy. The bathroom facilities have many unisex shower rooms, which also contain toilets. When we arrived at 3 p.m. on Friday, all showers were full, and there are only 3 stalls in the restroom to use. There is another bathroom at the day use area, which was a short walk, and not used much. The beach is great and large, and there's an outside shower to rinse off before walking back to camp. As other reviewers have mentioned, firewood is available on-site at a unique vending machine, though we opted for the $25 load which was delivered to our site for us. The campground is very popular and was full on this weekend. Quiet hours begin at 10 p.m., though it was so noisy that our daughter couldn't go to sleep until almost 11:30 p.m., which was a problem. (This wasn't the campground's fault, but rather some noisy neighbors, though it would have been nice if quiet hours were enforced.) There are a lot of unsupervised children riding bikes on the road, so drivers have to be very careful, especially around the bathroom area. With the breeze from Lake Huron, I didn't noticed very many mosquitoes, which was nice, especially with the wooded areas. Overall, we would probably visit here again.

Room Tip: Make reservations online very early, especially if you want a beach-side site, which are fantastic!
Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Monkeybusiness23

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Atlanta, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

The beach area is okay, especially for Lake Huron. There is a nice bike trail to Harrisville and the Marina. There is a guy that can deliver firewood to you campsite. We only had bikes to get around as we had a motorhome. Fellow campers were very nice.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Mount Pleasant, Michigan, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2014

My boyfriend and I really enjoyed our stay at Harrisville State Park last summer. We camped out in a tent and had no problems at all! We stayed at one of the sites near the creek that ran through the park, which we loved because it was secluded. We noticed this is a popular spot for families, but we didn't mind. The beach was wonderful as well! We both feel asleep while laying out... thank goodness for no sunburns!

The only complaint I have is that the bathrooms weren't outstanding. They fulfilled their purpose, but they need to be remodeled. There were only a few bathhouses that each had 2 showers in them... needless to say, the woman's showers were hard to get in to. They were also very open, which I was not a fan either with all of the bugs flying around while you're showering! Overall though, we would had a good time and would love to come back and stay again!

Room Tip: Choose a site near the lake! They had incredible views; we tried to get one, but they were all booke...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jessica P
Huntington Woods, Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2013

This is a beautiful park in a beautiful forest which is sadly wall to wall full size RVs, even the few "rustic" sites they have are so close together you may as well be sharing a tent.
My husband and I were tent camping in nearyby Glennie and thought we'd check it out for their cabins. We are looking for a place to stay for weekend cross country sking this winter.
The two cabins they have would be perfect for that kind of thing. They are heated/cooled. No toilets/showers. But if your just going up for a night it would be fine.
For summer camping...not a chance in hell would I go there. That's sad because they have the best piece of land around and they ruined it.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Beth B
Mount Morris, Michigan, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2013

Harrisville State Park has a very nice public beach area with plenty of picnic tables and grills. There are clean bathrooms, though no place to really change into a swimsuit, like at Tawas Point. Highly recommend the public beach portion though, it is very nice. Now, for the campground. The campground itself really is nice. It is very wooded, beachfront sites, fire wood vending machine, modern bathrooms, nice paved trails. The campground itself we did not have much an issue with, it really was quite nice. It was our site location. We were on site 85, which is right next to a foot path to the bathroom. This was a HUGE mistake picking this site. I could not believe the amount of inconsiderate people who walked through our site. I do not mean walked on the path next to our site, I mean WALKED ACROSS OUR SITE!! I also could not believe parents were letting their children CONSTANTLY go back and forth on this path on their bikes spinning out and doing donuts in the gravel. The path is there for people to have easy access to the bathroom.... not to "play" on. I would think grown adults would have the decency to tell their kids to quit screwing around on it, AND on our site, but they didn't. The kids doing this were right on the site across from us, so yes their parents were around. Though I guess I should not have expected anything since their parents kept walking across our site as well. Do yourself a HUGE favor and DO NOT pick a site RIGHT on a foot path. You WILL regret it! This alone ruined our trip. It also did not help that loud mouth drunks came in the second night and were right behind us. I thought camping was a family activity to get you out of the city and into a quiet campground, evidently everyone does not feel this way. I understand these things were not the fault of the campground itself, however the "campground host" often drove around on their little moped and could/should be looking for people like this.... ESPECIALLY at night when people are trying to sleep!! Now, aside from all of that bad stuff I will cover some other things. The bathrooms were fairly clean, but two showers really doesn't seem like enough. There are two in the men's room and two in the ladies. The bathrooms at the Tawas campground were much cleaner and nicer and had more showers. I was up by 6:30am though so claiming a shower wasn't a problem for me. They offer a vending machine that dispenses bundles of wood. The price is $6.00 per bundle and it accepts credit cards...very cool! Also, there is a company that drives through offering wood for $25. These were large bundles... around 1/4 cord or so. The beach accessible from the campground was nice and clean, but very rocky in some spots. All in all this is a pretty nice campground. We will probably return, but it will be on a beachfront site, DEFINITELY not on a foot path. I like Tawas Point Campground a little better, however they have very few beachfront sites and the ones they do have are on the bay side. So if you're looking for a nice beachfront site Harrisville is probably the best bet. It looks like you definitely need to get your reservation in very early to get one though.

Room Tip: Do NOT reserve a site next to a footpath!!!!! You WILL regret it!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Brandy S
Lansing, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2013

I honestly love this campground. I had the most amazing weekend with my cousins here. Were were at site 104 and LOVED it. 103 is our choice for next year, backs up right to the water! But man, you can't beat site 104 or 103. Perfect location, secluded, near the restrooms but not to close. Campground is right on the water. We only ever left the campground to get ice! I loved the people, the environment, the welcoming staff. Only stayed for a weekend this last time but I plan on reserving a week if I can for next summer! Love it! I would recommend, 100%.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank jodikaylee
Lansing, Michigan, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2013 via mobile

This was our first time camping on the northeast side of the state. We usually stick to state parks on Lake Michigan (Muskegon, Ludington and Petoskey State Parks). Lake Huron was beautiful! The beach was sandy with some rocks (pretty big ones randomly in the water) and the water was a beautiful turquoise, unlike I've seen at Lake Michigan. The campground was less wooded than others and our site was grassy but there was usually some portion that was shaded. We camped in a tent and our site was large. There are 2 bathrooms and the one on our side of the campground, only had 2 showers for women to use inside the bathroom. there was almost always a line. the bathrooms got really buggy between cleanings (as in expected while camping) but the mosquitos did not bother us much other than that. This was a great location to take some day excursions. We went to Alpena and visited the Thunder Bay Marine Sanctuary- that was a really cool FREE place! We also went to Lumbermans Monument and Sturgeon Point Lighthouse. We watched the fireworks right from the campground beach on the Saturday after the 4th of July, that was awesome!

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Emily B

Been to Harrisville State Park? Share your experiences!