“Mysterious bug bites”

Dunes Express Inn & Suites
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Hart
Reviewed 4 August 2013

I stayed in this hotel for 5 nights for work. The first night I was in the handicap room. It was next to the stairs (no elevator--everyone must use the stairs). Not very conductive to sleeping. When I got up the next morning, I noticed strange red marks all over my arms, face, body. I requested a new room so that I wouldn't be next to the stairs. As the day progressed, it became clear that the red marks were bug bites of some type. The hotel is pet friendly, so when I returned that night I asked the front desk staff if a dog had stayed in the room that I had been in the previous night. I was told that a dog had never stayed in that room. I showed them my arms which were covered in bites that had swollen up. They told me that I must have had them before coming to their hotel. Unfortunately there is not other choices for hotels in that area, so I continued my stay since I had to be in the area for work. I was able to get into see a doctor and was told that the bites were either bed bugs or fleas. If I was going to stay there again (which I won't be), I would carefully check the room for fleas and/or bedbugs before sleeping in their beds.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank thatgirl0101

Reviewed 3 August 2013

Stayed here many years ago for a trip to Silver Lake when our kids were young. Now our boys are teenagers and we returned with the addition of a girlfriend to the crew. We requested a rollaway bed (our first experience with one) and the girlfriend used this while our family used the two queen beds. I felt badly for the girlfriend who ended up with a rather uncomfortable bed, though the rooms are large enough to accommodate the additional bed. If I were to do a rollaway again, I would bring one of those foam tops for the rollaway to make it a better sleeping alternative. The family enjoyed the pool - nice size. As mentioned by others, the breakfast area is quite small - be aware and get out early to beat the rush. It is a short drive to many of the activities in the Silver Lake area but not far enough to cause a problem. Not a deluxe hotel but clean and convenient.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 July 2013

Stayed here for a weekend at Silver Lake. Wanted a brand name hotel and none in Silver Lake so we choose the Comfort Inn. Nice hotel for the money on a summer weekend. Hotel has the old fashioned bed spreads and I would never choose one of those but there wasn't any other hotel around that could accommodate us..we needed a king with a sofa bed...Comfort Inn had a king and a queen in one room. That was good but the bedspreads...gross. The breakfast was adequate but the seating wasn't. Maybe during the regular work week it might be but on a busy summer weekend, not enough room to sit and they don't allow you to take the food out of the breakfast area. Had a very nice big pool and hot tub. Would stay again Coffee in the lobby all day, that was a nice perk.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 March 2013 via mobile

Came here for a girls weekend. That is, my daughter, her 3 friends, and myself. Got a nice suite with an extra bedroom with a door. The pool is a little larger than most, and the staff was very friendly. Called the room after we got there, just to make sure everything was satisfactory. Hot coffee in the lobby, and a good breakfast. Once I got the girls settled, I even indulged in a little tanning. Thanks ladies, for a great stay!

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank Amy34
Reviewed 11 February 2013

After suffering from cabin fever, my friend and her three children and myself and my three children decided to come to the hotel for the pool. When I came to the desk, I inquired about the family rate and what it included, and the receptionist responded, saying it was a mother and a father and their 'biological children", prompting me to ask, "what if my children were adopted"? She actually told me she would need proof! She then proceeded to charge me $24 for myself and my three children to swim, which I didn't think was an unreasonable amount. She then proceeded to go through the same process with my friend and her three children and charged her $27. When we pointed out that she had just charged me $24 for the same thing, she told me that she was going to need more money from me. Even though our transaction was completed, and it was her fault, not mine. I asked her if she still needed money from me, even though it wasn't my fault, and she says "Of course". I then said that was fine, but we wouldn't be returning and she said "Fine". I was completely aghast, blown away by her rudeness. I have held my daughters birthday parties there for a few years now, but because of that one, amazingly rude experience, we won't be returning. I cannot testify to the quality of the rooms, because I have never stayed there.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Andrea B
Reviewed 15 January 2013

Our family was able to obtain 2 rooms at the last minute while we were on the road. The lady who answered the phone was extremely helpful in setting up our rooms and giving us directions to the hotel. Rooms were clean and quiet.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Rick S
Reviewed 10 September 2012

Easy to find right off the highway, coming back from Silver Lake in the dark not so much. Hotel is clean, large pool area nice beds. Full breakfast buffet, quite good, lots of choices. Near a Subway, McDonalds, local pizza joint and next to a Shopko. Must be good golf nearby, lots of golfers in the breakfast room. Value for the dollar in this area is very good and during things like Apple Fest other hotels in the area require a 2 night minimum stay.

Room Tip: Main floor rooms if you can't do stairs