“Nice if you are mute”

Whispering Waters Campground
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hastings
Whispering Waters Campground
Fishers, Indiana, United States
“Nice if you are mute”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2012

Let me preface this by saying that we were a very large group of friends camping with our families, a total of 23 including 12 kids ages 3-14.

Check in and set up went well and was impressed with the cleanliness of the campground and especially the bathrooms and showers. By far the cleanest bathrooms and showers I have EVER seen at a campground (honestly, made me think mine at home were dirty). That's the upside to our stay. We were the only tent campers in a sea of RV's with air conditioners humming and TV's bulging out of their sides.

Now the down side...
As a group we got the feeling that this is a "good old boys" club, not really keen on outsiders. Quiet time starts at 11pm, fair enough. We were told to police ourselves, again fair enough. We were told the next evening to keep it down by Roger the owner due to a few complaints the night before, gladly we did, shushing the kids and adults alike. Night 3 comes and again Roger shows up at our camp. Not only tells us to "shut up, or I'll shut you up" but them proceeded to tell our kids to use "inside voices". Did not sit well with us as parents and adults, but out of respect we shushed everyone all night again.
The next morning we spoke with our next door and closest neighbor a travel trailer owner who informed us that he never heard a peep from our group and that a lot of the big church groups that used to come and camp in that spot won't anymore due to the anti-noise harassment.

In conclusion, this was a great campground for the retired RV folks who don't speak to one an other anymore.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
10 Thank Amy G

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Grand Rapids, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2012

a little background. we just purchased our new camper. we are follow that natural progression from backpacking, to tent camper, car camping, popup and now 30' trailer with all the toys.
dicied we better give it a try close to home, as we have never camper like this before. it turn out the be great. roger (the owner) was a hoot. we are easy going ourselves - so out personality meshed well.
most of the sites are seasonal. but all the full hook up are very level, pull thru. fun are the explore. close to several towns and 20 in back to Grand rapids.
the kayaking, cannoning and tubing are excellent. it is the thorn apple river, but not anything like downstream. up here is crystal clear, spring feed. just the right speed to spend a carefree afternoon. my 4 y/o son and i stopped at a sand bar to be boys and jump in. my wife enjoyed watching us play. it doesn't get any better. when you are done, you land right at the camp ground.

the pool for great. is is just a nice little place. beats the big 300 plus sites with no trees and campers stacked on to of each other. we meet great neighbors on both sides of us.

i highly recommend this site.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2012

Who says you have to go to the over packed state parks on the "big" lake to have a great mini-cation? We don't! Our family loves this spot b/c of the simplicity of planning a trip here. It starts w/Roger's ability to make us feel like we're the only thing "missing" from the campground! The full hook up pull thru spots make setting up easy. The clean sparkling pool is never over crowded, but always refreshing&fun! You can be as involved as you want w/the resident campground community...meaning there is an open invitation to join in, but no pressure or hassling if you'd prefer to keep to yourself. We'll be back for sure!

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank AnneInOhio
Holland,MI
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2010

Me and a group of friends went to Whispering Waters Campground in Hastings, MI Just to go relax and go tubing.
We got there around 4pm and once we got there. We were treated like 2nd class citizen "Must be that we were Asian"
Drove from Holland, MI about 1hr drive there.
When we pulled into the camp ground we were being eyed at by the camp staff, by the old white hair Caucasian male.
I went up to him to ask a few questions about tubing, pricing rental etc...
I was being nice and courteous and he just seems very racist. Yes RACIST.
When we got done talking we agreed to do the tubing trip $7 a person and we had 9 friends with us.
He told us to go park our vehicle in the designated parking area.
We were unpacking our gear, food, and our own floats and coolers for the tube trip, It hasn't been 5min yet he came to the parking area and said so RUDELY "are YOU GUYS DONE were waiting for you guys!". and I replied no we are not done yet.
And he said "This is not going to work" so he declined our business and just drove off in his golf cart.
We ended going to Muskegon to go tubing instead. great place.
and a other tubing/kayak in Hastings, MI u rentem canoe http://urentemcanoe.com/

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
9 Thank Randy616
Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2009

My husband and I wanted to go camping,,,I thougth it wouldn't be fun as I have a handicap (which limits some of my outdoor activities). Boy was I WRONG !!
Once you get there you feel so welcomed in and your treated like family !! They have both small and big sites, and the buildings are handicap accessable.
We did everything from walks, to kayaking- (yes they even helped me get in so I could enjoy the day with my family instead of "staying behind" !! ). As if spending the day on the river was not fun enough, After your stuffed from the get together dinner, as we met others and it was like family night-everyone bought a dish to pass..it was totally awesome the entire day !!!..they have ice cream socials where everyone comes together and laughs and visits, (again they make sure you get to the pavilion (They even offered to carry me if needed- but there was a way for me to get down to the pavilion with my wheelchair)
But no...not done yet !!---------
They picked us all up for a "Hey- ride" .... we had so much fun we laughed so hard we were all (yes all) brought to tears from laughter !!!!!!!
As the night trickled down- a quietness came across the campground- talk about sensational.........thinking back on the day --- how the owners and the workers helped in any way possible to make sure our stay was the way WE wanted it to be, being on the river, watching kids catch that first fish---and others with there strings of fish....listening to the kids play on the playground-- the laughter and squeels from my husband and step son playing in the pool...such closeness you feel with your family and your new friends we made during the day....right down to the crackel of the fire late at night watching the loved ones walk hand in hand down the paths....
You want to talk about fun, excitment, serinity, peacefullness, and the most welcomed feeling ever-then go where we did.
We even went back again another time---and they REMEMBERED US !! They treated us like family that they were so happy to see !! The bathrooms were just as spick and span clean as before,(not buggy like most)- they still had events going on, the water for the showers was just as hot NO MATTER how many people went before you, but the closeness of our family and the love the owners showed was again totally AWESOME !!
What a blessed place Whispering Waters is. My husband,step-son, and myself totally and compleatly enjoyed our entire weekend and will return again and again....
Thankyou Whispering Waters for making our weekends with you so pleasurable and memorable !!!
The Stevens

• Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank uldatnmo
Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2008

We camped here via Tent on a Primative campground. Everyone here was incrediably friendly. The whole staff treats you as they have known you for years.

The bathrooms are extremely clean with showers with plenty of hot water. I highly recommend the kayaking. They also offer tubing and canoeing. Reasonably priced and fun.

I highly recommend this place for young and old, families, singles and couples :)

• Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
2 Thank jensaygoodbye
Toledo, OH
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2006

The owners Roger and Uta Vilmont give a special touch to managing and day to day operations of this campground. We were first time visitor this past weekend - however they made us feel as if we were old friends coming back to camp.

This campground offers a small but heated and clean swimming pool, campstore with reasonably priced items, clean sites, and access to river tubing, canoeing or kayaking.

Located in the middle of Michigan it's central from all points and a nice get away. There are plenty of seasonal sites - and what appears to be a good number of full time campers there - all with meticuliously kept trailers and sites.

There is a Walmart and KMart just around the corner should you forget your kids bathing suite..as well as a dozen little lakes in the immediate area for day trips.

Try them out!!!

3 Thank roxxi2
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hastings
Holiday Inn Express
#1 of 1 in Shelbyville
No photo provided
Parkview Motel
#3 of 5 in Hastings

Been to Whispering Waters Campground? Share your experiences!