“Excellent Fodd”

Pi's Thai Cuisine
Ranked #3 of 32 Restaurants in Hazel Park
Cuisines: Thai
Reviewed 11 April 2013

My visit was the first time I have tried Thai food. I have to say that is definitely a favorite food of mine now after visiting this place. The food was amazing. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The food is cooked very fast and the restaurant is very clean. The photos on their website show much smaller portions than what they really give, I was very full after my meal. I can't wait until I am back in the area so that I can visit this place again!

1  Thank Thuston

Reviewed 11 July 2012

I've passed by this little place dozens of times over the years. It's on John R at 10 Mile Road in Hazel Park. I'll be brutally honest. From the outside it looks like a run down, white washed shack. And that's one reason I didn't stop. Today I had a meeting that would take me right past Pi's and was in the mood for Thai so I dropped by and I'm glad I did!

As soon as I opened the door my whole impression of the place changed. It was very clean and staffed by three very friendly mainly non-English speaking women and a very nice young man. This is a very small little place. They probably had maybe 5 tables. A vast majority of the orders were take-outs. I got there just as the restaurant opened promptly at 11am and yet several people were already coming by to pick up orders. I knew this was a good sign.

I ordered Pad Seew (or however this particular place spells it) which consists of large, flat rice noodles, a sweet and salty dark sauce, broccoli, and egg. You choose your meat if you want meat and I went with chicken. My wife asked me to pick up a cashew chicken dish for her.

I've got to level with you. My Pad Seew was right up there with some of the best I've ever had in the Detroit area. It was seasoned beautifully and not too sweet like too many places turn it out. I asked for medium heat and the kind woman warned me it would be too hot. So I asked her to cut it back just a bit. It was perfect.

I didn't pay too much attention to my wife's cashew chicken. I was too busy devouring my own lunch! But she agreed it was some of the best she's had, too.

I also ordered two spring rolls for each of us but we were way to full to have them for lunch. We're doing to dive into them tonight. But they look great and the menu says they were made in-house.

Based on our first taste here--and it won't be our last--I'd highly recommend Pi's Thai Cuisine to you. Nothing at all rubbed me the wrong way here. So to my fellow Metro Detroiters - don't let the run down appearance of this restaurant stop you from experiencing it!

Reviewed 10 November 2010

I was glad I read the reviews and restaurant info ahead of time, because we had no cash PLUS we had the baby with us...so we stopped at an ATM and decided on takeout! That said, I was sure I was going to give this place five stars because I can be a bit of a lemming, and all the other glowing reviews swayed me before we even got close to the place, but I'm sticking with four.

Read on, peeps.

Since there was no take-out menu, I had to just give hubby a few options and have him pick something. I had planned on studying the whole menu and maybe trying something outside my box, but was stuck in the car with the boy. This also means I didn't get a menu to take home (for next time) either. So that was a bit of a disappointment right off the top.

My Pad Thai was good--but it was WAAAY too hot...which surprised me because Pad Thai is not generally known to be a spicy dish (as far as I am aware). Although I am all about a bit of spice in my dishes (I've even been known to order a Medium now and again), I did read the reviews that said Pi's spices are in a totally different class than anything I'd be used to at normal Thai places. And I understood that. But I still did not expect Pad Thai to make my nose run and stop me from eating at a normal pace! I asked hubby (who went in and did the ordering) if the menu said it was spicy or if he asked for spicier and he said no to both. Which to me means that's their NORMAL spice level. Yikes.

Hubby got some curry dish with rice, chicken, and green peppers--and it had just a faint tinge of spice to it (perfect for us!). He did tell them "no spice" and the woman behind the counter laughed and said "EVERYTHING IS SPICY! There is no 'no spice' here!" But maybe asking for no spice was the trick to getting a completely non-spicy dish?!

One thing I noticed about both dishes was that there was no sauce to speak of. Now, in normal Thai places we've been to, there is always a bit of sauce in the dish (both in his curry dishes and my Pad Thai). And I don't mean dripping sauce like a gravy or anything, but at least a substance you can actually SEE on the noodles or the rice. But these dishes were completely "naked" so-to-speak, yet were still SO VERY TASTY! Amazing.

The crab rangoons and chicken sticks (I think that's what hubby called them?) were also very good. The crab rangoon looked a little overdone (the wonton wrappers were brown, bordering on dark brown) but they tasted perfect! Everything was also piping hot temperature-wise, and stayed hot through our 15-minute drive home. Impressive.

I asked hubby if we would have wanted to eat inside and he paused...then said no. But he did say he definitely saw some regulars in there (one guy walked in and asked "What are you going to cook for me today?"). We might have eaten there had we not had our 6-month old with us.

So four stars because of their cash only policy, a too-spicy Pad Thai, no take-out menu, and lack of decent dining-in facilities. But we'd definitely go back!!

Reviewed 3 July 2010

I've been to a couple of the local Thai restaurants, but without a doubt, Pi's is the best. Nothing beats their chicken Pad Thai , mild is still spicy and oh-so-good!

Plan on carrying out, there are a couple of tables, but it's really cramped if you decide to eat there.

Reviewed 23 July 2009

I grew up 1/2 Mile from this place and ate there regularly. Moved to SC, AZ, And now IL have not found anything that compares. N2 W/Chicken every time Mild has a good flavor and Medium will clear any sinus problems you might have! MMMMM!