CityFlatsHotel - Holland
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Teerman Lofts(Holland)
Economy Inn(Holland)
View Hotel
All reviewscity flatscityflats hoteltop floorcool hotelrooftop restaurantroom layoutcomfortable bedunique hotelwithin walking distancecomplimentary coffeewalk in showershops and restaurantsmodern decorloved this hotelgrand rapidsjunior suitea great place to stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Pros: Location. Three blocks from the concert we were attending that night.
Cons: Make the rooms comfortable, convenient and pleasant to stay in. Include a reasonable breakfast buffet.
This hotel has a wacky, ultra modern decor which we thought would be fun and interesting to see. But like a work of modern art, the designers of these rooms valued modern and different over comfortable and convenient. If any of the designers had actually slept in one of these rooms, I'm sure they would have made many changes. For example, in order to turn off the bed side lamps, you actually had to get out of bed and walk over to the light switch on the wall! The bed had a soft, squishy mattress that felt like a hammock. Even with a better mattress, I wouldn't have slept well since every time the heat went on, it sounded like an 18 wheeler was driving thorugh the room. The goofy, artistic looking shower dribbled water down straight on your head, so if you didn't want to get your hair wet, you were out of luck since there were not shower caps. This was also the first hotel room I've been in years in the US or Europe which did not have a coffee maker in the room. You could go down to the bar/lobby and buy a cup of coffee for $3.00, which seemed less than convenient. The restaurant featured featured small portions of "trendy" but not especially tasty food served on tables covered with brown butcher paper! I ordered soup but couldn't eat it since they had only given me a fork and couldn't find any soup spoons! I could go on and on but I think you get the idea here!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank HarpDivaCK
CityFlatsHotel, Public Relations Manager at CityFlatsHotel - Holland, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2013

Thank you for taking the time to give us a review. We are very sorry to hear your stay wasn't what you thought it would be. Our design is very different from other hotels, and are sorry to hear that your room wasn't very comfortable for you. Most things are a matter of personal preference and unfortunately our softer mattresses and simulated rain shower heads just didn't work for you and we are very sorry. We will definitely check our in-room heating systems to make sure they are all working properly, since they do not normally work so loudly. Finally, we have chosen not to put coffee makers in the room because of energy usage and increased waste, but we always have complimentary coffee available in the lobby, 24/7.

If you have any other questions please feel free to email me at jack.peaphon@cityflatshotel.com and hopefully I can be of more help. Thanks!

Reviewed 3 December 2013

City Flats is a fun, well run, eco-friendly hotel. The room we had (king single) was excellent. The design of the hotel is modern Scandinavian and is quite beautiful. Our room was set up like a small suite, with a sitting area and TV that rotated between sitting area and bed. Beer geeks will be happy to know that they hotel is only a block away from the New Holland Brewing Company pub. Rate included a small continential breakfast buffet

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for choosing CityFlatsHotel. Isn't it great when you can just park the car and visit such a great downtown (and great beer!) just by walking? Cheers!

Reviewed 18 November 2013

My fiancé and I stayed at the City Flats hotel towards the end of a 30 day road trip across the country. I chose this hotel because it is one of the few LEED certified hotels that I have encountered, and my fiancé and I are both architects pursuing LEED accreditation. The hotel was extremely clean and obviously well designed, though we did feel as though a lot of the materials chosen were a bit "cold" or "hard". Regardless, City Flats was very accommodating and we appreciated the attention to detail put into the design and maintenance. We had hoped that our room would include a mini-fridge, but the concierge was kind of enough to let us use their staff fridge during our stay.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for the review. We are glad to hear you were so excited by, and personally attached to our LEED certification. Our hotel in Grand Rapids has also recently received LEED Gold certification as well. Thanks again, and en joy your travels!

Reviewed 8 November 2013

This is another review of City Flats, but totally better than my last visit. This just goes to show you that room selection is critical. Our last stay was in a handicap accessible room and we found it didn't excite us. The open shower was weird and the lighting was poor. This time I got a room with two beds and found it much brighter, the bathroom and separate shower were wonderful and overall, I think a much better sleep quality as well. The best thing was the incredible service. I was in town due to my mother being hospitalized and had no idea if I would be there one night or more. The front desk staff booked me for two nights and promised I could cancel the second night without penalty if I found out Mom was being discharged the following day. Great service.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the parking area toward 6th street are quieter than those facing 7th.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank dre51

Thanks for reviewing the CityFlatsHotel Holland again. We are very happy your recent stay was enjoyable and you really liked your room. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to make your stay even more enjoyable again in the future!

Reviewed 5 November 2013

I booked this hotel based on its website and pictures and was not disappointed at all. First time in Michigan and here to visit friends. Everyone working in the hotel is so friendly and everything is so clean and modern. Love the room decor, amazing bathroom and floor to ceiling windows looking out to the town. Location is great, close to nature walk, downtown shops and restaurants. Enjoyed the complimentary continental breakfasts on weekdays. City Vu Bistro on the top floor has lovely views and a good selection of food. Made my stay in Holland MI enjoyable and relaxing.

Room Tip: Staying on the highest floor of guest rooms is nice and has good views but tend to get all the noise from the upstairs restaurant and an unusual floor cleaning that took place around 3am one morning.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo

We are so happy to hear you had such an enjoyable stay. Hopefully you will be able to visit Holland again soon!

Thank you from all of our CityFlatsHotel staff