“Not my style”

Ranked #9 of 18 Hotels in Holland
granbury, tx
“Not my style”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

Ok, I admit I have just upgraded to Hampton Inns from Choice Hotels and had reserved a HI room in Holland until I drove to Holland the week before. As my wife and I would be taking the 8:26am train to CHI I figured CityFlats would be just a short walk to the train station.
I turned our rental car in the night prior, took the local bus to the transit depot and we had dinner and walked around downtown Holland, very nice.
In the morning we walked to the train station as planned. Perfect hotel location for this.
Upon entering our room facing the parking lot, my wife said she felt dizzy looking at the diagonal bed placement. We only got a $189. room, not a suite so we had the comfortable bed and an office chair for both of us to sit on.
The commode is in a small room with a bi-fold door. Another review mentioned what my wife said about having to get out of bed to turn the lights on or off.
I had to go to the front desk to have the lighting system explained to me again as it is beyond being logical.
There is a knob in the bathroom that looks like it would dim the lights and was told it adjusts the volume on the TV in bathroom. The 1 TV is not in the bathroom, but on a pole at the end of the bed and rotates 360 degrees.
There is complimentary coffee in lobby 24 hrs. and in the morning a Danish too. So if you have 2 cups and two rolls you have to put your breakfast on the elevator floor to swipe your room card before the elevator will move, and perhaps again to get in your room. A tray would be helpful but probably not "green".
My wife had the same comment another reviewer had about the designer spending time in a mock-up room before it was built.
So in summary, the hotel was very convenient, but not my style.
Yea, I'm 75, travel frequently and like value. I got my $s worth at CityFlats because it was convenient.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank granbury511
CityFlatsHotel, Public Relations Manager at CityFlatsHotel - Holland, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Thank you so much for your review. So sorry to hear you didn't like the style of your room and your wife was unhappy with the position of the bed. I'll just mention a few things in case you ever visit Holland and decide to stay with us again. The master light switch turns all of the lights in the room on, then they work just like a regular room in that you can turn all of the lights in the room on and off by their specific switches. The knob in the bathroom is for TV volume, but just so you can listen, for instance, to the news or other programs while you get ready in the morning. Finally, we do have trays for breakfast, we would never expect anyone to put their food on the floor. Thank you again for taking the time to write a review, we truly look to these to increase our guest's satisfaction. Hopefully this helps a little. Please let me know if there is anything we can ever do for you in the future!
Jack Peaphon
jack.peaphon@cityflatshotel.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

I stayed in the King Master Suite in Holland, MI at CityFlats Hotel. The best hotel experience I have had to date. The bathrooms were amazingly large, with a huge soaking tub, and had everything you could need. I would actually sell my soul for one of the mattresses they had in my room. I was so comfortable I wanted to live on that mattress for the rest of my life. I cannot express how much of a good decision it was to stay here.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
CityFlatsHotel, Public Relations Manager at CityFlatsHotel - Holland, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Thank you! We are thrilled you liked them so much! if you are ever in need of a new mattress visit shop.cityflatshotel.com. We actually sell the handmade CityDrem mattresses through there!
Lake Orion, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

We chose the CityFlats hotel in Holland as we were planning a wedding. We came away nothing but impressed and happy! The staff was amazing, extremely accommodating, helpful, and friendly. The hotel smelled great, was extremely clean, beds were comfortable, and the food onsite was very good! We booked the Jr. Suite for the bride, and for the night of our wedding. It was perfect and met all of our needs! Thank you Ian, Debra, and Ben for making it a GREAT experience!

Room Tip: Jr Suite is very large with Fridge, Microwave, and Bathtub. The King and 2 Queen rooms don't ha...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Thanks for your review. Great to hear everything went to smoothly for you! I have passed your compliments along to our staff, I am sure they will appreciate hearing it!
London, Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

Loved this gem right downtown in Holland. The location is excellent. We parked our car and never had to use it. The hotel is modern and very clean, big wide hallways and a lovely fresh fragrance throughout. The beds were "to die for" -- sooooo comfortable, I didn't want to go home. The room and especially the bathroom was extremely spacious. The staff is very helpful and friendly... we felt right at home. When I called long distance from Canada to book our reservation, I dealt with Linda, who was so pleasant, professional and helpful. I can't say enough about the way she handled our booking. I was thrilled to meet her in person when we were checking in -- she welcomed us with her beautiful smile and was very patient with all our crazy questions. She is very knowledgeable, just a truly wonderful young woman. We look forward to definitely coming back... it just can't come soon enough!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank roadtrippair
CityFlatsHotel, Public Relations Manager at CityFlatsHotel - Holland, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Wow. Thank you so much for such a review, we are absolutely thrilled you had such a lovely time. We passed your compliments along to Linda, we agree, she is an asset and a wonderful person! Please let us know if there is every anything we can do for you in the future. Safe travels!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

Staying at City Flats for my Mom's birthday, we encountered some truly excellent staffers. Ian, Ben, and Sarah at reception all went above and beyond in making our visit a great one: answering questions, looking things up, giving directions, etc.

The hotel is spotlessly clean, modern,and thoughtfully designed. Really soft beds and bed linens, too.The food and cocktails at City Vu were fabulous and reasonably priced.

The 2nd floor cleaning crew took the time to show us a couple of other room styles for future visits.
Wonderful location, great place: we'll be back!

Room Tip: I'd request a room looking away from the parking lot.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
CityFlatsHotel, Public Relations Manager at CityFlatsHotel - Holland, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Thank you for staying with us at CityFlatsHotel - Holland! We are so happy you had a great time, and we appreciate you writing a review. I have passed your compliments along to our team!
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

This is ideally located, only 1 block from the shops and bars of Main Street. Reception staff were welcoming and friendly. It's vibrant with modern fresh styling. Our room was spacious, spotless and a unique design. The beds were the comfiest I have slept in for ages!!
All staff were helpful and we had a wonderful stay. Would definitely return!!! Helpful to have free wi fi and the breakfast coffee bar was great. Bar staff friendly and great selection.
Excellent value!!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank CasperUk
Thank you for such a nice review. We are so happy to hear you enjoyed every aspect of our hotel and restaurants. Hopefully you will have the chance to visit us again in the future!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

We stay at CityFlats whenever we want to spend some time on Lake MI. It's quite new, located a block from a vibrant downtown and very Green. Wonderfully designed rooms and suites, no 2 are the same. Great bathrooms, too. Very contemporary European spot. CityVu is l fine restaurant on the top floor of the hotel, and CitySen is a lively gathering place on the first floor. Great beds and quiet rooms!

Room Tip: We've stayed in different rooms each time, never disappointed.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Betsy B
CityFlatsHotel, Public Relations Manager at CityFlatsHotel - Holland, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and for your positive comments. Next you come to town, be sure to let us know that you would like to stay in a different room than you've stayed in before so you can have another experience with us. Have a great summer and we hope your travel plans bring you back to Holland soon!