“One of the best places I've ever stayed...”

WoodSpring Suites Grand Rapids Holland
Ranked #13 of 18 Hotels in Holland
Reviewed 31 July 2012

I've stayed at many hotels across the US, and I can easily say this is one of the best. I've been here for one month and plan to stay at least one more. In addition to being clean to almost a military standard (they even wash the blankets and bedspreads), it is very well managed. The staff is consistently professional and attentive. Having dealt with many hotels, I'm used to sometimes having to deal with staff who just don't really care about their jobs. It's the opposite here. They wear uniforms and perform their duties very efficiently. While relaxed and very friendly, security is also taken seriously, and I feel very safe here. It is uncommon for a place this inexpensive to keep standards consistently this high. Smoking is kept in a designated area so it's not blowing into the windows, and there are no drunks or dealers wandering around. The staff do regular patrols through the building and lots 24 hours a day, which prevents this type of thing from happening--which is usually a problem in inexpensive hotels. I haven't seen the police here at all in the last month. I like the fact that they are able to keep the place safe and comfortable for everyone while being very friendly as well. That's not always an easy thing to do. I think the ability to balance the two is a great reflection on the management as well as the staff. In addition to being inexpensive and very well managed, it's also one of the best locations I've seen--relative to what's nearby. There are two grocery stores across the street, Target and Walmart are a short walk, and the cabs are inexpensive and reliable. There's a mall across the highway, and pretty much anything I could ever need is immediately nearby. I almost moved into a regular apartment complex today, but decided that I just don't want to give this up. It's just an amazing deal, it's clean, safe, adjacent to everything, and gives me everything I need.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank MH M

Reviewed 23 April 2012

First off, I thought it wasn't such a bad deal when I made the reservation, when I arrived to my room I noticed the room had a strong odor, but assumed it must of been from their 99 cleaning process. Of course I could hear the door slam and people talk but it was still cheap. I only rented my room for a week and two days before I was scheduled to leave, Wednesday, I found out that the office was going to be closed for Good Friday. I spoke to a manager that same day and was told that there would still be somebody on call so I may check out and get my 100.00 deposit back. When it was time for my departure I called their after hour office number and the guy on the line asked me if I could wait till the next day to check out so I explained to him that I had a train to catch and I just needed to check out and get my deposit. After over 5 minutes of arguing with me on the phone he finally told me to call back when I'm ready to check out. I DID JUST THAT and he ignored all 15-20 of my calls. it was 7:30 am, nothing ridiculous. I had no choice but to leave the keys on the counter and take off because my train left at 8 am. It's been almost a month since my stay and after all those run around the staff pulled over the phone I barely got them to pull my file and I'll hopefully be getting my deposit soon, HOPEFULLY. Also about a week after I checked out my daughter showed symptoms of thrush, the doctor said she probably got it a little over a week ago. She just turned 8 months old and had never gotten thrush until then. Our stay at the Value Place, Holland, MI was the only environmental difference around her at that time. So if you plan on taking small children there, be weary about what she/he touches. Like I said, I thought the smell was from their cleaning process, but I'm not too sure if they actually clean or just make it look clean. So over all service was terrible, value was descent, sleep was o.k, cleanliness seemed good, but wasn't, room was convenient; came with small stove, fridge, and microwave

Room Tip: don't stay too close to the main door, my room was right next to it and all I heard was people c...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank LittleLilly21
Reviewed 16 January 2012

I am Dutch and rented a room for my 20-year old sun at VP for 4 months, starting August 2011. Reservation process went smooth and i negotiated a good deal. I joined my sun upon arrival and we got a good reception. Our one bed + sofa room was occupied, but we got an upgrade to a two bed studio. That was good news, as he could keep that room till the end. Apart from some problems with the tub (clogged), my sun had an excellent stay up to the end, just before xmas. I have been there 3 times in total and did not regret our decision to leave my sun there for a couple of months. It is not a 4 star Hilton, but it provides great value for the price you pay. Recommended for long stayers!

• Stayed: August 2011
2  Thank DutchTon
Heather L, Manager at WoodSpring Suites Grand Rapids Holland, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2012

We are pleased to hear that you and your son had a great experience with us at Value Place! We wish you well in your future travels!

Reviewed 15 June 2011

First let me start by telling everyone I never write reviews and this is the first one I have ever writen.
- The beds are hard as a rock
- I requested non-smoking and after trying a couple of rooms, I was still put in a room that smelled like an ash trey
- The Male night manager is a "PSYCHO", I am the most non-confrontational person and he went nuts yelling at me when I broght my concerns to his attention. Plus I saw him yelling at another guest while leaving the building another day. I'm not sure how he is not fired yet.
- There are odd noises and banging pipe noises that will keep you awake all hours of the night
- They will hit you up with multiple hidden charges
Run away , don't walk from this hotel. Pay just a little more for a place that knows how to treat their guest

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
12  Thank Thomas_Edwards34515
Reviewed 19 May 2011

The room rates ate first appear affordable, but by the time you pay for the extras you get free at other hotel chains it's even. They do not have 24 hour hotel staff and staff is here seems to be away from the desk more often then available. The worst is the lack of sleep you do not need to slam a door for it to echo through all 4 floors. If it is the main room door it will shake the building. The have blinds instead of curtains so the room is lit up by the flashing neon sign and highway traffic in this area picks up at night with big rigs. This is by far the worst hotel I have ever stayed at. The only good thing I can say about this Place is it is clean, but even that has it's negative it's clean but dingy and cheap. Plus if you rent a room here there are NO refunds! Please save yourself the headaches and go to a more peaceful service orientated place.

• Stayed: May 2011
9  Thank Bluecutlove
Reviewed 24 December 2010

I have been staying in value place, HOLLAND MI since Oct 18 2010 ( am a contrator on in Holland MI ) . when i called the motel to make a reservation and talked to the manager I was told that they have a monthly rate and asked if i would like to consider , which sounded like a good offer and so i took it . When i checked in, the single room i reservered was not available and so they gave me a double , but there was only one occupant . I was told that they will let me know when single room is available and that i could move then .

The trouble i had with this deal is as follows --
the next month when i went to renew the monthly rate i found the following - A monthly rate is for 4 weeks only ( 28 days ) and that the first months rate is less than the subsequent months rate . I wanted to move out to an apartment and wanted to continue for a week to find an apartment , then they said they can give me the same monthly rate.

now another month has past and a new manager has come in and is telling me that i have dues. Now i am asked to pay for all the rate discounts the previous manager has given me to persuade me to stay at Value place .

this is the most traumatic and embarassing experience i've had staying at value place .

These value stay places are tricky - make sure you have everything explained to you - if u are considering taking up any additional offers like monthly rates or something , absolutely make sure , that u are aware of what u are getting into . These places seems to be managed so poorly that they lack the professionalism at many of the more conventional hotels .

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
14  Thank Anarain
Reviewed 9 November 2010

Booked this hotel for a week in late October. The staff was friendly. Checkin was a little different than a normal hotel, but very easy. The facilities were all clean. The room was extremely clean. About the size of a typical 2* hotel room, small TV, kitchenette included sink, small microwave, and small stove top. Internet only worked with a 3' cord provided by the hotel (no wireless available). The room was a decent value from first look.

The front office is only open from 9-6:00. Be very careful where they assign your room. Request the room furthest from the door and preferably on the top floor. I was assigned a first floor room next to the door. The walls are paper thin, and guests come and go at all hours of the night. Each night I woke up at least one time (one night I was only able to sleep 2 hours) because of doors slamming, or people yelling - I'm normally a very heavy sleeper. Because the staff if only there 9-6, and I was working during those hours, it was extremely inconvenient, if not impossible to change rooms. In the mornings, I was awoken to vehicles being started and warmed up at arond 4:30.

The hotel policy says no pets, but I encountered two huge dogs being walked into the room and upstairs the last evening I was there - definately not a room I'd want. Great concept, and good prices - the noise drove me away though. I won't be back.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business