“Would stay again and recommend” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Express Holland

Holiday Inn Express Holland
Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in Holland
Chicago, Illinois
“Would stay again and recommend”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

This is my second stay at a HIE in the last month, both were very good experiences. I'll keep this to bullet points for ease of reading:
Pros:
* Very friendly staff
* Large, inviting lobby. Like the Tulip theamed photography here.
* Excellent free breakfast - you can make it healthy or not due to lots of choices. Hard boiled eggs, yogurt, fruit, bagels, pancake maker (yum and fresh), cereal, sausage, biscuits and gravy, etc.
* Indoor pool looked very inviting though I did not use it. It is large and in a sunny, front, main floor location, not tucked away in some dingy back corner. Hot tub is interesting in that it is half inside and half outside.
*Comfortable beds and linens. All beds have two soft pillows and two firm pillows so everyone is satisfied.
* Clean rooms, tastefully decorated. Love the beachy photographs on the walls.
* Large, nicely appointed bathrooms. At this location, however, the vanity is is the bathroom. The other location I stayed at the vanity was very large and just outside of the shower / toilet room. Made it nice so two people could get prepped at the same time.
* Rooms seem to be well insulated. The hotel parking lot was very full, so I anticipated a noisy night. Didn't hear a thing.

Cons:
* The location is so-so. It is safe, but I do like being within walking distance of downtown Holland. City Flats is the only hotel that has that distinction, but they don't have a decent free breakfast nor a pool if that's your thing.
* I had this same issue at both HIEs. The thermostats are really confusing. I couldn't get this one to change. Since I was already tired and in PJs, I really didn't want to call maintenance. when I talked to the front desk girl about it in the morning, she said the thermostats are tempermental. Why not just change them? Management, Please?
* I would love to have TV service in the room that tells you what is on, not just what channel it is. With no guide as to the shows, it is a drag to search around and try to figure out what is on.
* The staff in the breakfast area was very nice, but one thing did gross me out. The lady stuck her hand into the trash bin to stuff things down, and then proceeded to wipe up tables and the counter where the food is displayed without a hand wash in between. She was trying to use her other hand as much as possible, but it was still nasty. Not sure the health department would approve.
* Suggestion for the breakfast area......get trash bins that don't require guests to touch the door to open them. When guests are going back up for more food, you want them to take a clean plate, so they throw the last one away. Not too sanitary to keep eating then.

Overall, a very nice stay!

Room Tip: I stayed on the fourth floor (top). Nice to not have footsteps above us all night.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
bflavin, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Holland, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
BolingbrookKaren,
Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your recent visit to Holland, MI and for providing us with feedback about your stay. I am glad you enjoyed our large and inviting lobby and that you found plenty of options on our breakfast buffet. I would like to apologize for the inconveniences that you encountered on you stay with us. I will be sure to bring up the thermostat issues in our next meeting and see if we can find away to fix this problem in the future. The channel guides on the TV is something that is out of our control and that our cable provider is currently working on a solution for. Thank you again for choosing to stay with us and we hope to have you stay with us again in the future. Have a great day!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Michigan's Upper Peninsula
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

If you notice a lot of my other reviews, we stay in HIE's quite a bit, there is a reason for this. They offer everything I've come to expect in a hotel when traveling. From polite and willing staff, super clean rooms, the most comfortable beds and pillows and nice breakfast offerings. The Holland HIE is no exception, love the location, plenty of shopping and dining choices nearby. We'll definitely be back in the future! This hotel also has a huge pool!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank dexter5
Bismarck, North Dakota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

Nice Hotel, good location, very kind and caring staff, spent a week there while working,
Comfortable bed, clean, breakfast was complimentary, variety including a pancake machine, waffle machine, cereal, juice, biscuits and gravy. .

Room Tip: We were on the third floor, rooms were quiet.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
bflavin, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Holland, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Wadna D,
First, I would like to thank you for choosing to stay with us during your recent trip to Holland and for providing us with feedback about your stay. I am glad that you felt at home and well treated by our staff during your stay. Our goal is always to provide you the guest with the best possible experience while you stay with us. I am pleased to hear as always that the room was clean and comfortable and that the breakfast provided you with a nice variety of options. Thank you again for choosing to stay with us and we hope to see you again in the future.
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014 via mobile

I booked this hotel because the other preferred hotel named by my company was the next Door Hampton and I haven't had good luck with hilton hotels. This hotel is very nice and clean. Has a great hot tub and pool area. Breakfast was very good. Beds were comfortable and the room was well kept. The staff was very friendly and the manager who checked me in was cute, which was an added bonus. However the water pressure was pretty weak and this is my second time at a holiday inn express(not second time here) where the internet was painfully slow. I couldn't watch Netflix or really surf the internet at all. The walls are thin and it sounded like my neighbor had a kid next door who was running back and forth for hours. I slept well though and had an overall good experience. I'd stay here again.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank tab32
bflavin, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Holland, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
tab32,
I would first like to thank you on behalf of our team for choosing to stay at our property and for providing us with feedback about your experience. I am glad that you enjoyed our clean rooms, pool area, and that you found our breakfast satisfying. I would like to apologize for the painfully slow internet that kept you from watching Netflix and surfing the internet during your stay. I will be sure to check the settings to ensure that our properties internet is functioning properly and up to speed. Again, thank you for choosing to stay with us and have a wonderful day.
Royal Oak, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2014 via mobile

Take the fact that there were 11,000 children at this hotel (exaggerating) LOL The front desk was super friendly. The room was super clean. Overall great value. The indoor/outdoor hot tub was very nice as well. If you are in the Holland area this hotel is a must.

Stayed March 2014
1 Thank YoYoManDTW
bflavin, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Holland, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
Kevin D,
Thank you for taking the time out of your day and for providing us with positive feedback on your recent stay in Holland. I am glad you found the pool area nice and the staff friendly even though there were "11,000" kids running around. We look forward to hosting you at our property on your next visit to Holland. Have a wonderful day.
Metro Detroit
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2014

My family was here for hockey tournament. The rooms were large and clean. The complementary breakfast was great (pancake machine, eggs cereal, fruit, danishes etc) The pool was very large and great for adults and kids. The hotel is near many restaurants and a Meijer grocery store.

My only complaints was that the walls are thin and you could hear every footstep in the hallway and during our stay, the elevator would not open on floor 2.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank M W
Novi, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2014

Our Mite hockey team stayed here for a tournament. The rooms were clean, large, and well appointed. Each room had a microwave and a mini-fridge. It looks like the hotel was recently updated. The continental breakfast was great - pancakes, bagels, danish, cinnamon rolls, fruit, oatmeal, eggs, cereal, and juice - no meat, though. Pool area was great for the kids; there is a small game room on the second floor. Also, hotel policy was that all kids had to be in their rooms by 10:30PM - sure enough, they were and we didn't have to listen to any hallway running or slamming doors (par for the course at a tournament). The hotel is conveniently located to the ice arena - about a 5 minute drive.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Michelle H
bflavin, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Holland, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
Michelle H,
I would like to start off by thanking you for choosing to stay with us during you recent visit to Holland during your hockey tournament. I am glad that you and your family enjoyed our large and well appointed rooms with microwaves, and mini-fridges. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our deluxe continental breakfast in the morning and the pool and game room area during your stay. We hope you and your team choose to stay with us again in the future.

Have a great day!