“Set low expectaions”
Review of Economy Inn

Economy Inn
Ranked #18 of 18 Hotels in Holland
Reviewed 29 July 2011

We choose this hotel because it was one of the cheaper places to stay in Holland that allowed dogs. The woman who checked us in seemed a little disheveled and appeared to be living there with a child and dog. I was a little surprised when they charged us at checked in (no pet deposit or anything) and not after we checked out the next day. Our room had two double beds and other than a dirty towel left on the bathroom door it seemed to be clean. However the room did smell like cigarette smoke. The location of the hotel is convenient to Holland and Saugatuck attractions. The restaurant in the attached parking lot, The Wooden Shoe, has great breakfast. At first, I was a little concerned about our staying there, but no one bothered us and for an overnight stay it was not too bad. However if I was staying more than a few days I would probably want to stay somewhere a little more nice and welcoming.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank MiMerryTravels

Reviewed 3 July 2011

dirt walls, sticky floors, stained furniture, and cigarette burns in bedding. My husband turned the light on in the bathroom and the light fixture fell from the ceiling, he could barley close the bathroom door because the toilet was too big and the door got stuck on it. When he got the door shut there was pee all over the walls. The next morning my kids wanted the "continental" breakfast, and all that was there was stale cereal, and make your own waffles. When my oldest finished making her waffle there was a bug cooked in it, so she didn't eat it, and my youngest wanted cereal and it was stale. I would NOT recommend this hotel to anyone at all!!!! And most hotels have bibles and alarm clocks in the rooms and there was neither in ours, i'm glad my cell phone has an alram on it. It seemed like most of the people there are actually long term residents, they had taken chairs from the rooms and made a smoking/drinking area by the fence, and there were mulitple shopping carts in the parking lot with young kids playing on them, we had to continue to look out the window to make sure our van was safe.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank bellybeth0601
Reviewed 2 May 2011

me and my fiance stayed the weekend there. We called to find out the price. they told us $88.00 for two nights. When we got there they charged us $110.00. The fridge didn't even get cold. the microwave stank. the bed sheets had stains. the furniture was stained and smelled horrible. the carpet was sticky and nasty. the air/heat thing was covered in dust and dripped water. the towels were the size of like a wash cloth. When we asked for more towels it took them two and a half hours and they only brought one. The ice bucket had dirt inside of it and the counter was disgustingly dirty. the toilet didnt flush. the shower didnt even have a shower head! it looked like a water hose coming out of the wall. the tub had soap scum in it. it was so not worth $110.00.. i asked for a refund before we even stayed for the first night and the lady would not give us a refund. i was pissed. worst place ever!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank livelaughl0ve23
Reviewed 21 September 2010

this motel should read the roach motel yes folks they have them and thiers smashed flys on the dirty windows that neaver get washed. the rooms smell like urine and thiers hair in the towels and bath room and the microwaves in the rooms are neaver cleaned any more then the small fridges are. the carpet is disgusting and has not been replaced or shampooed in avery long time. for get this one folks its bad !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
3  Thank mygosh
Reviewed 5 August 2010

i stayed at that hellhole for over a month and a half.my company footed the bill.some how
they got my debit card.and charged me 200 dollars a month after my stay.its funny because the weekely rate is 172.75 not 200$.i never gave them my card #.i dont know how they stole since my room was never cleaned.i had to wash my own sheets after working 12 hours a day in extreme heat.i am going to contact the better buisness bureau.i will call and ask too be reimbursed one more time.i might even call the cops.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank captporkchop
Reviewed 4 May 2009

Our keys to the room would not open the door, so an employee told us to leave for a while, leave the room unlocked and he would change the battery. We did NOT leave our room unlocked, but lock was not fixed when we returned. Told us to wait in that room while another was being "cleaned". My daughter and I used disinfectant wipes on the table, the sink, counter, stool, tub and bath floor. The wipes were filthy. Carpet was badly worn and dirty.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank dissatisfied50
Reviewed 10 March 2009

This place puts the Econo in Econo Lodge. If you didn't like the HBO selections, the TV had little else to offer. No decent cable channels available. The breakfast was very poor; half a loaf of white bread, 3 cinnamon bscts, limited, limited, limited.

We knew coming in this was a basic place based on the rates, but this was our worst Econo Lodge experience. The first room had a broken toilet, so we had to move. Desk clerk was friendly and competent, and apologized for the room problem; I know that she had no control of the things we disliked. This was not a good value for the money.

I don't normally respond to review requests, as I think a lot of them are overly critical, but this one reached our limits. We had many years of traveling where Motel 6's and Super 8's were all that fit the budget, so I don't think we're overly picky about places, but . . ..

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple