“PERFECT!!!”

Ranked #6 of 18 Hotels in Holland
Illinois
“PERFECT!!!”
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Absolutely perfect 3-night stay for a girls' weekend! Complimentary breakfast bar was a bit different each morning - coffee, juices and milk, fresh fruit, yogurt/toppings, a large selection of cereals, muffins and bagels, toast and jellies, waffles, scrambled eggs, sausage, biscuits and gravy, hash browns, breakfast burrito. The breakfast was well-prepared and delicious! In the evening, there was complimentary soup and salad bar as well as ice tea, lemonade and wine (2-drink minimum). It too, was delicious! I think the light evening meal may only be a few evenings a week, not sure. We had a 2-bedroom, 2-bathroom suite (very roomy) that was extremely clean. The full kitchen was well equipped with condiments (coffee, salt/pepper, etc.), paper towels, dishes, etc. Great water pressure in the shower/tub and we really liked that the tub/shower and toilet were separate from the sink/vanity area. The beds were very comfortable with 5 pillows on each bed and a few extra in the closet along with extra blankets if needed. Gas fireplace, wi-fi, flat-screen TV with Direct TV and a boat-load of channels/movies! Large windows (with screens) in both bedrooms and living room that let in lots of sunshine/light and fresh air (if not using the temperature-controlled A/C). Outdoor courtyard with seating was enjoyable! No comment on the pool or hot tub as we didn't use either one. Front desk staff was helpful and friendly with check-in/check-out and also when we had a few questions about the Holland area. The cleaning staff was friendly and they are doing a great job! Gosh, I just can't say enough about how great this place was. All four of us loved it - we had a very positive experience at this Residence Inn in Holland, MI. Thanks for a wonderful stay!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank SandR2011
Andrea K, General Manager at Residence Inn Holland, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Thank YOU for such a wonderful review!
I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed all aspects of the hotel and your stay. I also appreciate you noting the friendliness of the housekeepers- they sometimes get left out. They work hard and do a great job. Breakfast and social hour are unique to Residence Inn. Breakfast items do vary and is served daily where the evening social hour is designed to be a snack and is served Monday- Wednesday, with a 2 drink maximum (not minimum)!
I do hope this means you will stay with us again when your travels bring you back to Holland.

Andrea Kaminsky

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Port Charlotte, Florida
Reviewed 9 July 2014

STARWOOD: GOLD
MARRIOTT: GOLD

I do enjoy the Residence Inn brand. Always the larger rooms (which are very important to me) but you do sacrifice things like Room service. For this stay, a brief over-night for my daughter and i as we explored the area of Holland and Saugatuck. Service, Service, Service, this is what is left in my mind here. The staff are phenominal, and truly went above and beyond at EVERY opportunity to make our short stay a memorable one. Major thanks to Andrea and Chelsea in particular.

HOTEL: The property is located really in nowhere and please note that the Marriott site thinks the property is in a neighborhood, but it is actually a few miles south. Apparently the hotel is aware of this and i feel for them honestly having to explain that to who knows how many people everyday. Marriott get this fixed!
Its located near the freeway with quick access for the beaches and to go back east on 96 for the record. Its one of the smaller styles Residence Inn's but still has a small area for the signature firepit. Breakfast (which i missed) and a light dinner are served in a 30 person sitting area adjacent to the front desk. The main reason of this stay for me was to visit the area and to enjoy the pool/hot-tub which we did for many hours. The water was the right temp and not over-chemicalized.

THE LOCATION: Again, the actual location LOL, is near to the freeway and on the southside of Holland. Maybe 10 mins from downtown Holland and 15 mins from Saugatuck.

THE ROOM(S): I was not offerred an upgrade here but was happy to take my studio suite as they are spacious as well at nearly 600 sq ft. This particular room as all do here, has a small kitchen with everything you would need for long stays. The bedroom is seperated from the living area and the only thing i think seperates it from the 1 bedroom suite is a small wall thats missing in the "studio". Might even be the same size. Very updated and comfortable room. I did find used kleenex under my bed, and would have never noticed it had i not always looked there for left items. The hotel is great and clean though so i wouldnt fault them for that. Although if they are reading this, please note. Also, strange feature which greatly bothered me, but per the staff is a direct TV issue? The TV is defaulted to Fox News. This means every time you turn the TV on you get right wing extremist propoganda, and thats the default. Again this was blamed on Direct TV but i will say this as loud as i can. THIS ALONE WOULD KEEP ME FROM COMING BACK and should be addressed permenantly as well as with me. I want a better answer than to blame direct TV which i think is rubbish.

THE STAFF: The staff was unbelievably friendly as stated above and i thank them truly for their kindness and warmth. This was a short getaway for myself and my daughter and they really helped us make the most of it.

Was my Elite recognized? I received an Elite room key LOL

I would recommend this property, especially if you dont want one of the older "Lake hotels" which seem to be all to common at all Michigan resort towns. Also works great for business in the area clearly.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Andrea K, General Manager at Residence Inn Holland, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Hello and thank you for such a detailed review!
We completely enjoyed having both you and your daughter here! She is adorable and so spunky! I am glad to hear that for the most part you enjoyed your stay and the area. I am sorry for the tissue you found as that is not acceptable, nor being recognized for your Gold elite status! Those are areas that we can certainly improve upon.
As for the TVs, that comes from our ownership group. I have to follow the direction I am given. I truly hope that wouldn't keep you from returning to the hotel.
Again, it was a joy to have you both here!

Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

This was our first experience with a Residence Inn and didn't have any issues with our 2 night stay. The property was very clean and well - maintained with some nice features like an outdoor courtyard with a grill and evening fire pit type thing.

The hot tub was the most powerful one I've ever experienced and was perfect after a day full of running, biking, and beaching. The pool was a good size and shaped so you could do some short laps in it. Since the weather was nice we didn't try the fitness center but the equipment looked up - to - date and well kept.

The breakfast included several hot offerings and was well attended. All of the staff we interacted with were friendly and helpful. I noticed the manager came out of her office and was helping keep up the breakfast when it was super busy on the 4th of July. That impressed me and I saw several instances folks helping others so that guests needs were met.

We would definitely stay here again.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Andrea K, General Manager at Residence Inn Holland, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed our Residence Inn! A nice soak in the hot tub does sound wonderful after the eventful times you had. On behalf of my staff and I, thank you for your compliments. We hope to see you again!

Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

For the price a few things to be desired. Not the easiest location to find. In an industrial area safe but just not conveniently located. Our suite 220 was overall nice but the bath tub had a mat at the bottom that was black because the staff is not cleaning it well enough after each guest. A little comet goes a long way. I do not feel paying over $210 a night after taxes justifies that. The mat should be replaced or cleaned properly. The breakfast if you can get to it due to hungry grumpy people is a little disappointing. The staff was very nice but if you need anything after hours better be prepared to go get it yourself. Again for the money they could staff someone to run things like an extra sheet to the room. Was ready for bed and realized we needed one had to get dressed and go get it ourselves. Over all a nice stay but some of the details need to be better thought.

Stayed July 2014
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay. All feedback, positive and negative is appreciated. We do our best to ensure guest's expectations are met. Most times, especially during a holiday weekend, there is more staff on hand than usual. I'm not certain of the exact details of your sheet request, but the staff should have been able to bring that to you. I understand your frustration for being ready to relax and then feeling as if you had to get this yourself. I do apologize for that. Breakfast is definitely a busy time. Our goal is to make sure that food is kept stocked, hot food hot and cold food cold, all while keeping tables clean and available for guest use.
I hope you had a nice holiday weekend overall.

Beaverton, OR
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Nice hotel. Clean, well maintained, good selection of TV channels compared to other Residence Inns. Breakfast was slightly below Residence Inn average. Seating area was a little small and serving area was cramped. Location is better situated for business travelers than tourists. It is quite safe, however a bit away from 8th Street and the water. Staff was a bit aloof compared to most Marriot properties, but the were not rude by any means. Thought the cost was on the high side for the area, but not dramatically so.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Andrea K, General Manager at Residence Inn Holland, responded to this review, 29 June 2014
Thank you for choosing the Residence Inn Holland for your recent stay.I am glad to know that the rooms and TV channels were to your liking. Our location is not for everyone, some prefer to be downtown. For those that don't; we are less than a 10 minute drive. I'd like to hear more about our staff as your experience is not the standard we want to display.

Howell, Michigan
Reviewed 21 June 2014

I love Residence Inn hotels and this hotel met my expectations. My son and I and our dog stayed one night in a 2 bedroom/2 bath suite on a Wednesday night. Nothing special was going on in town, yet the charge was $259 + taxes + $75 dog charge that is non-refundable. The suite was clean, with a queen bed in each bedroom. The living room had a fireplace. The sofa in the living room is hard, made of a material to withstand leaks and stains. Breakfast was good, evening reception is not good - they served salty, fatty hotdogs and veggie burgers. The hotel sits in the middle of nowhere. Nothing within walking distance - you drive in to the hotel and drive out for everything else.

I would stay at this hotel again if I ever visited Holland - which I plan to never visit this city again. It is very over-rated with a faux, commercialized "Dutch" shopping area. This visit was a Michigan "stay-cation" for us. I can't hold the city against the hotel so I do recommend this hotel for Holland visitors even though it is in an unfavorable location.

1 Thank adee74
Andrea K, General Manager at Residence Inn Holland, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Thank you for your review of the Residence Inn by Marriott, Holland. I am sorry to hear that you didn't care for Holland, but thankful you didn't hold that against us! The two bedroom suite is in high demand all summer, weekdays and weekends. We also offer more than most hotels in the area, not just in the spaciousness of our suites, but also the full hot breakfast and evening social hour. Sounds like you were here on our BBQ night, the servings do change.

I hope you will give a Residence Inn another try, even if it is not ours in Holland.

Rogers, Arkansas
Reviewed 9 June 2014

This Inn does NOT meet the expectations that we had for a Residence Inn. We depend on the kitchen in each room (one of the reasons for staying at a Residence Inn) being complete when we are traveling. The kitchen was lacking, no laundry bag...many details were not taken care of. When we checked out, my husband asked to speak to the manager and was told the manager was in "laundry". She was actually behind the wall of the receptionist and refused to take the time to talk to him. What kind of manager behaves in this way? Not a successful one!

Room Tip: Make sure the kitchen in the room is well equipped before you unpack and get settled. Better yet, do...