“Very Family Friendly and we hope to return”
Review of Lake Ranch Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Holland
Lake Ranch Resort
Ranked #13 of 18 Hotels in Holland
Saint John, Indiana
“Very Family Friendly and we hope to return”
Reviewed 9 September 2011

Stayed at the Lake Ranch Resort in June 2011 on our family trip. We did not make prior reservations at the hotel and just showed up to see what types of rooms they had. Bill took us around and showed us the rooms available and he was happy to do it. We were not sure if we wanted to stay more than one night so we picked a room for a night and we loved the room. It was just a little suite but it was so cute...we had a little one in a pack in play plus pulled out the couch for our 2 year old and still had enough room. We walked to the beach and couldn't get enough of the hot dog stand across the street so we knew we had to stay another night. We had to switch rooms in order to stay another night but Bill was more than happy to show us the rooms again. Everything was so clean and the pool is great for the kids. Overall just a great experience. Some of the rooms do need updating.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Jeanne L

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Kankakee, Illinois
Reviewed 12 August 2011

The place is clean, well maintained and a great location. The Holland Beach State park is a half a mile from the place. The staff is great. I cannot say enough about the manager, BIll, he was great. Very nice, helpfull and always trying to help. I will definitely be back. The only thing I wish they could improve on is the number of bike racks on their property and having them well lit. They have two bike racks and one is in the back of the building in the dark. They could probably double the amount of bike racks and make them well lit. No matter, my family and I will be back in the future.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank BengCh001
Roselle, IL
Reviewed 27 July 2011

Okay first off, this varied from room to room (we had three). The good news: great location, great grill/eating area, on a lake, good service, very nice pool. The bad news: really hit or miss on the rooms. One was lovely, one was questionable in terms of a wet dog smell and mine was downright horrific. The second my niece walked in she said (she is seven and is usually well mannered) - wow, what is that smell. Nothing dried in this room, EVER. I washed some thin clothes the first night and over the three nights/four days we were there they were still wet the last day. Everything I brought home in my suitcase was damp, including a plastic raincoat (?????). Honestly, I was very concerned that there was likely mold in the carpeting given the smell (and my eyes were itchy which went away once I left). I will send them feedback as well but .. buyer beware. Ask about the condition of the SPECIFIC room you are renting. I would never, ever, go back to that room under any circumstances, minus zombie invasion. (This was #12 if you are curious). The other two we had were 2 and 4, one was very nice (clearly recently refurbed), the other was kind of mediocre (my mom thought it smelled bad but it was nothing compared to my room IMHO).

Oh and since they ask about sleep quality, my sleeping issue was the total damp, not really anything else. If i had brought a noise machine I would have been fine with the door opening but nothing could combat trying to sleep while feeling wet.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank ReadsontheBeach
lakeranchresort, Manager at Lake Ranch Resort, responded to this review, 29 July 2011
The guest sent me an email with her concerns and I replied with the following.

I deeply apologize for your experience at Lake Ranch. We try to make everyone’s experience memorable with all good thoughts. We fell down. I am sad that you encountered the problems and mad at myself for not being proactive in fixing the problem before your arrival.

The week you were here was the heat wave of the summer. The evening before your arrival the AC unit in # 12 froze up and was dripping condensation water onto the carpet. The tube to drain water to the outside was clogged making it worse. Yesterday we took the air conditioning units apart and completely cleaned the entire inside elements. This solved the smell issue. We do this two times per season and I was a little late in getting to some units.

The carpet in # 12 was replaced this past spring because of age. There was no mold under the carpet at that time and it is unlikely now because the carpet sits on concrete. I am sure the issue is with the air conditioning units. The owner has informed me that the AC unit will be replaced soon.

I wish you would have said something when you were here so we could have taken care of the problem immediately. Again it was my fault for not catching and fixing the problem before your arrival. I am personally dedicated and will continue to do everything I can to provide a great guest experience at Lake Ranch.

Bill Grimes
lakeranchresort@gmail.com
Open for the Season May 6 thru October 23, 2011
Royal Oak, Michigan
Reviewed 7 July 2011

My family and i have been coming here since i was a baby. They came even before that. They were here when it was lake ranch vista! The place is downright amazing. The rooms are nice a cozy, the one we stay in has a kitchen, bedrooms, and a siting area.(along with a bathroom with a shower!) Big parking lot on the east side, with boat slips! You can walk out of your room and see the view of Lake Macatawa. The courtyard has a shuffleboard court, A pool, with windows!, a volleyball net, and a gazebow with 6-8 gas grills! My uncle used to catch salmon, then come in and grill in right there. Only a few hours after catching it! If you're one of those people who rather stay at a hotel because the have better TV, or free breakfast, i would strongly reccomend you look at lake ranch instead. With the new management under the Grimes, the place is so much better. When i was younger, my sisters, cousins, and friends from all over, like illinois and missouri, would all play ghost in the graveyard after dark and ill always remember that fun. If you have kids, your kids will love it! In one day i'd wake up, go fishing on the docks and catch small panfish, small perch, or catfish, then get breakfast at deBoer Bakery, get the cinnammon rolls, come back, go for a swim in the pool, get out and walk to flippsies general store. Let me focus on that for a second because no one else did. Flipsies General Store is a kid paradise. Besides all the candy, sweets, pops and juices they have, they also have useful items like marshemellos, bait, water toys, and a food counter where you can get a sub, a hot dog or pizza. And on the side of the building they have an ice cream place right there! After we'd go to the general store, we'd go to the beach, hangout there, walk back, shower off, and go to OBI ( Owatta Beach Inn ) and eat dinner. If you like fish then try the perch. Captians size. Then walk to the beach to watch the sunset, walk back stop at the general store, get an ice cream, then come back and play with the kids. Its summer! You have to have fun! And if you have stress, come to holland. You'll come in with stress and leave totally relaxed. Every year i look forward to going to lake ranch. The place is truely amazing.

Room Tip: Book in advance!
  • Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
4 Thank TrustMe69
Indianapolis, IN
Reviewed 26 June 2010

We spent three nights and we could not be happier with this place.
Location, location, location! You're right across the street from the Holland State Park. You can go hiking or climb the stairs for an awesome overview of the lakes and the dunes. You're also within walkin distance to the beach. At the same time you're right on lake Macatawa. We paid a little more for a room with the lake view and did not regret it at all! It was such a treat to be able to sit on the front porch and watch the boats go by!
Clean and service is great: our room was very clean, so was everything around the hotel (grills, benches, playground, pool). We had e erything in the room we needed. The queen size bed was great, the pullout couch was a bit uncomfortable but that was our only complaint. The service was great, the manager was there to greet us, stopped by later to check on us, accommodated us for a late check out.
We loved the place and would definitely stay there again! Get the room with the lake view. It is worth it!

• Stayed August 2010
2 Thank guesscharlie
Brighton, Michigan
Reviewed 30 May 2010

Went to Holland over Memorial Day weekend with kids (ages 7 and 9)and "grandma". Didn't want to stay in "big box" hotel, wanted to stay closer to the water and beaches. We weren't dissappointed. Lake Ranch Resort has 35 units some owned and some rented. It is a throwback to a simpler era. It is located on Ottawa Beach Road that leads to Lake Michigan beaches. It is right in the middle of all the beach action. Rooms w/ kitchenettes surround a peaceful, grassy courtyard with pool, shuffleboard, volleyball, and gazebo right on the edge of Lake Macatawa. Mt. Pigsah park entrance and Holland State Park entrace right across the road. Half mile walk (on bike/walking path) to the Lake Michigan Holland State Park beach. Stayed in a one bedroom, kitchentte room. Living area nice size w/ slider out to courtyard. Small kitchette area, small bedroom (but who needs it...we were there to be outside). Kids loved the pool. Well kept and clean. As I said, there are no other hotel/ motels like it so close to the beaches. We would definitely stay again! In response to service, the manager of the property is an on-site owner of a unit. We had no problem contacting the resot, checking in or out, or asking questions. In fact, the manager was very visible around the property during the entire time we were there. Favorite things we did (besides beach and pool): Ottawa Beach Inn (500 yards up road) for dinner. Simple, good dinner...popular with locals and tourist alike. Went downtown Holland in evening for ice cream at Kilwin's sat outside next to fireplace on heated benches, up Ottawa Beach Road (Turns into Douglas) toward Holland had breakfast at Dutch Brothers deBoer's Bakery and Restaurant...delicious breakfast! Best ever.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank mustangkimmy
Milwaukee
Reviewed 8 September 2007

My family and I have been staying at the Lake Ranch for more than 20 years. You couldn't ask for a better location or more beautiful surroundings. Perfect for adults and kids, situated on Macatawa Bay with plenty of space to relax or play volleyball, bags, etc. A pool, boat access and a beach nearby are plusses. The one downfall in the past two years has been the service. The staff have been less than accomodating-no one even around for check-in. But overall you can't beat the location, the weather, and the incredible access to Lake Michigan.

Stayed August 2007