“One side better then the other”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Holland
Oak Grove Resort Campground
Woodhaven, Michigan
“One side better then the other”
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Def can be close to a neighbor on the wrong side of park. First night had a great spot with plenty of room in a corner spot to the right when entering. Clean area small park but nice. Clean pool and spa Second night no staff? On Sunday ? Didn't understand Left because first sight was only available one night and couldn't fit in other Woody area safe feel

• Stayed July 2014
Rod V, General Manager at Oak Grove Resort Campground, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Thanks for staying with us!!

The office is closed on Sunday so we can have some time with our family. There is always a host camper on site to help in any way. I'm sorry that you couldn't fit on the available site. We run very full in July and sometimes we are out of sites for larger trailers. I hope you will come and stay with us again in the future.

Thanks, Rod

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Burton, Michigan
Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

We traveled here for our week long summer camping trip.
AWESOME location, helpful staff, very clean park, HOT hot tub, nicely maintained/clean pool.
This is just minutes away from beautiful beaches and there are bike paths everywhere! They rent bikes, including trailers and tandoms. The park is very well maintained. As we arrived we were offered hot dogs from their cook out event. There are pool parties every Sat, and a few other events.
The sites are slightly smaller than most campsites we have visited before, but not uncomfortable. We just had to park the car in front of the R.V. instead of next to it, not a big deal!
This is a gated park so you must punch in a choose to open the gate. Be sure you punch in AND out. Otherwise your cars suck outside the gate. We had to leave the car parked outside once because of it. (Our fault)
We are thinking of returning next year with other family members!!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank carrininja
Thanks for staying with us!!

We hope to see you again in 2015!!
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 1 August 2014

We have stayed in a lot of campgrounds (campers of 18 years). This campground is not what we would consider "typical". Our premium spot ended up being in what seemed like the backyard of a "seasonal" rv/trailer style vehicle. These trailers (visualize small home-like structures) were crammed in the entire camping area in which we were assigned. We could barely get our small travel trailer in to the compact spot. The office staff were not overly eager to interact; however, the camp hosts were lovely to talk to. The bathhouses were the positive perks of our stay. Love having private, one-person showers! The bathhouses and the location of the campground to Holland Beach were what made this review a "three" out of five.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thanks for staying with us!!

We hope to see you again in 2015!!

Bloomington, Indiana
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I stayed in a two-room cabin in July 2014. Though I felt the cost a bit high, I do know its high season in Michigan, and the resort was actually quite worth it!
The cabin was clean, but only furnished with microwave and fridge and the beds. Table and four chairs. No sheets, etc. AC and heat worked well. Nice blinds on the windows really blocked that morning sun. Only miss is NO storage for food! and no coffee pot - so don't forget! A few shelves would go a loooong way.
The campgrounds are the most beautiful landscaping I have seen. Nice HOT hot tub, great pool. Friendly staff. Lots of seasonal/perm campers in fantastic shape. This is a quiet campground and gated with access code, so I felt very safe letting the kids ride bikes on their own. Cute but small playground. Small petting zoo area.
The sites are a bit tiny... the premium area is much better/larger but I think reserved for the bigger campers. My friends struggled to get their campers in.
I can't forget to mention the Holland bike paths attached to the campground that can take you anywhere and there is a cute general store a half-mile that makes a good destination.
Family pool part on Saturday was fun and well done. Kids loved it. Candy hayride another fun tradition.
Would def. come back!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank BloomingtonCrowe
Thank You for the review!!

I'm so glad you had a great time.

We will definitely look into shelves in the cabins for next year. We love to hear feed back of how we can make the cabins better.

Come back and see us again soon.

Thanks, Rod
Toledo, Ohio
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Sites were very small. Even though we were told we had a Premium site and charged for it. We were placed in an area of seasonal campers that are very close to each other. Staff curt when asked about size of site. Their website very misleading. I would not recommend this campgrounds nor will I stay there again. Office closes early on week days.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Piper391
Hey Piper391,
Thanks for staying with us. I'm sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay.

I'm not sure what section you were in but if you were on the new sites that would be the reason for the premium site charge.

Our office hours are 9-5 Monday - Thursday and 9-7 Friday and Saturday, Closed Sunday but we always have a host camper on duty for any needs you might have.

I hope you will come back and stay.

Rod Vanden Berg
Elburn, Illinois
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Overall.... I would try again in Cabin 3, 4 or 5 if it was just my husband and I for a weekend. It is much cheaper than hotels up in Holland and it wasn't booked up when many of the hotels were. But this def. isn't my ideal camping experience so likely our normal camping will still take place elsewhere where we can tent camp, have our own fire bit and have more room to spread out a bit more.

Pro’s –
- Very nice general store in the office. It seemed like they had all of the items you may have forgotten at home and more! Lots of candy and snack selection for snacks!
- Very clean restrooms and showers. This is something that is very important to me so I was very pleased. Also they were never busy because a lot of guests at the campgrounds use their own bathrooms in their campers instead of the shower house.
- Some of the staff was very friendly and cheerful.
- The gated entrance and exit really makes this campground nice and quiet and the speed bumps keep people from speeding. We don’t have children…. But if we did… I am sure this would make me feel a lot better about letting them ride their bikes, etc
- The pool was very nice and clean and warm. It’s great that its heated so you can swim in case Lake Michigan is too cold. We enjoyed it but there were lots of children so just know that… it’s hard to not get splashed a bit. I am sure all of the kids really love the pool. There is adult swim from 9-10pm at night - we didn’t go.
- Lots of fun activities for children. Hayride on Sat evening. The staff even throws candy in for the children. There is also a DJ and Pool Party for the kids with lots of fun kids games like basketball, limbo, tube races, etc.
- It was very nice to see they had free WIFI. It wasn’t super fast but it was there so that was nice feature.
- This campground has 6 small cabins. This is great if you are wanting to stay in Holland but don’t want to pay for the high cost of hotel room in Holland. My husband and I stay in Holland several times per year and hotels can be $200/night so you can get a cabin for about ½ price. That is a great savings that you can spend eating out or buying a boogie board or something.
- Cabins have small fridge, microwave, small TV, charcoal grill and AIR CONDITIONING! This was a great find!
- Premium sites are bigger than the other ones.
- There are laundry facilities at this campground.
- Campground is in good location… probably 2 miles from the beach.
- Campground has lots of nice shade trees.

Con’s –
- They don't allow tents. I normally stay at campground very near by this one... and the reason being is that we tent camp. I don't understand why they won't allow tents at Oak Grove. We really don't have any option other than cabins at Oak Grove.
- This is a campground with quite a few rules. I do understand the reason for them but if you are someone who wants a wild fun party campground…. This is not the place for you. There are rules about quiet time, no clothes lines, guests have to pay to visit, etc. I think the rules they have are there to make it a safer and more family atmosphere. That it is….
- No Alcohol. That being said…. I did see some guests having some alcohol in a very responsible and safe and quiet way. I think the key is to just keep in on your site, pour into a cup or other container and don’t get carried away. A little wine with dinner or something… not going to be a problem.
- The campground is a bit tight. A lot of spots are very small compared to other campgrounds we have been to in the past. For example…. We stayed in Cabin 2 and the area around the fire ring was very small. Fine for the two of us but would have been tight if we wanted to have friends come over to our cabin or something like that. We walked around the entire campground and many spots are very tight. We saw several people have trouble parking campers. I think if you have big camper…. You need to be very good at parking it or be sure and pick a site that will be easier – perhaps a pull thru.
- The Premium sites do not have their own firepits. This is a big Con for me. I would never choose these spots because of that reason. There are two community fire pits that people can go to ….. but you will not be alone. I guess if you know other people you are camping with and you get their early to “take over” one of the rings it might be ok but I would have felt weird not knowing anyone and having to go over to the camp fire rings.
- Cabins 1 and 2 have wooden doors that do not seal. There was about 1 inch gap. This was disturbing because its very easy for bugs or mice to come in. Yes …. I know that I am camping but even in a tent…. You are sealed in. Cabins 3-6 seem to have a much better door that would seal so I would request one of those cabins.
- Bed in Cabin 2 had VERY firm mattress. My husband and I are not very picky about mattress firmness usually. We have been to many hotels and even in Europe where they like them firmer but this might have been the most firm we have encountered. I think it's manageable but not really enjoyable. I would maybe consider bringing mattress topper if you own one or extra comforter or two to put down first to add some cushion?
- I was not able to find any website to let me make my reservation online. I really like being able to pick my cabin or camp spot and get a confirmation emailed to me. I think this would make a great addition to their website and help reduce the phone calls they get too in order to free the front desk employees up so they can attend to the store, checking in and out, etc.
- The front office, store, etc are all closed on Sundays. So if you are checking in or checking out on Sundays…. They will not be there to greet you. If you need to buy firewood on Sunday you will have to go elsewhere. Make sure you get guest passes and swim wristbands and everything before Sunday so you are not without. I understand that this is a family business and they do deserve a day off. I wonder if it wouldn’t be worth it to hire someone to work the office on Sundays?

Other Info:
- As one of the prior reviews said….. there are people at this campground on a more permanent basis and they have added on decks, sun rooms, etc onto their campers. They are intermixed with the “guests”. This is really a good or bad thing…. Just wanting to let you know.
- Check Out for Cabins is 11am. Check Out for Other Spots is 1pm.

Room Tip: Avoid Cabins 1 and 2 b/c door doesn't seal well. Cabin 6 has very small amt of "yard"...