“Hold off until Best Western Plus changeover is complete”

Best Western Plus Holland Inn & Suites
Ranked #6 of 18 Hotels in Holland
Reviewed 17 February 2014

This is my second review of this hotel; we stayed almost exactly three years ago when it was a Best Western. The Holland Inn & Suites is currently unaffiliated with BW, but is in the process of becoming a Best Western Plus (as of 2/17/14). In the meantime things are in a bit of flux, and I can't fully recommend the hotel until the BW+ changes are finished.

When I called for special pricing on getting two rooms, I was charged $10 above internet rack rate for the double-queen room. I have no excuse for not questioning that; I figured the freebies being thrown in made up for it (chocolate/wine/bubble bath). The goodies were offered with our King suite, but we had to inquire about them 3 times before receiving them, no one at the front desk took note that we were waiting on them.

We were disappointed to find that the workout room/gym/fitness center is currently completely closed. The pool and hot tub are open (24 hours, too!). The rooms are being re-carpeted, refurnished, and redecorated. One of our two rooms had a strong smoke smell "covered up" by strong cleaners. Towels were scarce in the King room. The television's HBO didn't get good enough reception to be watchable. The light above the sink/mirror didn't work. The desk didn't have a chair.

The continental breakfast buffet was sparse -- cream cheese but no bagels, instant oatmeal but no hot water, no danishes of any kind, no bananas, 2 kinds of dry cereal, waffle maker, some small donuts, English muffins with grape jelly or peanut butter, bread, some Activa yogurts, clemetines and apples, apple juice/oj, coffee. We went out for breakfast, which was not our original plan.

The 1st floor rooms open to the parking lot, but the doorways are not at all shoveled out (but the doors open in), and if you manage the snowbank to go into the room you'd be tracking snow all over their new carpet (no rug by the door to the outside). The grounds were littered with cans and other trash, and a lot of ice.

BUT the beds were very, very comfortable! The lobby is rustic, clean, and well-maintained. The front desk clerks were available, helpful, and friendly. The check-out process was smooth. The wireless service was good. Once the Best Western Plus changeover is complete, this will probably be a very nice place to stay in Holland, MI once again.

Room Tip: Ask in advance about amenities you are interested in during this transition to make sure what you wa...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank TravelPurl

Reviewed 5 January 2014

Made travel plans way ahead of time, as always, but when we got to Holland Inn, not only was our room NOT available, but we were told a lie about why. And it took a long time to find out why. Ever hear about a Michigan law requiring rooms be given to firefighters (especially when fighting a nonexistent fire - google search). To be fair after waiting a while, a foreigner came out and said he got us another room and we just needed to follow him. Scary right? We moved on to Muskegon and found a lovely room at Fairfield Inn. Nuff' said!

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 December 2013 via mobile

We visited my hometown of Holland, MI and selected this "3-star" hotel. Holland prides itself on being a clean city. I'd been to this property years ago when it was a Best Western. At that time, it was decent. We checked in and entered our room and could not believe how run down and filthy it was. We went back to the front desk to try and get a refund. The manager insisted on upgrading us to the master suite. Exhausted from a long plane ride and a bit desperate, we took a look at it. It was just as bad. We cut our losses and left. As the old saying goes..."a picture is worth a thousand words".

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed 6 December 2013

We've stayed here a couple times and this property represented reasonable accommodations for the price. Unfortunately our last planned visit was scrubbed due to a messy lake effect snow storm. Thinking the cancellation policy allowed me to cancel by 3pm, I called ten minutes to three and requested to cancel. After a little hesitation the clerk confirmed the cancellation. Great, except I subsequently received a voicemail stating the room could not be cancelled because their policy was 3PM and 24 hours before day of arrival. They're right - I had misread their policy. Still, I was irritated that I was initially told they cancelled the room and to top it off, I was double-charged for my missed night - an error they quickly promised to resolve.

Lesson for me - read hotel cancellation policies more carefully. Apparently the industry is moving away from the 6pm day of arrival policy.

To reiterate - this hotel is a fine place to stay for those looking for budget accommodations in Holland.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Mike K
Reviewed 25 October 2013

The major bonus here was having access to the exercise room long after what your usual hotels would allow - same went for the pool and hot tub if you wanted. This is important for me because sometimes I get back to the hotel late and don't get to enjoy the amenities. I also got a great price on the room and the staff was very friendly. I'll definitely stay again in the future.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank IndigoOdysseyMan
Reviewed 7 October 2013

This hotel is disgusting for many reasons. First of all, when I turned on the shower, the water hit the shower curtain and the water ran yellow. I shudder to think what was on that shower curtain. The whole room smelled like mold, and the hallway smelled like smoke. Housekeeping banged on our door before ten am which I found tacky and rude. I will NEVER stay here again. Pay the extra money for one of the nicer hotels around.

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank eas7190
Reviewed 30 September 2013

They were kind enough to give me a better then Triple AAA rate. The rooms are much more bigger then most hotels I stay at. As a business traveler I need a nice desk and working internet and Thank God they sure have that as well unlike other hotels I go to. They have a pool and hot tub thats open 24/7 which is a bonus! Other hotels close it @ 9pm. I would recommend this spot and will be staying here in the near future. Oh, and a great cute front desk lady! :)

Room Tip: Best room is 204, it has a fireplace!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business