“Not worth the price”

Ranked #5 of 18 Hotels in Holland
Cleveland, United States
“Not worth the price”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

this place overpriced and understaffed. I was very unimpressed for the $179/night price. Def won't stay there again. upon check in there was a line out the door and only one staff member to handle it. they were hosting a large event and were sold out for two nights, they could have been better prepared. our room was unlocked when going in and there were kids playing in the halls. food from a previous guest was left in our room. the pool was overrun with teens playing loud music and splashing so use of the hot tub was unenjoyable. despite the sing that said children must be accompanied by adults there were tons running around and no staff stopping them. our friends had a clogged toilet in their room and a dirty tub.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends

1 Thank Eric C B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Greek first
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 5 July 2014

When we booked our reservations, the hotel was called Holland Inn. When we checked in a week later, it was now the Best Western Plus with no prior knowledge to us. I don't know if there was personnel change or not along with the hotel name change but I felt there were some things that were not well taken care of in the common areas. We had been traveling for over a week and this was the first place where there was not ample hot food when we went down for breakfast. The trash cans were also full so no place to put our breakfast trash. I am not sure if there was a "server" or not be as there was no one really evident. The other bothersome thing was when we came back in the evening, the common sitting area in the lobby was messy with morning newspapers and still full trash cans. Not a great first impression. Our room itself was fine. There was a good sized flat screen TV, nice bedding and decent sized room. I hope they get their act together for breakfast and common areas. It is also a way from downtown Holland.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a room away from the pool area because there can be a lot of kids and teenagers a...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Flat Rock, United States
Reviewed 1 July 2014

This was a business trip to speak to people about the importance of safety training in general industry. This hotel was very accomidating to my long hours and busy schedule. My room was super clean both days when I returned from my speaking engagement. The staff was very nice, helpful and friendly. I recently had surgery on my sholder so I could not lift anything. The staff helped me with my bags to my room and everything else I needed.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed 24 June 2014

My daughter and I stayed here for two nights this past weekend. It is clear they are in the process of remodeling and improving (fresh carpet up the back stairway). The place was clean, the pool was fun for the kids, and they had a few hammocks out on a deck (with privacy fencing) for lounging. The guy at the front desk was incredibly kind and willing to let us use the breakfast place for an impromptu pizza party. He let us use their forks when the pizza guy neglected to deliver them with our order. And loaned me a few office supplies when I needed some supplies.

I would stay here again and look forward to a return trip next year. I only have two pieces of advice - get towels that are for the pool and only for the pool (they ran out of towels for the rooms due to high demand of the families in the pool) and two, have your breakfast person take some customer service training. They were out of everything I wanted for breakfast and as I asked for yet another item she snapped at me to wait until she was done with the first item I asked for.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank A2OldWestSide
Mishawaka, IN, United States
Reviewed 23 June 2014

The hotel was very poorly maintained. Halls, stairs and pool area were very dirty--a simply problem easily fixed but completely neglected for at least two days. Closet door (bi-fold mirrored) was broken and unusable. This is inexcusable and demonstrated the carelessness of the management. The breakfast was poorly supplied. There was no syrup for the waffles on our first morning of a two night stay. We had to ask for pool towels--not a major issue, but guests should not have to ask for such services. Some things should be automatically supplied. The tub in our room was dangerous for older people. It had too little flat surface on the bottom to stand on. I very nearly fell. There was an ironing board, but no iron! How can the management overlook such a simple, easy to remedy problem?

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family

2 Thank Daniel B

Travellers are raving about these Holland hotels

DeWitt, Michigan
Reviewed 10 June 2014

We picked this hotel because it was centrally located to the things we wanted to do during our three day trip to Holland. When we entered the lobby of the hotel, there was a strong smell of chlorine (pool is adjacent to lobby area) but I did not notice it anywhere else. The front desk staff was courteous and helpful. However, Management needs to pay better attention to details (i.e. plastic ware is used at breakfast but I had to use a fork to eat my cereal because they ran out of the plastic spoons - we were told there weren’t any spoons for the last two days). Plastic spoons did appear after I finally said something.
Our second floor room had a microwave, small fridge, and two comfortable queen-size beds (the pillows were too thick for my sleeping preference - but that is why I travel with my own pillow). No extra pillows or blankets are in the room but a request to the front desk did provide them. Changes were being made to the guest rooms (our room received a new shower head during our stay). However, when maintenance left our room, they did not close our room door completely. It was left ajar until we returned at 10:30pm. We were a little upset to find our room was not locked. Housekeeping seems to do the minimum required work... we had to ask them for a roll of toilet paper and another towel (2 queens - three people - two towels). The hotel is okay and maybe when the transition is complete things will improve.

Room Tip: Too much luggage? Hands full? Push the Handicap auto door button.
Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Denice S
Huntington, West Virginia
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We enjoyed our stay for the "Tulip Festival." The staff was very friendly and helpful. A good location for tourists. We plan on returning again in the future. I recommend this festival and the Holland Inn for a quick getaway vacation.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple