“Average restaurant with affordable kids meals” 3 of 5 bubbles

Russ' Restaurant
Ranked #109 of 230 Restaurants in Holland
Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Indianapolis, Indiana, United States
“Average restaurant with affordable kids meals”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2013

We've been to Russ' several times over the years, but I don't get excited about it like I used to. We went twice during our stay in Holland because it was very close to our hotel and stayed open later for dinner than many other places. I called ahead and used the convenient pick up window once and the second time we ate in. I love that the kids meals are only $1.99 and include fries and a peach half. My kids liked them. The adult meals, though were, just okay. The cole slaw and onion rings did stand out for being pretty good. The peanut butter pie was awesome. I tried the creamed turkey sandwich and it was very bland and I would not recommend it. My husband got the Western Burger one night which sounded great but did not have much flavor. Overall, it's very hit and miss. The waitress was friendly.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Reidsville, North Carolina, United States
“How sad that the second generation can't maintain quality”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2013

I used to eat at Russ' regularly when I lived in West Michigan. The food was excellent as long as one stuck to sandwiches, fries and onion rings. Wife ordered chicken tenders which were made in Reidsville, NC (I recognize the product) and were mass produced pieces of processed chicken. I ordered the Big Dutchman burger and onion rings. This is what I usually ate years ago. The burger had no taste even though it was a hand-formed patty of what appeared to be decent quality ground beef. The onion rings were extremely greasy. I expect onion rings to be a greasy delight, but when they drip when one picks them up, that is too much.

The deserts from the Russ' commissary still appear to be good, but we did not eat any as we were full enough.

Service was efficient, but it appeared to me that our waitress was just waiting for us to leave so she could clock out.

All in all disappointing enough so I will not be back again.

• Visited July 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank James F
“Average tasting expensive food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2013 via mobile

This restaurant used to be the place to go in the West Michigan area for good, affordable food. Not so much anymore. The food is over-priced, bland, ordinary, and sloppily served. The restaurant is dirty, the decor is in need of an update, and the staff is less than energetic. Old Russ would not be proud.

Visited July 2013
Midland, Michigan
“What a great place to eat!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2013

We were very impressed with the food and the service. We tried the homemade reuben soup and it was wonderful.

Visited June 2013
Imlay City, Michigan
“Homemade”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2013

Nice family restaurant with homemade items and great prices. Soups are all homemade, nice portions on meals. Staff was very friendly and prompt.

Visited July 2013