“Decent value for the area”

Country Inn By Carlson, Holland
Ranked #8 of 18 Hotels in Holland
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I have noted that in many of the other reviews that this place is due for a renovation so I'll keep the fact that it really isn't up to the rest of the chain's standards out of the review. That being said, it offers a clean bed, quiet room for a decent price. The breakfast is a bit low on quality so I stuck to the frosted flakes. My only real issue is that it is IMPOSSIBLE to find the entrance. It is buried behind nell's dutch village and the outlet mall. Highly advise asking for specific instructions as to how to get to the hotel when you book. All that aside..the service was friendly and if I had to stay in Holland again I would strongly consider this property.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank travelingman979

Reviewed 10 April 2012

My family and I have stayed in several places in Holland and this by far was the best. We chose this place based on price and TA recommendations. It was so quiet and comfortable. My kids loved playing in the pool, which was heated and a great break from a long day on the road. The beds were the most comfortable we slept in during our week long trip. The down comforters were very plush and the heater/AC was nice and quiet. My children also enjoyed the cookies that greeted them when we arrived. The Breakfast was good. We found enough to fill our stomachs. The staff was very friendly. No, there were no granite counter tops or top of the line showers, but that did not mean as much to me as a quiet, comfortable nights rest. I also enjoyed the smoke free environment, which was completely smoke free. Sometimes we have stayed in a non-smoking hotel and it totally smells like smoke. The hotel is very close to other places to eat. We came in late and had to get a late dinner and were able to hop back in the car and head to IHOP up the street. The one draw back is it can kind of be difficult to find. I read this on another comment and knew what to expect. So, I just followed my GPS, rather then what the streets looked like. It looks like it might be off of another road, but it is actually back in and behind a strip mall area that is going under some construction. All in all....it was a GREAT stay. HIGHLY RECOMMEND, especially if you have little kids.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank TheFamilyK248
CountryInnHolland, General Manager at Country Inn By Carlson, Holland, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2012

We are so excited that you had the opportunity to stay with us and that your little kids enjoyed their time here at the Country Inn by Carlson Holland. We agree with you that we are "A Gem of a Place in Holland!" We look forward to hosting you and your family again soon.

Reviewed 24 March 2012

As a business traveler and corporate event planner, I have had the pleasure of staying at some of the worlds finest hotels. The staff at The Country Inn in Holland, MI, especially, general manager, Robert Alicea, is one of the most professional, accommodating and genuine hosts I have ever encountered. Although the hotel is in need of some updating, the service is beyond compare and I understand it will soon be undergoing renovations. From the warm welcome upon returning after a long day of swimming, to a warm cookie waiting for you every time you enter the lobby, the Country Inn is a hidden secret off one of the busy highways of Holland. Thank you for your hospitality. We have been here three times this year and plan to make the Country Inn of Holland our first choice when traveling to the area during our next swim season.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
CountryInnHolland, General Manager at Country Inn By Carlson, Holland, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2012

Thank you so much for staying with us this past weekend. We had such a pleasure hosting you and all the swimmer's and their families. I am glad that my staff and I made you feel welcomed and comfortable. We are really looking forward to having you stay with us again.

Country Inn by Carlson Holland

Reviewed 9 March 2012

I stayed here for 3 days for a Conference. I chose this hotel based on other experiences with Country Inns. I called directly to the hotel and asked several questions based on some of the other reviews. They answered all my questions. I was also informed that they have started renvations but they would not affect me during this stay. The hotel IS older, and the location is sad for them. They are located at the back end of a once vital Outlet Mall which now sits empty. However, this location was excellent for my travel needs. Hotel was clean and comfortable. Show signs of age, but for $60/ night I wasn't complaining. Desk attendant was very friendly and helpfull all during my stay. Room was very clean and smelled very fresh. I actually had windows that opened which I took advantage of on a rare 60 degree March evening. Poorly insulated windows though, as cold air blew through them at night. TV channels are limited and their was no fridge, but I managed with ice. They did offer me a reantal fridge at $10/day, which I did not take. Beds were comfortable, but comforter a bt heavy for me. Luckily they had an extra blanket and pillow in a zippered storage bag in the closet, so I used the blanket. Bathroom was fine, shower nice. I did notice by last day that there was a small leak somewhere under the sink. I told the desk clerk and she assured me it would be checked that very day. Hotel was basically a ghost town, so it was very quiet. But this is the off sesaon for Holland. Only real problem for me was the Breakfast. I am Gluten Intollerant and it was 99% wheat based. Ceral, donuts, muffins, etc. They did have fresh fruit and yogurt and instant oatmeal. But I would tell you to eat out if you are looking for a big breakfast. I just brought my own. They dining are is very nice however, just wish they had a bit more to offer. Overall, this was just fine for me. And the price couldn't be beat. I would stay there again. Just be aware that it is NOT a brand new, bells and whistles kind of place, and in March of 2012 they start renovations. Call ahead to see the progress before you go.

Room Tip: Rooms on the West side face the exit off the highway and can be a bit noisy if the window is open...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Mary Z
CountryInnHolland, General Manager at Country Inn By Carlson, Holland, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2012

Thank You, Mary Z. We are so glad your stay with us was very quiet and comfortable and that my staff was very friendly and that we were able to answer all your questions prior to your visit. Yes, we are really excited about our upcoming renovations. This is going to be extremely nice when we are able to redo our entire breakfast area so that we can begin providing the incredible Be Our Guest Breakfast program which will have a lot more variety for all of our guests.

We look forward to having you visit us again. When you do come back, please let me know so that I can personally introduce myself to you.

Country Inn by Carlson Holland

Reviewed 30 January 2012

The staff was friendly, and we enjoyed the free cookies. The hotel is a little dated, but was clean and wll kept.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
CountryInnHolland, General Manager at Country Inn By Carlson, Holland, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2012

Thank You for your stay with us at the Country Inn by Carlson Holland. Being the oldest Country Inn we know the hotel is "dated" but are excited that we will begin renovations within the next couple of months.

We hope to have you back soon!

Reviewed 1 January 2012

We have stayed here at least 3 times over the last 5 years. We stay over Christmas when we are visiting family in the area. The lobby is warm and welcoming, and the staff is always super friendly. The price is right and the rooms are very adequate. The beds are above average - we've had worse but they really aren't bad. The breakfast is minimal, but it just holds us over until Christmas brunch. The pool is tiny, but gives the kids something else to do on our little trip. What makes this place? The staff is so warm and welcoming, the cookies and the lending library.

Room Tip: We have had connecting rooms in the past, but did not this trip.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank arbie88

Thank You so much for your comments on January 1, 2012. I was so glad to hear about my staff and what you enjoyed about your stay with us. With our upcoming renovations we know the next time you come you will be more impressed.

We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 29 November 2011

We stayed here when we went to the Groove Walk in Holland. It was an ok hotel. Pool was nice for Friday night. The breakfast in the morning was not very good. We had breakfast on Saturday Morning but decided to skip it on Sunday Morning. It was in a weird location, behind an old or currently being revamped mall. There was not one car in the mall but there is the hotel all the way in the rear. The front desk was nice and cab service brought us to downtown holland cheaply (about 10 bucks each way, that includes tip.) I would probably try to stay closer to Holland in the future or if they ever get the mall a going it might be better.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your comments. We understand the "weird location" as the entire Town Center is starting to revitalize with new business' signing leases. We hope to see the area grow again.

Our hotel will also begin renovating in a couple of months, including our breakfast area. This will allow us to implement the "Be Our Guest Breakfast' that Country Inns & Suites are known for. So, we hope that you will visit us again and enjoy the beauty of Holland!