“Worst staff” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #10 of 18 Hotels in Holland
mchenry
“Worst staff”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2014 via mobile

Will never stay here again. Never complained before about a hotel stay until now! Staff made us feel like we were in a library setting. Couldn't talk to loud, laugh to loud, walk to loud. Really? We are not loud people. Breakfast was toaster items only and pool was the size of a hot tub with way to much chlorine. No elevator and side walks were never shovled. Rooms were ok. Nothing special. Hair still on bathroom floor after cleaning, not good. I would sleep in my car before I would stay here next time.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank armymom62491
Lisa C, General Manager at Country Inn By Carlson, Holland, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
I want to sincerely apologize for your recent experience at the Country Inn. I want to assure you that I am working to resolve these issues so they will not happen to another guest in the future. I do hope that you will give us a second chance because this is not usual for the Country Inn. Our hot breakfast will be starting within the next couple of weeks.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Piqua, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

This was my families second stay and the staff and accommodations were perfect.
Very comfortable beds, super friendly staff and a clean warm pool made our stay perfect.
The breakfast was not hot, but for the price, who cares.
We will be back again.

Thank you to the staff for a great couple of nights again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Lisa C, General Manager at Country Inn By Carlson, Holland, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Thank you so much for your recent review of the Country Inn. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to your next visit!
Holland, Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2013

I had an unexpected stay of one night. Came in soaking wet, with no reservation. Person who checked me in gave me the AARP discount, since I was using my AARP Visa card. $94.50 plus tax. I went to my room, got on the internet, and found out the regular price was $94.00, without a discount! So I feel like I was overcharged, and taken advantage of. Tons of high school kids all around, so I could not even use the TINY pool. Will never stay here again. Would rather be homeless! Just called the front desk, and there is still is no hot breakfast. Claims they are waiting for approval. Room was dusty (have allergies), and bath tub doesn't look very clean either. Hope who ever checked me in feels "good" about the fake discount, and kicked me down when I didn't think I could feel any worse. Talked to new desk clerk; she didn't care either.

Room Tip: Read reviews, and go to a newer motel with a better free breakfast, and actual good sized pool. No h...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Judy590
CarlsonRezidor, Carlson at Country Inn By Carlson, Holland, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
We apologize for the disappointing service you received from the staff. We want to make sure our guests are comfortable and receive the best service. We understand your frustration with noise, and the pool not being available and also the discount your received. To discuss your concern further, please contact Corporate Customer Care.

Travellers are raving about these Holland hotels

Batavia, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013

We stayed for the weekend on a family getaway. The staff was helpful and polite - gave great suggestions of restaurants. The price was the reason we stayed there. The room was clean and appeared to have been recently remodeled. The beds and the breakfast, however, left much to be desired. Both my husband and I slept terribly on the very uncomfortable beds, waking in more pain than when we went to bed. It helped slightly to sleep in separate beds the second night. The walls of the hotel are paper thin. We could hear everything the people next door were saying (and they weren't talking loudly), the buttons being pressed on the microwave, coughing, etc. It felt like they were in our room with us. We could also hear almost everything from outside the hotel as well, ie. people locking their cars, conversations, trains, highway noise, etc. Our room was on the back side of the hotel.

As mentioned in other reviews, there is no hot breakfast aside from toaster waffles and french toast to pop in the toaster. Otherwise, cereal, juice, toast/bagels, yogurt and fruit are your options. I was informed by front desk staff (after asking) that they are waiting on the stove to come in so hot breakfast can be provided in the future. I don't think we would stay at this particular hotel again.

Room Tip: According to the front desk staff, people tend to complain less about being able to hear their neigh...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Lisa C, General Manager at Country Inn By Carlson, Holland, responded to this review, 22 October 2013
Thank you for your recent review of the Country Inn. As you mentioned we are in the process of finishing our breakfast area to add a full hot breakfast for our guests. I hope that when this is completed you will come back to see us again!
Grand Blanc MI
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013

I was using some gold points to see Holland and had requested a room on the top floor. The room and bathroom was on the small size, clean, but met our needs. Compared to other CI&S this location had smaller rooms overall. There are no suites here. Even the pool area is small and the picture on their website is stretched to seem larger. There is a BBQ grill outside the pool area, and when I was just walking around checking everything out I seen it. Someone was using it during our visit in October. Breakfast was as described by others and was not typical CI&S and was more deluxe continental. The only problem we had was the neighbors were loud and their television could be heard through the wall. We had to call after midnight asking the front desk to have them turn it down. When I checked out and was asked about my stay I mentioned that again and was given a 15% off coupon to visit this CI&S location within the next few months. I did not care for this type of compensation for a less than industry standard stay. When someone has a bad experience somewhere, they do not want to go running back so soon to repeat it. Who ever thought of that one needs to reconsider the customer satisfaction processes. Also, if a Hotel is going to post their mission statement, then they should live by it or remove it. Now with that said, I had used my gold points for this visit. If CI&S was concerned about my satisfaction, they should have refunded some of those points.

Room Tip: There was people smoking by the back door with it kept open. If you have asthma, ask for a room away...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Lisa C, General Manager at Country Inn By Carlson, Holland, responded to this review, 21 October 2013
Thank you for your recent review of the Country Inn. I am truly sorry for the experience that you had and assure you that I am working to resolve this issue for any guest in the future. I do hope that you will give us another chance in the future to show you what we really have to offer as a hotel. We are currently working to add a full hot breakfast and soon we will have that to offer to all our guests.
Lowell, Indiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013 via mobile

I stayed here with a friend for two days, it was okay, the rooms felt a little dated (especially the bathroom) and needed more attention paid to the details cleanly wise. The staff was very friendly and helpful. But for the price being much less than those in surrounding area it was worthwhile- (I mean I'm in Michigan we're not spending the majority of our time in the room!) The breakfast was a little disappointing and bland, and a little awkward due to its small room and the fact it's part of the entrance/ check in area- but it was free. Overall it was okay but there was definitely room for improvement!

Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for your recent review of the Country Inn. We appreciate your business and hope that you will come see us again in the future!
Lansing, Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

We booked two nights in this hotel for my wife's birthday, we wanted three days of sightseeing on Michigan's west coast. We checked out after one night of horrible service. This hotel did not offer a hot breakfast...a signature service of the chain. I heard several excuses...none of which was acceptable. I heard many other guest complaining that there was only cold cereal and toaster waffles. Unacceptable! And this wasn't mentioned at booking or at check-in. Deceptive in my opinion.
In addition, there in no hot tub at this hotel, even though I was told there was one at booking. The back of the building, where most people park has a dirty entrance and a wooden facade that is unpainted and rotting.
Finally, at 1-2 am, we were awakened by several drunks laughing loudly as they came from the lobby. They then proceeded to knock on several doors before they went to their rooms. When I addressed this with the front desk on Sunday, they said I should have called the front desk. Since the front desk, was within hearing distance,I figured they would hear it and handle it. Apparently not!
After all of this, I checked out and went to the Country Inn and Suites in Grand Rapids on Deposit Drive. Cost us extra money but it's a well run property.
I feel I wasted good money at the Holland Country Inn and turned my wife's birthday into a nightmare.
The staff here only wants to make excuses and they don't care about wasting my money.

• Stayed October 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank JDLansing
Lisa C, General Manager at Country Inn By Carlson, Holland, responded to this review, 15 October 2013
Thank you for your recent review of the Country Inn. I apologize that you did not have a good experience at our hotel because we strive for excellence. We are currently renovating the breakfast area so that we may add a full hot breakfast to be with the chain. We try our best to control the guests within the hotel but it is not always possible. I do hope that you will give us a second chance in the future to let us show you what we really have to offer.