“Nice, Clean, Polite Staff” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Doubletree Hotel Holland
Ranked #6 of 18 Hotels in Holland
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Nice, Clean, Polite Staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2012

Hubby and I stayed for one night on a Sunday, we were greeted with a very polite and helpful staff, we asked about downtown Holland, where the nice lady provided a map and directions on how to navigate around town, then she gave us a key to our room. This is no four points Sheraton, but definitely was clean and all the basics were provided, we used the pool and hot tub, which both were good. We had payed in advanced for the hotel through a third party, but in the morning we had a bill under our door... for Less than we payed, so we went to the front desk, and she confirmed that they had already received payment, and that the bill was a mistake...lol, I guess next time I will just call the hotel for rates, since it was about 30 dollars cheaper than what we paid. Overall, this hotel was very clean, the bed was comfortable enough, and we would probably book again.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Lisa W, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Holland, responded to this review, 5 September 2012
Thank you for the nice review, we do hope you stay with us again. Please do check before booking we run great specials and packages all year long. We have the fall gas package running now you get a 20 gas card and breakfast for everyone in the room the next morning!!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2012

We won this hotel on priceline, and were very disappointed upon arrival. We had requested a king size bed weeks in advance for our anniversary. Upon check in we were told they did not have any available for "priceline guest". The hotel was virtaully empty, so we called to see if in fact they were all booked, and sure enough there were some available. So basically the front desk staff was just unwilling to accomodate "priceline guest". They hotel itself was old, in a poor location, and the bathroom was so small you can hardly open the door without hitting the toilet. Old hotel, unfriendly staff!~

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kel43
Lisa W, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Holland, responded to this review, 29 August 2012
Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay at our hotel. We are very sorry you were unhappy with the bathroom in your room, We appreciate your feedback, and will keep your comments in mind while we work to improve our guest experience. Again, we apologize for the mix up at check in with the room type I am sorry we were not able to accomodate your request. We hope you’ll stay with us again soon and tell us what you think about our improvements.
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2012

Stayed just 1 night while exploring the nearby beaches and dunes. Everything was clean and comfortable. Booked through Priceline without any problems at check-in or check-out. Didn't get a chance to try out pool or hot tub, so I can't comment on those. Hotel was very quiet- no noise from the road or from adjacent rooms, although the hotel didn't seem very full so we might not have had any neighbors!

Breakfast wasn't included, so we went to a nearby Meijer for bagels and cream cheese (there was a refrigerator and a microwave in the room). No great restaurants nearby, and don't expect to be able to walk to anything either.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thanks for the great review, Maybe next time you can stay longer to get a chance to enjoy the hotel pool and hot tub. Hope to see you again.
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2012

Our experience with this hotel was absolutely horrible. We booked using our United Miles and when we arrived at our check-in I verified this with the young lady that checked us in, she said everything was set and she just needed a credit card on file for any additional charges, which we provided. When we arrived in our room it was obvious that the previous guest was a smoker even though this was a non smoking room. The bathroom was VERY small and not cleaned very well, I opted to wear my sandals in the tub. The TV did not work, so we called down to the front desk, who said that they would send up a new remote, which did not work. We planned on using the hot tub before going to dinner, but unfortunately it was overrun with all of the children from the wedding parties that were guests there as well so we decided aganist it. We visited the bar after dinner and stayed there for a few hours, we had to head over to the front desk everytime we wanted another drink because they didn't have a bartender. The next morning we woke to a bill being shoved under our door and the "EXPRESS CHECK-OUT" showed that they had billed the room to my credit card even though it had been paid for with our miles. When we went to the front desk and spoke with Kasey, she was completely rude and said that they had been going over my account and didn't see any notes on there for that. I asked to speak with the manager Lisa, who was not in, so she placed a phone call to her. They laughed about something, she didn't even really explain the situation and when she hung up she said there was nothing she could do for me. I asked her to have Lisa call me when she came in and it is now 4 days later and still no phone call. I have called twice and each time I am told that Lisa is not available. I will never be staying at a DoubleTree again.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank mkleiner34
Lisa W, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Holland, responded to this review, 25 August 2012
Melissa, I am very sorry about the problems with the reservation , I did follow up with Travelweb they confirmed you canceled the reservation with them, and you remade the reservation directly through the hotel, unfortunately the hotel is unable to book a room using airline points as payment. I will follow up with housekeeping about the issues with the room, although I was the one who came to the room at 2 am to fix the TV for you. and did have the maintanence dept also check it out to ensure it was working properly the next day. Thanks for choosing the Doubletree and if I can be any assistance in helping you get the payment issue resolved with the third party booking agent please let me know. Thanks
Windsor, ON
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2012

We stayed at the Doubletree in Holland recently and enjoyed our stay. We checked into the hotel in the evening, and were greeted with a warm cookie at our arrival. A nice touch. The hotel and the property were explained to us, including amenities such as pool/hot tub, parking , and elevators. Front desk staff were friendly and helpful.

Our room itself was huge. We stayed in a King Jr. Suite, on the 1st floor. Room 103, I believe? It was at the very end of the hallway, and was quiet. We enjoyed having quick access from our room out the side door to the parking lot. The room is showing its age in some places. Tired carpet and bathroom, but everything was clean and functional. The bathroom itself is very small, which is weird, because the room itself is so big. A bigger bathroom and slightly smaller main room would be beneficial, but not a big deal I guess.

Sleep quality was excellent, the thermostat kept the room at a constant temperature, little to no outside noise was heard. Comfy beds. Comfy pillows. Great in this department.

We used the pool and hot tub, both of which were good. The towels in the pool area are just embarrassing. They are seriously the size of the dish towels we have in our kitchen. I get the fact you don't want people taking these, but c'mon.....I seriously used 4 to dry myself off.

We didn't eat or drink at the hotel, but we noticed prices being very reasonable for a hotel.

We booked last minute through expedia, and paid an arm and a leg (almost 500 US for 2 nights), I'm assuming booking in advance would have been cheaper, but we wanted a good hotel with access to the highway, which this provides. If you can find this hotel for a good price, take it!!

I would definitely stay here if I were to travel to this area in the future. Clean, quiet, comfy beds. The other 'negative' items are all minor in nature, so nothing that can't be overlooked. Hope my review helps.

Room Tip: Room at very end of hallway was quiet for us, with access to the parking lot.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thanks for such a nice review of the hotel, we appreciate the kind words. The size of the bathroom is a challenge for us, we do have a plan in the works with the doors and tubs to increase the user space. We hope to see you again in the future .
Monroe, Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2012 via mobile

Actually our visit was the last weekend in July 2011 for the Venetian festival in Saugatuck. Started out ok. Rooms were clean but by far the smallest I had ever stayed in. Unfortunately an item came up missing out of our room. It wasn't misplaced. It was taken. I notified management asap and was introduced to the manager of housekeeping. She assured me the issue would be addressed immediately. It wasn't. After several unsatisfactory conversations with the manager, Matthew I had to contact corporate Hilton to try to find a resolution. It was only when I advised them I was pressing charges that Hilton decided to take action. My family had never had a theft from a hotel room ever and felt very violated. Hilton's insensitivity and lack of action has ruined them for us forever. Our yearly stay in Holland will never be with them again.

• Stayed September 2011
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Lisa W, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Holland, responded to this review, 22 August 2012
We sincerely apologize for your unfortunate experience during your stay at our hotel. Thank you for letting us know about the situation. The safety and security of our guests is always a top priority for the hotel. This is definitely not a normal occurrence at our hotel. I would be glad to discuss the situation with you further,but since this incident happened 14 months ago I would have to do some investigating in to the matter to have accurate information.
Grosse Pointe, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2012

Check-in was fine, front desk was helpful and accommodating. Lobby looks nice. This hotel is appealing to children because of the indoor pool area. We stayed facing the pool on the 4th floor and I found it a little claustrophobic as the balcony opened to a very hot and steamy room instead of the outdoors. If I stayed in the future, I would probably opt out of the pool view for that reason.
Room was fine, rug and curtains were aging - not a big deal. Bed was comfy. There was plenty of room in the living space for two adults and two small kids. Bathroom was really tight and tub needed to be refinished.
My main concern, and it was big because we specifically select hotels that have hot tubs, was that the hot tub was noticeably odiferous. After swimming the first night we reported the stinky smell to the front desk, but it was not rectified the next day. Instead, a scum had developed on the tiles and the hot tub was low on water with no relief in the (urine like) odor. It caused my children to refuse to go in which was disappointing. Overall the stay was acceptable, but the problem with the hot tub was a shame. Pool was fun. Workout room was fine. Coffee was good.

Room Tip: If you like to open the windows for fresh air, don't choose pool side.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Lisa W, Manager at Doubletree Hotel Holland, responded to this review, 6 August 2012
We’re very sorry we didn’t provide you with the high quality of amenities and service you deserved during your recent stay at our hotel. We apologize for the issues you encounter with our whirlpool and we want you to know that we’ve reported the problem to our maintenance team. We’ll be sure to address the issues as soon as possible and hope you’ll consider giving us a second chance if you return to the area. We would love another opportunity to provide a great stay for you and your family.