“Looked promising, but chefs let us down.”
Review of Butch's Dry Dock

Butch's Dry Dock
Reserve with OpenTable
Butch's Dry Dock is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 236 Restaurants in Holland
Price range: US$10 - US$30
Cuisines: American, French
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: For more than 25 years, Butch TerHaar has strived to create a place where people can celebrate the marriage of food and drink. Today, Butch's is one of fewer than 800 restaurants worldwide (and one of 10 in Michigan) to hold Wine Spectator's Best of Award of Excellence. Building on our exceptional wine and beer offerings, our menu is expressly designed to enhance the experience of enjoying food and drink together.
Hennepin, Illinois
“Looked promising, but chefs let us down.”
Reviewed 7 August 2013

What appeared to be a promising evening of good food turned out to be anything but that. Our waitress was very knowledgeable and helpful concerning the menu. We started with pan-fried calamari and pomme frites (French fries) as appetizers. OTher choices included a fancy corn dog (?). The sauce on on the calamari was very spicy as were the dipping sauces for the fries, which was okay for my wife, but not me. Then, for salads, if you like French, Thousand or Ranch dressing, forget it. It's basalmic vinegar and some other combinations I have never heard of before. Then, it went downhill. The wife ordered lamb chops (medium) and I ordered the filet (medium). We BOTH got rare meat at best. The lamb was still raw inside while my steak was blood red, not pink.
Sadly, our bill came to nearly $80, even after they comped the calamari because her chops were raw.

Wife and I agreed that the best thing we were served were the glorified french fries. Could have gone to McDOnalds for much less and better fries.

• Visited August 2013
ButchTerHaar, Owner at Butch's Dry Dock, responded to this review, 30 September 2013
Dear Austinill,

Although some time has passed, I would like to thank you for your feedback – I sincerely apologize for the disappointment you experienced on account of the underwhelming food preparations. This is certainly not the type of memorable dining experience that we aim to deliver, nor what our guests have to come expect. I would like you to know that since your last visit, we have hired a new chef who has made some significant changes to the menu and who is now sourcing even more products from local, quality farms. In addition, most of the items you mentioned have since been modified/replaced.

I understand that you are likely not planning a return visit to Butch’s, but I hope that you might reconsider given the changes we have recently made. In addition, I welcome the opportunity to speak with you further about what we could do to make your next visit much more enjoyable (butch@butchs.net).

Once again, thank you for your feedback. I do hope we have the opportunity to serve you once again and create a truly memorable experience for you and your guests.

Holland, Michigan
“Better than ever”
Reviewed 6 August 2013

We recently had a gourmet dinner at Butches. The front area, with white tablecloths, offers superb entrees, including excellent grass fed beef filet. Scallops out of this world,superb wine offerings.
A little noisy when full, not romantic.

• Visited August 2013
Dear Dyziejo,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your latest dining experience at Butch's. We look forward to your next visit!

Plainwell
“Not what it used to be”
Reviewed 3 August 2013

Had lunch there last week. We had out of town guests in and had raved about the resturant. Couldn't have been more disappointed. The service was terrible, the food marginal. Don't know what happened, but I won't return

• Visited July 2013
ButchTerHaar, Owner at Butch's Dry Dock, responded to this review, 2 October 2013
Dear Countrycork_13,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your disappointing lunch experience at Butch's. I understand that you are not planning to return, but I hope that you might reconsider given the changes we have recently made (new chef, menu changes, etc.). In addition, I welcome the opportunity to speak with you further about what we could do to make your next visit more enjoyable (butch@butchs.net).

Once again, thank you for bringing your disappointment to my attention -- I hope we have the opportunity to serve you again.

Atlanta, Georgia
“Amazing food!”
Reviewed 29 July 2013

This is the best restaurant I have eaten at in Holland! The appetizers, main course and desserts are wonderful! I thoroughly enjoyed eating here!

Visited July 2013
ButchTerHaar, Owner at Butch's Dry Dock, responded to this review, 3 October 2013
Dear Jeremy H,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your latest dining experience at Butch's. We look forward to your next visit!

Chicago
“Spicy fish tacos in an elegant setting”
Reviewed 11 July 2013

The restaurant is upscale in looks and service but has a wide variety of choices on their menu, including smaller portions, so you don't have to spend a lot to enjoy this place. I had a glass of wine I have never tried before and it was awesome! Not your normal blah choices for the by-the-glass wines. We had fish tacos that had a zing to them. Appetizer was crab cakes, which I highly recommend.

• Visited July 2013
Dear activenretired,

Thank you for writing a review about your latest dining experience at Butch's. We hope to see you again soon!

Warm regards,