“Now I get the mixed reviews”
Review of Butch's Dry Dock

Butch's Dry Dock
Reserve with OpenTable
Butch's Dry Dock is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 237 Restaurants in Holland
Price range: US$10 - US$30
Cuisines: American, French
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: For more than 25 years, Butch TerHaar has strived to create a place where people can celebrate the marriage of food and drink. Today, Butch's is one of fewer than 800 restaurants worldwide (and one of 10 in Michigan) to hold Wine Spectator's Best of Award of Excellence. Building on our exceptional wine and beer offerings, our menu is expressly designed to enhance the experience of enjoying food and drink together.
Reviewed 24 October 2013

When reading the reviews for Butch's, I couldn't figure out why they varied so much between solid 5's and 2's. When we finally had a date night without the kids, we decided to give Butch's a try. Our table was wobbly, the host brought a shim. If you know you have a problem, fix it before you seat customers. The table next to us had a knowledgable, attentive waitress who made good recommendations and they appeared to have a great meal. We had a checked-out waiter who didn't recommend anything. We thought we'd take the tapas approach to the evening. The lobster quesadilla was extremely disappointing. It was greasy and strangely prepared in a fried corn torilla, the crab cakes were mushy and flavorless - except for the exceptionally spicy chips on top (would have really appreciated a warning), and the goat cheese was good, but its the sort of thing you can get almost anywhere. It was served with 6 tiny baguette slices and apple slices. We asked for more bread, twice. We mentioned that the lobster wasn't up to par, the chef apologized and offered something else. We tried the salmon. Also disappointing. At that point, we gave up on the restaurant and went elsewhere to finish the evening. I can't say I'd ever go back. There are many better places to eat in the area.

1  Thank L A
ButchTerHaar, Owner at Butch's Dry Dock, responded to this reviewResponded 27 October 2013

Dear LA,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent experience at my restaurant. I am very sorry to hear that you were left disappointed on your special night out.

Regarding your table having a wobble, unfortunately, with some of the historic buildings in downtown Holland, we find that the preserved wood floors are sometimes uneven in spots. Our servers do level all of the tables prior to seating our guests each night, but as tables are moved, they sometimes require minor re-leveling. I am happy to know that our host promptly fixed this, but understand why this may have been bothersome to you at first.

Regarding your feedback on the menu items, I thought it may be relevant to mention that we hired a seasoned chef just over a month ago; he has experience in some of the best kitchens in the country and I am incredibly excited and happy with where he is taking our menu. What may be most relevant is mentioning that in the past week, he has replaced both the lobster quesadilla dish and redeveloped the crab cakes for some of the reasons you mentioned. I would love the opportunity to have you try the new dishes – we have received fantastic feedback.

Once again, thank you for your review. Should you decide to reconsider your decision to not return, please let me know (butch@butchs.net). I would love to personally see to it that your next visit is exceptional.

There are newer reviews for Butch's Dry Dock

Reviewed 24 October 2013

Frankly, I was a little surprised by some reviews of this place. We ate here in a recent Tuesday night and the place was packed…for good reason.
I enjoyed the special that night, chicken empanadas and had a pumpkin bisque soup as an appetizer. The bisque was delicious and the marshmallow that melted in it as I started my soup really added a different, delicious rich taste. I highly recommend it.
Another plus for this place; they offer small and large plates so if, like me, you aren’t that hugry, you can still eat but not be stuffed. Since I wasn’t super hungry I opted for the small plate, chicken empanadas. They were prepared perfectly…the crust was flaky and dry, not soggy, while the chicken with the seasonings (was told there was some chocolate in there somewhere) really starred and I should say I’m not a huge chicken fan but loved these.
The service was excellent. Our waitress was friendly, professional and knew the menu backwards and forwards since I asked her for her recommendations.
Another thing I liked about this place is the two dining rooms. The front is a white linen restaurant, but if you want something a little less formal you have the same menu in the back.
Yes, it can get noisy but I think that adds to the atmosphere since the people here obviously were loving their food! If you’re looking for a creative menu with great food, by all means try this place. I’m glad we did!

Dear Salleng56,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent dinner with us. The chicken empanadas have been such a hit with our guests that our chef has decided to add them to the menu!

We hope to welcome you and your guests again in the near future. We are constantly evolving the menu, so I’m confident there will be another exciting addition the next time we see you.

Reviewed 22 October 2013

A concise, but diverse menu. Our table enjoyed the leg of lamb, vegan version of the Risotto, free range chicken, spinach salad - large, pumpkin soup, house salad, and the toffee. Everything was delicious. The lamb was so tender a knife was not necessary. They were very happy to prepare the Risotto dish in a vegan version and it was also wonderful. If you go, please order the toffee. It is covered with chocolate and nuts and they even break it at the table for you. Very nice. The service was as lovely as the meal. I look forward to my next visit

Dear Gayle Y,

Thank you for your thoughtful review. I am so happy to hear that you and your guests enjoyed your recent dining experience. We, too, look forward to your next visit.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 21 October 2013

beer and wine shop by day, fine dining by night.
limited wine selection on menu, so when we got there we picked out our own champagne from the cooler and our own red wine from the shelves.
food and atmosphere was great. menu is fairly limited, but with a wide variety...you can literally choose anything from burgers to filet!!!
there was always an employee around for anything you may need.
the bread/rolls that they give you are TO DIE FOR!!!

Dear 10richierich,

Thank you for your review! We look forward to your return!

Reviewed 1 October 2013

We were in Holland for a wedding and had a night to ourselves so we decided to try Butch's in downtown Holland. (What a fabulous vibrant downtown Holland has, by the way!) Butch's had been recommended by our B&B Innkeepers and we viewed their menu on line before making our reservations.

When viewing the menu, we noticed that in addition to traditional salads and dinners, they offered a "small plates" option. We are huge fans of "tapas" or small plate dining and were hooked immediately with their selection of eclectic small plate options.

Upon arrival, we found the restaurant attractive and well decorated - simple and elegant but not stuffy at all - and loved our front window table. Our server was excellent - hitting just the right mix of friendly, attentive, and not hovering service. We ended up trying a variety of small plates during the course of the evening, including the Lobster Quesadilla, Goat Cheese and Apple, Pork Belly (this may have been our all time favorite!), Trio of Dips, and Coho Salmon. All were quite tasty. I had absoluely no complaints or concerns.

If you haven't tried Butch's and are in Holland, it is definitely one I would recommend you try~

ButchTerHaar, Owner at Butch's Dry Dock, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2013

Dear Christine H,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent dining experience with us! We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in Holland.