“Great Experiences” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Butch's Dry Dock

Butch's Dry Dock
Reserve with OpenTable
Butch's Dry Dock is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 230 Restaurants in Holland
Price range: US$10 - US$30
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Bar Scene, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: For more than 25 years, Butch TerHaar has strived to create a place where people can celebrate the marriage of food and drink. Today, Butch's is one of fewer than 800 restaurants worldwide (and one of 10 in Michigan) to hold Wine Spectator's Best of Award of Excellence. Building on our exceptional wine and beer offerings, our menu is expressly designed to enhance the experience of enjoying food and drink together.
Holland, Michigan
“Great Experiences”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

I have had many great meals at Butch's over the years. Recent experiences have been outstanding. The new chef and new menu are consistently great. I appreciate the level of service from all of the staff (veterans who will recognize you, and the "rookies" who are well trained). A particular delight is the ability to "shop" the wine offerings and have them poured for dinner. The wine list is great... but there's a lot more on the shelves! We have a tough time going anywhere else because each time we go, it's dependably great.

• Visited March 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ButchTerHaar, Owner at Butch's Dry Dock, responded to this review, 13 March 2014
Dear Roger G,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We certainly appreciate your loyal patronage and are happy to hear you are enjoying the latest culinary offerings!

We look forward to your next visit!

Warm regards,

Michigan
“Devil is in the details”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2014

We were pleasantly surprised on our first visit a couple months ago so we thought we would try Butch's again. The consistency didn't continue this time, however. We were seated at a wobbly table by the street windows by the hostess and when our server failed to show up for 5 minutes, we moved ourselves to an adjacent table, which was wobbly, too. So we fashioned a paper shim and fixed the dadgum thing. My wife ordered a "wedge salad." Instead of a hunk of supercrisp iceberg lettuce cloaked in tangy blue-cheese dressing and topped with everything from bacon to avocado, she was served a small amount of limpy bibb lettuce overdressed in a pool of thick white dressing from a bottle. No wedge. We sent it back. The red wine I had (Dante merlot) was warm and tasted "bottle stale" like it had been opened a month ago and had sat at room temperature for that long. The entrees were a mixed bag ... my wife's chicken was good, according to her, while my flatiron steak was a very small portion hidden beneath a massive pile of French fries. The amount of steak was appetizer size and not worth the $25. It was advertised as coming with caramelized onion and Béarnaise Sauce. The amount of carmelized onion was miniscule and the Béarnaise sauce tasted from a bottle. And last but not least the dinner rolls were tiny ... silver dollar size and stale and I question whether they came with real butter or margarine.

Visited December 2013
ButchTerHaar, Owner at Butch's Dry Dock, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
Dear MichiganSammie,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent experience (although I would love to hear what you enjoyed during your first visit, too!) ☺ However, I understand from reading your other reviews that you typically only like to provide feedback when you feel serious improvements can be made (e.g., 11 reviews on TripAdvisor with with no review over 3 stars: 3 “average” reviews, 4 “poor” reviews, and 4 “terrible” reviews, those including many of the most highly regarded establishments in our area: Marie Catrib’s, Electric Cheetah, Everyday People Café..). That said, I appreciate your feedback and am sorry to hear that this visit was not consistent with your first, more enjoyable, dining experience at Butch’s.

I would like to offer some consolation, however; we have recently renamed our wedge salad a “Bibb Wedge,” as to indicate that we are not using the low quality, mass-produced iceberg lettuce that one might expect. Instead, we are sourcing a local hydroponic Bibb lettuce during the winter, one of the very few locally-produced lettuces one can source during the winter months in the Midwest. Additionally, and in that same vain of providing the highest quality ingredients, I can assure you that none of our dressings are from a bottle. In fact, our dressings are made fresh daily and the blue cheese dressing you are specifically referring to is made with one of the highest quality bleu cheeses money can buy.

I apologize that you found the flatiron to be small; it is the standard 8 oz portion one might find in most fine dining establishments in the area with a homemade (again, not at all from a bottle) béarnaise sauce, served with fries (cut daily) from Visser Farm potatoes.

I’m surprised to hear you describe the limitless free dinner rolls as tiny; these, also provided fresh daily by our baker on 8th street in Holland, has provided these rolls for over a year and I’ve never received this feedback. Regardless, I apologize that you did not find them (and our tempered butter) enjoyable.

Our #1 goal at Butch’s is to provide an unprecedented experience that makes you want to return again and again and it’s apparent that your last visit didn’t provide that experience for you. I would be happy to discuss how we can make this right; if you would be so kind as to send me an email at butch@butchs.net, I would love to discuss how we might regain your trust.

Warm wishes to you and yours,

Holland, Michigan, United States
“Best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2013

My all time favorite restaurant and I live in Holland. My only suggestion would be to bring back the fish tacos - love them!

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ButchTerHaar, Owner at Butch's Dry Dock, responded to this review, 13 January 2014
Dear 3luannet,

Thank you so much for the wonderful review! The fish tacos were/are great! Have you tried the new lobster roll?

Cheers,

Singapore, Singapore
“Nice stop for lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2013

Nice pit stop for lunch, the butch burger was good...abit salty for me. The soup selection was tasty but abit salty. Good wait staff, yes should fix the wobbly tables else it was a nice lunch.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
ButchTerHaar, Owner at Butch's Dry Dock, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Dear DanChoo,

Thank you for your valuable feedback – I will be sure to share your comments with our staff.

Happy New Year,

Fort Wayne, Indiana
“Wonderful snow flurry retreat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

The first flurries of the season are always magical, that is of course if you enjoy the season. We arrived at Butch's just minutes before the steady drizzle turned to flurries and were greeter by a smiling hostess who immediately seated us in the informal section of the restaurant need a window providing the perfect backdrop to see the flurries.

Our waitress arrived within a few short minutes of our being seated. She was upbeat and eager to explain the soup if the day - pumpkin - the various wines available, hot beverages (raved about the hit chocolate), and guest favorites. After a while she returned to take our order: Pumpkin soup with a Spinach Salad and a Roast Beef on Rye with a side salad.

The soup was superb!!! Sorry I only ordered the regular size. The salad had a lite creamy dressing which totally made each piece of spinach to die for. My husband the picky bread eater, actually finished the entire meal - bread and all.

The meals, the setting, the staff, all make it worth your while to have a fabulous meal.

Now for the surprise. The restaurant is located in the Historic section of Holland. They have utilized every inch of space to provide guest with a wonderful experience. Only, the men's restroom is downstairs and becomes an adventure in itself to locate - just a hunt for first time visitors.

Enjoy.

Visited November 2013
Dear Patricia W,

Thank you for taking the time to contribute such a thoughtful review! I am so happy to hear that you were able to weather the snow in our pub with our locally-sourced spinach salad and a warm bowl of soup! We look forward to welcoming you again very soon.

Warm Regards + Happy New Year,