“expected better from the great reviews”

Bambu Asian Cuisine
Ranked #11 of 41 Restaurants in Houghton
Price range: US$0 - US$30
Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Ojai, California
“expected better from the great reviews”
Reviewed 8 February 2014 via mobile

Maybe I expected more because of the glowing reviews...but it was well-prepared food, but nothing exciting. We were visiting for winter carnival at michigan tech and live in Southern California, so we have a lot to choose from. In Houghton, choices are limited. I found the way the served tea odd -- large individual teapots with what tasted like American Tea. I'm used to a table ordering several entrees and sharing. This place discourages that by definitely serving individual plates. The food was good even though the egg rolls were a mess of lettuce and cabbage. The wine list was a joke. Apothic Red was the most expensive wine at $6.95 a glass!!! I decided not to order any wine. The walnut shrimp was excellent as well as the calamari. If I lived in Houghton and had no choice, I probably would go to this restaurant quite a bit.

Visited February 2014

Houghton, Michigan
“Pleasant Restaurant”
Reviewed 20 January 2014

I guess I was a little surprised. My preconceived notion on what an asian restaurant would be in a smaller town like this was officially shattered after eating at Bambu. It was a really pleasant atmosphere, and quality food. My only complaint was not being able to get two half orders so I could try more of their food, but I would be insane to ding a place for that. I'd say try it out, I think you will enjoy it. Last note, we had a big party and they did a pretty fair job of accommodating us.

• Visited January 2014
Escanaba, Michigan
“outstanding”
Reviewed 29 October 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

Bambu has excellent cuisine, terrific Asian food at reasonable prices. The restaurant is very clean and the staff is very friendly.

Visited October 2013
Peoria, Illinois
“Nice upscale Asian restaurat”
Reviewed 12 October 2013

My wife is very picky about her Asian food and insisted we try Bambu. This place reminds me of PF Changs. The reasons are it's very clean, upscale finishes, quiet, and thoughtfully prepared food. We arrived around 1pm and were seated immediately in a quiet booth. I had the sweet and sour pork and my wife had the pad thai. We both enjoyed our meals and our waitress checked on us often and kept us in drink. This would be a perfect "couples night" restaurant that doesn't break the bank. I would recommend, would go back.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Montyd72
Gladstone
“Excellent food and service!”
Reviewed 27 August 2013

I read the other reviews before going here for dinner with my husband and whoever posted that you should definitely order the lettuce wraps for an appetizer was spot on!!! They were delish!!! We had such excellent service and the food was fantastic! If we would have left hungry, it would have been our own faults because their portion sizes were quite sizeable. I would highly recommend this place to dine.

• Visited July 2013