“Great Stay”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Houghton
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Houghton
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We stayed four nights to visit family in the area. It is situated in a good area. Not in downtown part, but close to a Wal-Mart and several fast food restaurants. There is a restaurant and arcade/bowling/golf place within walking distance next door. My 2 year old really enjoyed the kiddie pool, but didn't like the fountain part. Luckily the fountain can be turned off (there is a timer switch for it on a wall by the exit door). Breakfast was good. If we come back to Houghton, we'll stay here again.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank disneyfan01
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Houghton, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Dear disneyfan01,

Thanks for choosing our hotel as your base during your recent visit with your family. I'm glad our service and accommodations met your needs and expectations. We welcome the opportunity to serve you here again.

Guest Relations

Reviewed 2 July 2014

Friendly staff accommodated a last minute reservation. Nice room with comfortable king bed! Could have used more pillows but I was too lazy to get them from desk which I am sure would not have been a problem. Breakfast was ok, nothing special. Price was reasonable for room. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Houghton, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Dear CJR6219,

Thanks for posting your nice review about our hotel. You are right that we do have extra pillows available, and if you let us know in advance, they can be in your room upon your arrival. Everyone here works hard to deliver a higher quality guest experience than our competitors, and I'm glad you found us to be a good value. We look forward to serving you here again.

Guest Relations

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We spent the night in Houghton because we went to a show at the Calumet Theater, about 10 miles away. The staff seemed thoroughly disinterested but the room was big and the bed and pillows were awesome. We could hear the people in the next room through the fan in the bathroom, which was a bit disconcerting.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jicar
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Houghton, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Dear Jicar,

Thank you for choosing our hotel and for posting your candid comments about your stay with us. . I am very disappointed to hear of the unprofessional treatment and poor guest service you received. Please accept my sincere apology. I will use your review in discussions and training to improve our operation. I'm also sorry that you were disturbed by other guests and understand your concern. I hope you will give us a chance to regain your trust on a future visit.

Reviewed 30 March 2014

Visited Houghton with my wife and daughter for a college visit to Michigan Tech. Staff was very friendly, and quickly accommodated my request for a second room. Will definitely stay here again if my travels take me to Houghton.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Ken_Carrano
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Houghton, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2014

Dear Ken_Carrano,

Thanks for posting comments about your recent stay with us. We are pleased to know that you found everything you needed, and were happy with your room and the service you received during your stay. It is always gratifying to receive guest feedback especially when it is as positive as yours. We look forward to and welcome the opportunity to serve you again.

Reviewed 6 March 2014

I had to travel to Houghton for a funeral service. The staff was very friendly and helpful. I asked about their bereavement policy and was immediately taken care of. I ended up checking out a day early and they assisted me in setting up a reservation in another city.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Houghton, responded to this reviewResponded 9 March 2014

Dear ptrull,

Please accept our sincere condolences for your recent loss. I hope your fond memories will bring you comfort. We appreciate you taking time to write and post your review and hope you will let us serve you here again, during happier circumstances.

Reviewed 1 March 2014

Stayed with my wife and two girls for Winter Carnival in a family suite. This was our first year staying at CI&S in Houghton, but we've already reserved for next year!

The good:
Very friendly staff! From the initial reservation to check out all of our interactions were pleasant and productive. Cookies at the front desk were a favorite (especially for our 4-year old!), and the lending library is a nice touch. Breakfast area had good variety with a rotating hot selection and was well stocked. Pool area has both a hot tub and a kiddie area with a splash fountain, and the fitness center was well equipped.

Location near the Mine Shaft is very convenient (so convenient that I forgot I parked at the restaurant and just walked back to the hotel!).

Our family suite was pretty spacious, even if having a congested baby meant we didn't quite get to use it as intended. It was nice having such a large space to sprawl out in in-between trips to campus and around the Keweenaw. It also had a good amount of closet space, and two large TV's. Bathroom was large, and shower had good pressure and temperature. Climate controls worked great -- set and forget.

The not-quite perfect:
The lobby area gets downright frigid. Yes, it's Houghton in the winter, but the design of the entryway doesn't help much. A bigger airlock, or better heating around the doorway would go a long way. They keep the fireplace going 24-7 which helps somewhat. Speaking of chilled, both pools were also a tad on the cold side...possibly related?

We heard quite a bit of wind noise in the bedroom of our suite. I don't think it was particularly gusty outside, but boy could we hear it. Oddly enough, though, other than the wind, we didn't hear much other hotel noise in our room.

The galley area of the suite had a large space for a fridge, in which a fairly small fridge was placed. Would have been nice if they had maximized that space.

Overall we were very pleased with our choice, and look forward to next Winter Carnival!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Houghton, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

Dear kaadaq,

Thanks for taking the time to write and post your detailed review of our hotel. I'm glad you and your family generally had a good time here, and at Winter Carnival, and are thrilled that you already reserved for next year. You bring up many valid points about our lobby, pools, the wind noise and poor use of space in your room. We value your business and your feedback, which we will use to make improvements here. I hope you will like the changes and let us know how we are doing the next time you are here. We look forward to welcoming you back and serving you here again.

Reviewed 11 February 2014

Not a lot of choices for hotels in Houghton. I usually look for a Hampton inn when heading north, but there aren't any in Houghton. Country Inn & Suites had some pretty good reviews so I thought I'd give it a try. February in Houghton is brutally cold, so the toasty fireplace being the first thing you see when approaching the lobby is a nice welcome. Service at the front desk was EXTREMELY friendly. The room was spacious, clean, and the bed was very comfortable. Don't expect much in terms of amenities or furnishings, this is a small step up from chain motels. The hotel is quiet, situated near some stores and restaurants about a mile from downtown. If you need a clean room and comfortable bed in Houghton, this will do just fine.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Houghton, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2014

Dear GOBLUE80,

Thanks for giving us a try and for sharing your comments. We endeavor to give all our guests excellent service and a clean and comfortable stay. I'm glad you were happy with your decision to stay with us and appreciate your recommendation. I hope we can serve you here again.

Guest Relations Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Houghton
Quality Inn & Suites
Baraga Lakeside Inn
Baraga Lakeside Inn
#1 of 4 in Baraga
Holiday Inn Express Houghton - Keweenaw

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Houghton? Share your experiences!