“A very good & affordable place to stay”
Review of Julie's Motor Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Houghton
Julie's Motor Inn
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Houghton
Reviewed 5 August 2014

One of the main attractions of the Motor Inn was the independent management. Julie is a graduate of a local high school, and connected to the region. The rooms themselves are adequate. The location is a short drive to Michigan Tech & downtown Houghton. We didn't need air conditioning or heating, so I don't know about the quality of these.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Eric S
InnkeeperJulie, Owner at Julie's Motor Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2014

Thanks for taking the time to review my property. I like to remind my guests that since our staff is a batch of locals, we all know just about everything about everything in our small community. Therefore you also get a small tourism office if you have questions about the area. Thank you for staying with us and please tell all your friends about Julie's Motor Inn.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

I read the reviews before we booked a stay here, and I'm sorry to say that I have to rate it a bit lower than others have. I'm ranking the room conditions poor, but the staff as excellent, for an "average" rating. Everyone was extremely friendly and helpful, but this motel is obviously very old and still needs a lot of work. The mattresses were not comfortable, probably due to age, and the room was not up to par. Julie the owner was very nice and the staff were also very helpful and friendly; I think there may be hope in the future! Having said all this, the rooms here run $100-120 less per night than most places around Houghton (at least for the time of year that we were there). We only stayed here one night as we were passing through on our way to the Keweenaw, and it seemed they were doing a pretty good business, so if you are extremely budget conscious, it may be worth a try. Aside for their continued remodeling, I would also suggest they offer wi-fi, as the cellular coverage is a bit spotty.

Room Tip: Our room looked recently painted, but I would still ask for one of the most currently remodeled room...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

I appreciate your review of my inn. You are correct that the property is old and that being said, old places need lots of TLC. That's what we do year round. I am happy to report that we only have a couple of the smaller rooms left to refurbish (we do a few each slow season) and then we get to start the process all over again! I am sorry that you didn't know that we do have complimentary, pass-free wifi available to our guests. All rooms do have signage explaining this. I also try to remember to let guests know that during check-in. Sorry your stay wasn't all that you anticipated but do consider us in the future....as you said, "there may be hope..."

Reviewed 28 July 2014

Lovely hostess Julie greeted me when I arrived and made me feel so welcome. I opted to stay at only mom-and-pop motels on this trip and Julie's is better than most. The bed was comfortable, the room was spotless, and the neighbors were quiet. The only downside was the a/c, which was quite noisy. A change of air filter would probably have fixed the problem. Otherwise, exactly what I needed after a long day of traveling. Thanks again, Julie.

Room Tip: The "CLEANLINESS" was EXCELLENT, not terrible, as marked above. Unfortunately, the website...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank WolfCreekGal

Thank you for your kind words and your decision to stay only at "mom & pops" during your travels. You know, we are a dying breed in this country but actually fill a market need. Your patronage is truly appreciated. I'm sorry that you had issues with a noisy A/C. I'm going to assume that you stayed in a room with one bed which also means the A/C units are somewhat "dated". We limp along with them only because they aren't really on the top of the capital improvement priority list. Please don't hesitate to mention an annoyance in the future and we'll be happy to address it immediately. Please consider staying with us again during future travels.

Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

The sign out front has a wonderful quote about not knowing how much a smile can do. Well smiles and friendliness is all we received from the staff.

For breakfast they served coffee and all natural granola bars, fruit, and some packaged doughnuts...enough for something to tie you over until a full meal.

You can see there used to be a pool that has been filed in with dirt and a beautiful flower garden now grows. There are also some picnic tables and a nice fire pit with wood.

The room had new carpet and had been freshly painted.

That being said, this is a small business and you can tell that she tries to replace what she can. The mattresses were worn and the A/C unit did not keep the room cold or even cool.

I would definitely come back...the value of the price paid, I feel, is just right.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Heather H

Thank you Heather for letting us take care of your family during your visit to the Houghton area. I remember you well and am glad you were satisfied. I was sorry to hear about your trouble with the A/C unit - as we were unaware it was not providing proper comfort. Please know that has been taken care of. I wish you would have mentioned it during your stay so we could have addressed it, but thank you for bringing it to our attention. Please come see us again!

Reviewed 9 July 2014

When I travel I want a place that is clean, has a decent bed and functioning bathroom. Julie's met these requirements, was conveniently located and reasonably priced. This was one of the best of the motor inn type places we stayed during a nine day tour of the U.P.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you Beth for taking the time to review our property. When I travel, I try to evaluate what the most important aspects are in a small hotel and then try to provide that to my guests. Cleanliness, quiet and comfort are tops. I'm happy we succeeded for you. Please consider staying with us again if you find yourself in the U.P.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

We were staying at a "Mom and Pop" hotels on our trip. This is about the only one left near Houghton. The room was very large with furnishings more modern than other places we had stayed on our trip. Very clean and quiet. Close to town but away from the noise. Beds very comfortable. Price was very reasonable. Will recommend to friends needing a place to stay in the area and will stay again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for the nice review Peter! I'm glad you were braving the Mom & Pop world and stayed at Julie's during your travels. We recently upgraded our furniture from a popular chain in town that was undergoing renovation. We like to say we have "Holiday Inn rooms at half the price!" Thanks for noticing. Please tell everyone and come see us again....we're not going anywhere and look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 16 March 2014

Once again, Julie has provided a clean, safe, comfortable room. We have stayed here on several occasions and won't stay anywhere else in Houghton. Mark and Julie are very friendly and helpful, and have made some nice upgrades since I was last here. It's always a pleasure to know I have a clean room waiting for me at Julie's, we always stay in the same room and my dog heads straight for room 124 as soon as he's out of the car. Forget about the big name motels down town, Julie's is a much better value with the personal touch.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo

Howdy friend and Thank You for taking the time to review our property! We were so happy to have you show up on our door stop again for your most recent stay. You and your pooch are always welcome at the inn. I'm glad you noticed the furniture upgrades that we made - all rooms now have small refrigerators, new lamps, easy chairs and the rooms with 2 beds have bigger queens versus the previous double beds. We strive to keep the rates reasonable while providing exceptional service to our guests. Thanks again for staying with us - it is very much appreciated.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Houghton
Quality Inn & Suites
#1 of 2 in Calumet
Baraga Lakeside Inn
Baraga Lakeside Inn
#1 of 4 in Baraga

Been to Julie's Motor Inn? Share your experiences!