“Disappointment with Breakfast”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Defiance, Ohio
“Disappointment with Breakfast”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

The room was very nice. It was not absolutely sound proof, so you may still hear some of the other guests who happen to be inconsiderate and make a lot of noise, but the bed is very comfortable, the shower had adequate pressure, and I even had a refrigerator! The internet, one of the most important amenities in my life, worked with more than adequate speed and without any noticeable problems.

My sole problem was with breakfast. I would not have had a problem with this either, but they label their food sections: cereal, eggs, and bread. I don't normally eat eggs, but upon seeing the sign, I felt a strong desire for them that morning. I approached that section, and there were no eggs nor even any signs that there had ever been any there. If you are not going to have something, I would suggest that you not put up a sign advertising it; you save getting people's hopes up and thus avoid disappointing them! :(

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Carla Ann M, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Houghton - Keweenaw, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Thank you for your feedback. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay but were disappointed with our breakfast. We serve some form of eggs daily for breakfast and I am saddened by your review that we didn't have any available for your pleasure. This issue has been addressed and will not occur in the future. I invite you to give us another try.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Freeland, Michigan, United States
Reviewed 27 March 2014 via mobile

Very nice accommodations. The hotel is 16 years old but was redone inside and out 2 years ago making everything updated and modern. We had a room with two queens which were very comfortable, supportive but not too hard. As Goldie Locks would say "just right". Nice large sink vanity seperate from bath and commode. Always like that layout.

Internet was a bit slow but was free and available.

Reception very pleasant and accommodating.

We had room 209. Being just a couple doors down from elevator and the open reception area made it a bit noisy. As my son is attending MTU, we will be in Houghton repeatedly, we will definitely be asking for a different room. I think maybe replacing the doors during the remodel would have cut down in noise.

Stayed March 2014
We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for your feedback. It is wonderful to hear from our valued guests and appreciate the opportunity of serving you again.
Reviewed 22 March 2014 via mobile

Second time we've been here this time for MTU preview day, staff friendless, place clean and decent breakfast. Room comfortable and clean, great place to stay if visiting MTU, close to campus and everything else

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your great review. It is wonderful to hear from our repeat guests and we appreciate your continued patronage. We look forward to seeing you again.
Michigan
Reviewed 16 February 2014

We were on a business trip and had to stay an extra day due to Old Man Winter arriving! The staff bent over backwards to make sure we could stay an extra day (since they were booked for various events in the area that weekend) - The hot breakfast was great - something for everyone - the staff was amazing! The hotel was very clean and will be on our list of "stay here" next time in the UP!! It isn't often you find a hotel that makes you feel "at home" - and this one fit the bill. Many restaurants deliver - making it even more special during the blizzard!

Room Tip: This hotel will do their best to meet your requests, even on short notice.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
GMHoughton, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Houghton - Keweenaw, responded to this review, 18 February 2014
Thank you for the lovely review! We appreciate you taking time to share your experience with everyone. I am very glad that you found your way out of the storm and into our hotel. We hope to see you the next time you are in Houghton!.

Sincerely
Kim
Reviewed 29 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed while we were visiting Michigan tech seeing if my daughter likes the area and school. Modern hotel with all the amenities, clean and comfortable. Did not get a chance to eat breakfast but Lobby area clean and modern with computers to check the internet. Room was clean and comfortable.

Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Chefdaddy2472
GMHoughton, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Houghton - Keweenaw, responded to this review, 31 October 2013
We are so glad you found the hotel to be clean, updated and comfortable. We are lucky enought to have many families of Michigan Tech and Finlandia as our guests. We strive to make all of our guests feel like they are home when they visit the Keweenaw. I hope your daughter chooses MTU as it is a great school. One word of advice ..... if she does decide on Tech.... book your move in / orientation reservations as soon as she lets you know! Thank you for taking the time to share your experiance.
Glenwood, Illinois
Reviewed 16 October 2013

I was at this HIE for a week this summer while on vacation. My first impression came from the woman who was working the front desk when I arrived. No one could have been nicer or more helpful with questions I had about the immediate area. My room was on the second floor right above the lobby/breakfast area, but I never heard a sound--day or night. The breakfast bar was always stocked and ready on time--I know because I like to eat early and get on with my sightseeing each day. This was my third time to stay in the area, but now I know not to look any more for a comfortable spot to stay with an outstanding staff. My only complaint was that it was difficult at times to get the card reader to work properly and allow me to open the door to my room. Once I had to have a staff member assist me with this, but otherwise there were no issues.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Starman1959
GMHoughton, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Houghton - Keweenaw, responded to this review, 22 October 2013
Thank you for taking a minute to pass along your experiances during your stay with us this past summer. We greatly appreciate it when our guests let us know the things they liked or didn't like about the staff and the hotel. I am so pleased you have found your home away from home for future visits to Houghton. We love our friends who visit year after year. We all look forward to seeing you the next time you come to the Copper Country!
Reviewed 2 October 2013 via mobile

Front desk staff very friendly and helpful. Room was clean and had plenty of room for 3 people. They offered a large variety of breakfast items. I even received a little welcome bag with snacks when I arrived. Would stay here again if in the area!

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank David S
GMHoughton, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Houghton - Keweenaw, responded to this review, 4 October 2013
We appreciate you taking time to post a review regarding your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express in Houghton, MI. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and the breakfast bar. We strive to make every stay as comfortable and pleasant as possible for our guests. It is nice to hear when someone has a great stay! Thank you!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Houghton
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Houghton
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Calumet
Baraga Lakeside Inn
Baraga Lakeside Inn
#1 of 4 in Baraga

Been to Holiday Inn Express Houghton - Keweenaw? Share your experiences!