“Labor Day memories”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Houghton Lake
Lagoon Resort & Motel
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Houghton Lake
Reviewed 6 September 2013

As I was scrolling through some of the great reviews I come across one that indicates that the owner was rude and drank there alcohol. I highly doubt that was the case. Don and his son Brian were some of the most laid back and personable people I have ever met. They were by far the best owners of a resort I have ever met. We had originally requested a 2 bedroom cabin and upon check in we wanted to see if a 3 bedroom was available and it was. This place was huge. We had 3 bedrooms, a full kitchen, living room, and a sun room. Oh and did I mention it was right on the water. As far as amenities go. They had a paddle boat, 2 kayaks, a big sand beach, tons of toys for the kids, a bonfire pit, basketball, tether ball, and a swing set. Oh and I almost forgot, a slide in the lake that the kids loved. This place felt like a home away from home. Please don't let a negative review deter you from this place. I do a lot of research on this site and have been many places and I have never felt better than here. My family and the others that were up there would also agree. I already booked again for next year. Thanks Don and Brian. You guys made my family experience a great one!!

Room Tip: ask for a lakefront room. totally worth it
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank jaydog77

Reviewed 6 September 2013

Had a three day stay, recently. Don was a wonderful host; exceptional, friendly service. Really, really, really enjoyed our whole experience. The place is quaint and charming. Spotless clean cabin too!
Thanks so much Don!

Reviewed 2 September 2013

We called last minute for Labor Day weekend. I called a couple other places and called back to book it. The owner Don was awesome from our first phone call to checking out! Thank you! It felt just like going up north to grandpa's house. Very welcoming, very friendly and relaxed. My wife and I were looking for a last boating get away for the season with our boat and this was perfect! It is NOT a Hilton with room service. It is the best for a true northern Michigan get away. The price was awesome, the guys are very friendly, place is clean and location is perfect. We look forward to being back soon and becoming a regular fixture there! Thank you Don. See you again soon! Don and Kim M., Lowell, Michigan.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DLMIII
Reviewed 24 August 2013

Myself and my family have been going up to the Lagoon Resort for more than 23 years. We always feel like we are at home and the owner Don Thomas and his son Brian are always helpful in making our yearly vacation a success.

This year we had a little excitement because there was a man in a wheel chair and someone was pushing him out on the dock and the wheel chair went over the side. There were several people offering assistance to get the man out of the water and on the pontoon. That is the way people are up there, it is just like family. Everybody watches out for each other.

It is a special place to start family traditions by going there on vacation and continue every year.
Lots of great things to do.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Mary K
Reviewed 14 August 2013

My family looks forward to our Lagoon Resort stay all year long. Mr. Don, the owner and his son, Brian have become like family to us and greatly enhance our time at the lake. Many of the same people come year after year to enjoy the laid-back, relaxing atmosphere they provide. Most nights, my husband and I invite Mr. Don to have dinner with us at our cabin where we catch up and share stories. I have stayed at many 5 star resorts, but I come home more rested from this trip than any other. If you are looking for an up-North experience, this is it! Nightly bonfires, fishing, volleyball, swimming, the beach(much, much more than 8 feet) and more! In my years at the resort, many friends have been made with very few incidents of unruly guests. This year a family was rude and disrespectful to the owners and their property, damaging his pontoon boat along with being inappropriate and vulgar. It is sad when people who behave in such a manner can use such sites to spread misinformation. Lagoon Resort is the vacation we choose to relax and get away from all the stress in the world! Love it !

1  Thank Kim L
Reviewed 13 August 2013

As usual my family took our vacation to houghton lake where we have many summers trying out new resorts. When booking our location the owner seemed nice. What a difference when meeting him in person. He spied on all cabins with his binoculars during their stay was in and out if cabins that were rented while guests were gone and ripped us off on a boat rental. We rented the boat for a day only got to use it for half the day still charged us full price. Not to mention the boat broke down 10 miles from sight. When we called him for help he told us to pull up to the nearest dock and walk back. Knowing we had our handicapped brother with us and his Wheelchair was at the site. A family seen us and thankfully towed us back. Paying them $100 for their help. All the owner said was thats yer problem and refused to return our money. Not to mention while we were out he went into our cabin and drank our alcohol. Knowing this cause i marked the bottles after suspecting something weird and then finding them in our trash. Stay some where else unless u want to be spied on ripped off and stolen from.

• Stayed: August 2013
6  Thank louaine
Reviewed 11 August 2013

Me, my wife and 2 daughters stayed for a week in a cottage right on the lake. Between our cottage and the lake was the fun/fire pit where new friends were made with many other families. We rented a pontoon from Don (the owner) and ran all day on the lake. Everything was just like summers spent up north as kids in grandmas cottage for my Wife. Don and Brian are a father son team that takes care of any request they can and were always available during the entire week. My girls made friends with all the other kids they ran around as the parents enjoyed the Fires and soda pops while looking straight up and seeing, what my youngest said, a gazillion stars, some shooting. If you want to relax or have a lot of fun this is the place to stay, just not in my cabin cuz i'll be there already! Thanks Don see ya next year!

1  Thank David M
Ramada Grayling Hotel and Conference Center
Super 8 Houghton Lake
Super 8 Houghton Lake
#1 of 15 in Houghton Lake

Been to Lagoon Resort & Motel? Share your experiences!