“One of the Best Comfort Suites That I Have Stayed In.”

Lakeside Resort and Conference Center
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Houghton Lake
Reviewed 16 September 2013

This place is under new management and they are doing a great job. Room was clean and was recently remodeled. The staff was great and it is easy to find. Shopping is close by. Breakfast was one of the better ones I have had at hotels.

Reviewed 2 September 2013

Stayed in a single king; lakeside. Balcony was nice. Rooms were ok. Waterpark was nice for a 2 year old. Outside of that. No good. Water was dirty and could have used a good cleaning. The bathrooms molding was sad and peeling. The breakfast was sad as well. Nothing about my stay was overly awesome. I won't spend my money to stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Userx100
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Although booking a room was a fiasco, once we were settled in, it was great!

My sister's wedding was there. The wedding party came into their dock on a pontoon. The balcony was awesome. The DJ invited everyone out to see the grand entrance :).

The wait staff was amazing. The servers were very helpful and polite, friendly and played along on the photos my brother took.

Even though 9:30 seems too early to end breakfast, it was delicious. I think the waffle iron that makes 4 small waffles is genius.

The best part was the water park. My sister and her husband booked it from Midnight to 2 AM and they had a bar set up for us. There's a water slide, shallow pool with a fountain for little kids, two hot tubs, a lazy river and a deeper pool. Everyone had a great time. It was hard getting the kids to leave.

The kids also enjoyed the arcade, which was very nice and the bridal suite is unbelievable. The pictures don't do it justice. It's like an apartment and the heated floors in the bathroom are amazing!

The fiasco was that I booked the room in May and paid for it right away to get a better rate. In July, just a few weeks before the wedding, the general manager cancelled the reservations. Choice Hotels told me that the money was given to the hotel. I was scolded for booking over the internet with a "third party" and was told I would have to get my money back from them and I would have to pay for one of the available rooms. Right in front of me, taking up most of the counter, was a sign advertising Choice Privileges.

When I called originally, before booking online, I was told that the only way I could book my room over the phone would be by talking to a single person Monday through Thursday between 9 AM and 4:30 PM.

I did yell a little and there was only one clerk and I would not let her go until I was satisfied and there was a line out the door waiting to check in and get settled before the hall opened. The reception was supposed to start in less than an hour and I was the Maid of Honor. I stayed at the counter on the phone and people were asking what was going on, including my parents who paid a lot of money for the wedding. So, in the end, she did give me the key without asking for my credit card and told me the manager would work it out and they apparently did.

So, hopefully, this is not their standard procedure and there is some reasonable explanation for the SNAFU, because I would definitely recommend the hotel other than that.

Reviewed 5 August 2013

We booked two rooms here Saturday August 3rd, One on the first floor next to the pool, and one on second floor just above the front desk. We were un-aware of a Wedding party staying on the second floor...

Well this is how it panned out. The pool closes at 10 PM.. The wedding party somehow reserved the pool from 12(midnight) to 2 AM. They were noisy - rowdy - swearing and yelling. Our friends on the first floor were awake from all the ruckus and called the desk several times, with no avail to the calamity. I was on the second floor so when the "Pool Party" was over at 2am ish. The party moved up to the hallway/seating area outside my room at 3:00am to 4:30 when all the drunks passed out.

Spoke to the front desk in the morning to get our room(s) comped from such a terrible nights stay. She said we should have called the Police ourselves... and that if it were her, she would have left in the wee hours of the morning and stayed somewhere else, even slept in her car>...

She said she would have the manager call to comp my room. I received a call and the manager said her DM who is the big manager, would give us a $50.00 off our $205.00 bill. I said it was unacceptable and wanted her DM to call me and explain. Well I am still awaiting a call...

Room Tip: Don't stay near the pool, If there is a wedding party, stay on a floor above if possible...
1  Thank MichCabo
Reviewed 16 July 2013

My daughter was married here over the 4th of July weekend 2013. Brooklyn is the general manager and wedding planner. She was able to make every one of my daughter's requests happen. The chef was able to accommodate her every wish. She had pasties for her rehersal dinner, Chicago hot dogs and Coney Dogs, firecracker popsicles and choco- tacos at her wedding. Peggy, the kitchen manager helped us by washing and keeping clean mason jars available during the entire wedding day. The staff helped us by taking care of our decorations both outside for the BBQ reception and inside in the ball room. As the mother it was so helpful not to be worrying about un-decorating at the end of the evening. They also allowed for a 3rd reception at the water park after it was closed. We used the entire facility, which makes it a good wedding venue if you need 70 rooms or less. The free breakfast was good. I liked the waffles which could be topped by strawberries. The housekeeping staff was overwhelmed by how many guests were coming and going each day, but they worked until they were done. Brooklyn took many pictures of our event which has posted on their Facebook page. She took some that even the photographer didn't take. What a bonus for us! The outside made a beautiful spot for both a wedding and outside reception. The stage in the restaurant worked well for the karaoke that we brought in. Sitting in the screened in area was relaxing.

Room Tip: All rooms have their own thermostat which works well. The pillows are small. The rooms on the lakesi...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 June 2013

If you are traveling to the Houghton Lake area and want a lakeside hotel that is better than the others in the area, this is your best choice. The hotel feels newer and is well-maintained. The front desk staff are friendly and helpful. I enjoyed being able to walk out on the dock in back.

The breakfast was good, although it would be nice if they kept it available a little bit longer for people who want to sleep in.

Our room was large and immaculate. I will be staying at this hotel again for sure.

Room Tip: Try to get a lakeside room.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 May 2013

We stayed the weekend at this hotel and it was great. The rooms were clean, the staff was very friendly and helpful. I had a memorial service luncheon for 46 people and the food and service were wonderful. I would recommend it highly. The new management and rennovations made a big difference for the better.

Room Tip: The view is great on the lakeside.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
American Inn & Suites
American Inn & Suites
#5 of 15 in Houghton Lake
Lakeside Motel & Cottages

Been to Lakeside Resort and Conference Center? Share your experiences!