“Pleasant Stay” 3 of 5 bubbles

Lakeside Resort and Conference Center
Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Houghton Lake
“Pleasant Stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

We booked a two room suit over looking the water for one night. Some of the reviews I read made me a little nervous. We travel often and are a custom to hotels that have a certain quality and cleanliness to them. The older reviews brought these issues up more than a couple times. However, we found our room to be fairly nice. No real issues stood out. My kids loved the bunk beds and the view of the lake was very nice. The kids enjoyed the water slide and the pool. Everything seemed kept up well there. I noticed that they had just laid brand new carpet on the first floor. It seems as if they are trying to address some of the cosmetic issues and update the decor a bit. All in all we had a nice stay. If they continue to lay new carpet and upgrade things this hotel could easily get a 4 star out of me.

Stayed August 2014
Brooklynn B, General Manager at Lakeside Resort and Conference Center, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us! We are glad that you and your family enjoyed your stay. We do hope to see you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Lansing, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

This is our third stay at this hotel & it is always very clean and it is right on the lake with a large dock to tie up a boat. It is also pet-friendly. It has a small water park which we've always skipped as we don't have children traveling with us. The hotel is probably the best in the area. As for the restaurant....there are many restaurants in Houghton Lake, skip this one. Yes, it is clean, yes it has a wonderful view of the water, yes there is outdoor seating. But the food isn't good and the service is bad. But, hey, other than that...we ordered the prime rib sandwich with onions and mushrooms just as it is listed on the menu and the fish tacos. The prime rib sandwich came with onions and mushrooms on it and also a bowl of mushrooms & onions. When we asked about that, the waitress said, well you said 'mushrooms and onions'; she needs to become familiar with the menu. As to the sandwich itself, if the au jus was actually a good au jus, the sandwich could have been good. However, the au jus was more of a thick off-seasoned gravy which wasn't edible. We've had excellent fish tacos, we've had mediocre fish tacos and everything in between. These were horrible; if there was fish in there, we couldn't find it & the sauce on it was vinegary.

Room Tip: Even numbered rooms are on the lakeside, odd numbered face the parking lot. If you get a lakeside r...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Brooklynn B, General Manager at Lakeside Resort and Conference Center, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us in Houghton Lake. We are glad to hear that this was your third time back! We would like to apologize for the issues you did encounter in the restaurant. The information you have provided will be brought to the attention of the Management in the restaurant.

We do hope to see you again soon!

Fenton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

This hotel is a nice clean typical tourist hotel. The rooms are a very nice size. Larger than expected. A few things were wrong with our room. But were taken care of quickly. The fridge was not working when we checked in. And the air conditioning wasn't cooling. This hotel is lake front but does not have a beach It may look like a beach in the pictures but really is a cement wall. Lakeside has a restaurant/bar on site which was very nice. They definitely could use new mattresses. We did not check out the pool area or use the arcade.

Room Tip: We were ground floor. But not lakeside. Pretty noisy lakeside.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Brooklynn B, Front Office Manager at Lakeside Resort and Conference Center, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us in Houghton Lake we do appreciate all feedback. We are glad that the issues you did encounter in your room were taken care of quickly and you were able to enjoy the room.
We hope to see again in the future!

Jennifer
Mississippi
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

Firstly, I have to say I am VERY picky about where I stay. I generally opt for Marriott/Sheraton types, but obviously that isn't a choice in the great north. My parents booked two rooms in May for July 3-5 and I was nervous because from what I understand, this hotel is in receivership/bankruptcy (or is for sale or something to that extent). On the Monday before, my husband and I decided we wanted to go up early (before my parents) by two days. We had no problems getting in early. We wanted to have our extra two days billed separately to us (not my parents). We did NOT want them to know we were up there early for personal reasons. We were told it wouldn't be a problem. After the second night of our early stay, we took care of the bill and were assured these dates would not show on my parents' receipt. At the end of the vacation, those extra two days DID show up on their receipt even though we paid for the days. They screwed that up. Lovely. Had to try and wiggle out of that one.

Third floor parking lot side room 315 (I think?). Upon opening the door, we were greeted with a REALLY nice smell. :) My parents' room didn't have that, but we did! The room was really nice compared to what I was expecting. It was spotless and spacious. Huge bonus was the taller refrigerator and microwave! The TV, however, is old school, which was a drag, but we didn't spend much time watching TV. I LOVED LOVED LOVED the fact the window in the room was able to be opened more than an inch! I slide that sucker open all the way! Most hotels don't let you open the window more than inch (if at all). Had some really nice breezes and fresh air come through. Bathroom was very clean with small samples of shampoo, lotion, etc. Bathroom was very roomy (BONUS!). The beds were nothing like you'd get in a Marriott or Sheraton, but they weren't exactly stiff as a board, either. If you suffer from arthritis/fibro, you may have some issues, but I just doped up on ibuprofen ahead of time;) I would HIGHLY suggest bringing your OWN pillows. The ones provided are lumpy. They feel like just batting you find in a craft store in a bag that has been matted into lumps. Horrible:( The AC was VERY efficient! Almost better than central air!!! :)

The one thing I never understand, though, with some of the "cheaper" brand hotels is the lack of upkeep with minor cosmetic issues. Two of our lampshades had issues. One looked like it had some serious water stains to it and another had a slit in the side of it (see pictures). How hard is it to replace LAMPSHADES? One of the easiest things to do for cosmetic appearances. We did have a couple of cigarette burn holes in the curtain (see picture)..again, replace it. They come cheap at Walmart and could make a huge difference in a review. My parents' room (adjoining) had weird black marks on the ceiling touch up paint could easily fix.

As the holiday grew closer, the hotel filled. It wasn't as noisy as I expected, but then again, we did have a floor fan (for white noise) running at night (we've learned this is a GOOD thing to bring in hotels). The one thing I will NEVER understand is a "pet friendly" hotel. I.HATE.DOGS. Why do I hate dogs?? Because they SMELL and BARK. This hotel was no exception to the rule. My parents room did not smell like ours. It smelled as though a DOG had been in it previously. Had a yipping dog across the hall from us, too. PEOPLE....respect others (and those with ALLERGIES) and board the hairy beasts, rent a cabin/cottage, or camp. I see why Marriott hotels charge an arm and a leg for pets. They ought to. Rarely do you see dogs in a higher class hotel.

Water "park" isn't like a typical water park you'd see at Great Wolf Lodge or Soaring Eagle. It's a MUCH lesser scale. More like three pools (one gradual incline) with a waterslide, but for kids, it's ALL good! Pool area is HIGHLY chlorinated (which is probably a good thing) and I could feel my eyes burning just walking into the area (I didn't go in the water). Drinks are NOT technically permitted in the pool area, but people did bring them in. Not sure how much this area is monitored, but drunk people and water with kids don't mix well.

Wifi was slower than I would've hoped and the more the hotel filled, the worse it got.

I loved the daily fresh diffused water (cucumber and lemon) in the lobby area. Breakfast was your average thing of eggs, sausage, bagels, cereal, yogurt, waffles. The hotel restaurant was visually surprising.....like a modern sports bar type of thing. They had ample seating and even a pool table for a buck! The arcade is just outside the entrance of the restaurant. LOVED the screened in seating on the lake! I could've sat there all day with the nice breezes and scenery. They were never busy, but it took FOREVER to receive orders. Servers were very friendly and they tried to accommodate my need for gluten-free. The kitchen even made a special gluten-free dressing for me :) Food was nothing spectacular, though, and as expected, a tad pricey (convenience).

Would I stay again? Probably (unless a Marriott, Hampton type pops up somewhere). It's the best in the area. But I would, again, bring the fan, personal pillows, and plan accordingly.

Room Tip: I would NOT want a room on the main floor close to the pool area. Lots of foot traffic and noise.
2 Thank natgoss
Brooklynn B, Manager at Lakeside Resort and Conference Center, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review regarding your stay with us. We would like to apologize for the issues you had with your bill, this will be brought to the attention of the front desk staff.
We are glad you did enjoy your suite! We are currently in the stages of revamping our property in hopes our guest(s) will thoroughly enjoy their stay.

Thank you again for taking the time to review your stay!
Saginaw, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

Just stayed for 4th of July holiday weekend, overall not a "bad" place..it was nice having different things to do under 1 roof (water park, arcade, restaurant,etc) However don't be in a hurry if you eat at it. The workers seemed stressed and it really wasn't that busy. Then our room cleaning consisted of trash being pulled and a few new towels ?? Beds weren't made, toiletries and coffee wasn't replaced.... I've stayed at many hotels and that's usually just routine. On a positive note, the front desk workers were AWESOME! From Samantha who I first talked with and gave me a lot of helpful info to check in.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
We would first like to thank you for reviewing your stay with us over the Holiday weekend. Secondly we would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations. All the issues that were mentioned in this review will be brought to each departments attention.
We do hope that you would consider staying with us in the future!

Thank You!
Upper Peninsula of Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

Gosh, we were so excited about staying here last month . . It looks nice, doesn't it? Reminds me of a resort!
Unfortunately, the view may be great, but the stay wasn't. Our first clue was walking in the room and seeing a big old television set sitting there. These days -- that's a red alert. On closer inspection, we were disappointed with the unclean fridge, the peeling wallpaper, and the cigarette holes in the comforter. And let's not forget some old socks under one of the beds. Add to that -- only one ice machine was working on the property and the Hot Tub in the "water park" was cold; and has been for awhile.
Another turnoff was the smoke smell everywhere. It seems the entire staff smokes and almost all of the customers. We were also uncomfortable watching a couple of pairs of drunks check in, and listening to the swearing by some drinkers in the bar. There is no reason to service these people.
We had reservations and the hotel was not full. We requested lakeside rooms but were told that would cost extra. I don't see that on their webpage. Its obvious the General Manager does not take pride in this establishment.
We were not comfortable here. Too bad. This property has so much potential! Choice Hotels needs to come visit and get it in shape!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Bay5
Brooklynn B, General Manager at Lakeside Resort and Conference Center, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
We would like to apologize for the issues that were mentioned during your stay with us. Thank you for taking the time to leave a review regarding the issues so they can be addressed with the correct departments with in the hotel. This will provide a learning tool for all; as we are always striving to meet and exceed our guest(s) expectations.

Travellers are raving about these Houghton Lake hotels

Muskogee
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed here first week in May. Traveled from Oklahoma, drove straight through arrived after 10:00pm. The bedding smelled soo bad. We called down to the front desk and they had no one to make up the bed. But if we wanted we could come get some clean bedding and make the room ourselves. We did because we had a family event here and we wanted to stay with our family. The next morning I had to go to the front desk and ask to have my room cleaned. It was after 1:00 pm and they had cleaned the rooms on that floor. They forgot my room and my sheets and quilt were in the hallway on the floor. They just ignored the bedding on the floor. The next morning the toilets we stopped up and they did not leave an extra roll of toilet paper or clean towels. When I went to the front desk to complain the girl gets an attitude with me like this was my fault. She wanted to charge me for my dog when I made my reservations they knew I had a dog and charged me for my dog I ask what they could do to make this right with me for my horrible stay and having to make up my own room stopped up toilet and getting my reservation wrong. She told me she would wave my pet fee. My whole family was soo shocked by the lack of compassion of these workers. The incompetence of messing up reservation and acting like it was my fault. I was charge almost $400 for a 2 night stay and had to make up my own room and backed up toilet no toilet paper or fresh towels. I will never stay at a comfort inn or any affiliate with them. They need to coach workers other members of my family were treated the same way with different things that happened to them at the same event. This place needs to be investigated by there corporate office. This is the worst stay I ever had in my 50 years of living

• Stayed May 2014
6 Thank Debdoo74403
We would like to apologize for not meeting or exceeding your expectations during your stay with us at the beginning of May. All of the issues that you endured will be brought to the attention of our entire staff in all departments.
We will take the information that you have brought to light and use this a guide to further train our staff as we are here to make our guests stay as enjoyable as possible.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Houghton Lake
#1 of 15 in Houghton Lake
American Inn & Suites
American Inn & Suites
#6 of 15 in Houghton Lake

Been to Lakeside Resort and Conference Center? Share your experiences!