“stayed multiple times”

Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Howell
Howell, Michigan
“stayed multiple times”
Reviewed 13 September 2012

great motel for 60 bucks. i stay one night every two weeks. services was good. lady at the counter was nice and helpful. room was clean. bed was clean this is no 5 star hotel but its a nice one nice one night stay and we will continue staying.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ryan m

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Reviewed 13 August 2012

Oh jeez, where do I start!? My biggest problem has been the manager, Chris. He is arrogant, lazy, incredibly obnoxious, and very disdainful of the so-called "guests" at this establishment. He was nice enough when we came here to book our first week, but after he had our money his entire demeanor changed. We decided to stay here because it is close to my husband's work & the commute would be easier while we are looking to relocate somewhere closer to his job. During our stay here our youngest daughter was kidnapped from her grandfather's house by a family member. We finally found her after a week of searching and asked to switch our king room to one with two queen beds. By this time we had been staying in our king room for about 3 weeks, always paying for our next week 2 days before it was due. For some reason they couldn't swap rooms unless we switched before noon, but they offered us a roll away bed that they charge $15 per night for. We had spent our entire savings for a new house searching for our daughter & after paying over $1000 a month to stay here we thought that the least they could do was throw in the roll away bed for free. At this point we hadn't taken advantage of any of the so called ammenities they offer. The breakfast is not even worth getting up early for. It consists of a couple bagels, muffins, and pastries. We are private people and kept the do not disturb sign up the entire time we were here opting to wash our own towels and cleaning our own room instead. When they did change our room to a room with "2 queen beds" we were moved to a dirty, smelly, bug-infested room on "hillbilly row." The beds were not queen beds, they were only slightly larger than twin beds. I was really itchy and noticed that there were fleas crawling all over the room. The row of rooms they moved us to was full of loud children running around and screaming at all hours of the day and night unsupervised. We soon realized that this row was where the housekeepers lived with their children. My husband was unable to sleep on the small, hard, uncomfortable bed with the kids screaming outside our window well into the night. The icing on the cake was when he came to the room on his break to check on us and there was a cockroach crawling across the floor. He went to the office and asked for a new room because we didn't want bugs in our things. Of course, they gave him a hard time and it was like pulling teeth to get rooms changed. They were not apologetic at all about the fleas, roaches, or the chaos that went on at all hours. We moved out of that room as quickly as we could so that we wouldn't take the bugs with is. That was when the real problems started. Just after moving to our new room the front desk called complaining about the condition we left the room in. We left 2 cups out and didn't make the beds. I asked why we needed to make the beds if they need to change the sheets after each room was vacated & she couldn't give me an answer. She said that the room was left in "less than perfect" condition & we were responsible for damages. I asked what they pay housekeeping for if the guest was supposed to leave the room in perfect condition. At this point I started to get angry and listed all of the motel's shortcomings. She stuttered out an apology and hung up. I don't know how they can call me and complain about the cleanliness of a room when it had cockroaches and fleas in it before we moved in there! We now get mandatory surprise room inspections because Chris is convinced we are hiding a cat or a dog because there was hair on the floor. I picked the hair up and showed him that it was long human hair & I have never seen a cat ot dog with hair like that. But the guy is bound and determined to catch us with an animal, even though the rooms are tiny & there is nowhere to hide an animal! There is so much more I could say about the awful experience we have had at this roach motel, but I have been long winded enough. I did want to add that the stress of staying here & getting my daughter kidnapped was so stressful that I now have a bleeding ulcer in my stomach that is incredibly painful. I had to go to the hospital & I was put on bed rest and told to stay away from stress and physical activity. The day after I got out of the hospital they wanted to clean my room despite the do not disturb sign. Chris told me I have to leave the room while they clean. We have a lot of valuable things in here and I didn't want to get out while they strangers clean. Plus I was in a lot of pain & supposed to be on bed rest. I explained this to Chris & took my papers from the hospital to him. He said it didn't matter & I needed to get out of my room for half an hour & let them clean & vacuum whether I wanted to or not. He said to sit on the lobby while they clean & quit giving him a hard time. With the bleeding ulcer I need to stay by a bathroom so I refused & my husband went to talk to them. We finally put a down payment on out new house & we will be out of here in a couple days! Thank goodness! This has been the worst summer of my life because of what I have had to put up with at this place! I would never recommend this place to anyone! Not even someone I hate! I thought mandatory and surprise room inspections were only for jail and boot camp. Not a room that we are paying over $1000 a month for! Oh, and forget about the pool or kitchenettes. There is no water in the pool & they don't ever have kitchenettes available. Stay anywhere else! There is nothing at all positive about this dive!

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank pinktoni

Travellers are raving about these Howell hotels

Bad Axe, Michigan
Reviewed 23 June 2012

This place is awful. The first room had a broken door jam so they gave us a different room. Room 2 had no drain in the sink or the bath tub. It had holes in the curtain so day light came through. The microwave flashed continually even after setting the clock. When we asked about the pool they said it was closed. We looked and no water in it! The carpet was stained. The towels were worn and scratchy. No safety chain on the door. I started wondering about bed bugs as I was lying in bed. Washed everything when I got home. No discount even offered for our inconvenience. I would camp in my car rather than stay there again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Theresa F
traverse city
Reviewed 10 June 2012

I stayed there on two occasions and was sick both times. The first time I did not think much of feeling ill until I returned and felt the same way. Coughing, no appetite, sneezing and a complete lack of energy. Mold appeared in the tub interior walls and I was pretty sure why I was feeling so poorly. Maintenence blamed a leaky faucet for the mold. Really?? I spoke with a few people who live there and they had mold too. Because many children live there I am going to see what I can do to make them fix this problem. I did call the health dept. but they have no recourse. Anyone who is giving this place a good review has a motive. The interior pictures are a flat out lie as well as the exterior. Both rooms I stayed in looked nothing like the pictures. Stinky, bed looked like someone had laid on top of it, cobwebs, cigarette hole in sheet and the water smells. Wish you luck if you choose this dump.

Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank patricia m
Shreveport, Louisiana
Reviewed 10 March 2012

As a construction worker, I have had to stay in some pretty ratty places from time to time. But this place takes the cake. The toilet runs loudly, there are cobwebs behind the bathroom door, and the carpet is repulsive. Not even the sheets want to stay on those nasty beds! The blankets are worn and tattered. The heater rattles and clunks all through the night. The one "good" thing about this hotel? In every bathroom, there is a beer bottle-opener on the door frame. So I guess you could get your drink on while getting your crap on.....We were supposed to be here for 8 weeks while remodeling a WalMart, but I'd rather go home and miss out on the paycheck than stay here another night! Coming from a seasoned construction worker, a bad review for a hotel is really something. I should have run at the first red flag--the guy with glasses in the office acted dazed and confused when I arrived to check in. I repeated "I need a room" several times (in clear English, no accent I might add!) while he stared back at me and said "What? A room? OK, so what do you want me to do?" umm, check me into one? or is that too much to ask of a hotel clerk? What else could I possibly be there for? I noticed another reviewer mentioned that this place is only suitable for construction workers, but I've got to clarify-- not even construction workers like this rat hole!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank thetravelingworker
Howell, Michigan, United States
Reviewed 12 December 2011

When it comes to hotels in Howell Michigan there are few to choose from. While the Kensington Inn offers a good location next to the freeway exit, that is all it has to offer. The rooms are outdated and the people who inhabit the place aren't the best looking either. It is located behind one of Howell's biggest "nightlife" destinations. So if it is a night's stay it is not so bad. The rooms are cheap and you definitely get what you pay for.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
Columbus, OH
Reviewed 6 July 2011

We stayed at this place because it seemed to have ok (if not rave) reviews here on Tripadvisor and because it had the best price for a place between Ann Arbor and Lansing. And the price *was* good -- $59 for a night in a king room. The staff was friendly and helpful. And they seem to be trying to spruce up the place with landscaping and stuff. The motel was pretty full, but overall it was really pretty quiet. The air conditioning worked fine, and the room had a mini fridge.

But... Kensington Inn really needs a rehab. The rooms are old and shabby. The bathrooms are small, and in ours, the flange on the shower faucet wasn't flush to the wall, so water could get behind it when you were taking a shower. As previously mentioned, the shower heads are low, so be prepared to scrunch down to get your hair wet if you're tall. There were no bed bugs (we always check), but the room could have been cleaner (crumbs/dust on the floor, etc). The first set of sheets on the bed had several holes in them. When we discovered a suspicious spot on the sheet -- which could have been just a threadbare area, but we weren't 100% confident it wasn't an oily mark, or worse, body fluids! -- they gave us a new set. The chairs in the room were the old wood and upholstered college dorm types -- really stained and worn out. The breakfast was not much -- a few bagels and muffins and Sunny Delight. It doesn't seem like a dangerous area, but personal security wasn't great; there was no chain of bar lock on the door. If I were by myself, I definitely wouldn't have stayed.

Overall, the Kensington Inn would barely get a "fair" rating -- if you have other options, I would suggest you consider them. But, if you have no other choice of a place to stay, it will do for a night.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank shall07834
Also consider these accommodations in or near Howell
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Howell
Baymont Inn & Suites Howell/brighton
Holiday Inn Express Brighton
Homewood Suites Brighton
Courtyard Detroit Brighton
Quality Inn Durand
Quality Inn Durand
#2 of 2 in Durand

Been to Kensington Inn? Share your experiences!