“Older property -but good service”
Review of Kensington Inn

Kensington Inn
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Howell
Reviewed 17 November 2012

This is an older property, but the service is good and its located right off the expressway. There are lots of dining options near by as well. They do have micro fridge and refrigerators units available- so if you are staying for a couple of days that would be a great option.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank melbor

Reviewed 19 October 2012

chris and his flock of losers need to be fired ASAP treat people like crap they cut my power off to my room to check for a dog i knew they did it because i steped out side everyone rooms in my roll power was on it was horrible my kids were crying it was dark i triped over my stuff on the floor to go look out side next thing i knew chris called to tell me let housekeepers in no house keeper every came it was a loser arab talking about dog hair 100 extra dont you know vaccuums cant pull up dog hair lol what a joke that place is i wouldnt even pay to get a room for dog to stay by its self please everyone reading theses reviews its the truth the staff is writing that crap about how good and clean it is

Room Tip: check reviews on web
Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank kelly409
Reviewed 18 October 2012 via mobile

The manager chris and the maintenance guy are two of the worst people i ve ever come across first the maintenance guy barged in my room while i was gone and made lewd comments to my wife and when she rejected him he told her he was charging us for cooking inthe room and that we had to get out then on top of that the manager chris said we had a dog in our room cause he found dog hair which wasnt ours cause we dont have a dog he tried to throw us out and keep our money i was about to call the police over the matter when he receeded and said we could stay which i didnt want to but ge wouldnt refund my money so i was stuck my advice is pay the couple extra dollars and go to the best western down the street! Beware of kensington inn read the reviews before u stay do not ignore them as i did!!!

• Stayed: October 2012
3  Thank covert1578
Reviewed 30 September 2012

Anyone that is giving this dive a decent review must work there! I was unfortunate enough to have a very extended stay there. Chris, the manager, is arrogant, rude, and a bit insane. He thinks he is a prison warden instead of a hotel clerk. I will never take having a nice, clean home for granted again! My family was hit with multiple tragedies and deaths and we were really low on money so we were stuck staying there until we could save enough to put a down payment on a house. As if everything that I had gone through wasn't enough, we ha to deal with the worst motel experience of our lives. I have traveled the country & stayed at all types of motels and hotels and this one was without a doubt, the WORST EVER! I've stayed at the Economy Motel in a bad neighborhood in Flint, Mi and had a much better experience than I did at Kensington . Trust me, you will hate it here and be disgusted, too. Don't bring your things in if you are stuck staying here. There are roaches and fleas. And a couple other unidentifiable creatures. It's cheap. But there's a reason for that!

• Stayed: August 2012
3  Thank pinktoni
Reviewed 18 September 2012

I got a king room close to the lobby, it was dated but my room was clean. I was happy with my stay and the price I paid. I don't expect to be traveling to this area again, but if I do I would stop here again.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank trphyl55
Reviewed 13 September 2012

great motel for 60 bucks. i stay one night every two weeks. services was good. lady at the counter was nice and helpful. room was clean. bed was clean this is no 5 star hotel but its a nice one nice one night stay and we will continue staying.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ryan m
Reviewed 13 August 2012

Oh jeez, where do I start!? My biggest problem has been the manager, Chris. He is arrogant, lazy, incredibly obnoxious, and very disdainful of the so-called "guests" at this establishment. He was nice enough when we came here to book our first week, but after he had our money his entire demeanor changed. We decided to stay here because it is close to my husband's work & the commute would be easier while we are looking to relocate somewhere closer to his job. During our stay here our youngest daughter was kidnapped from her grandfather's house by a family member. We finally found her after a week of searching and asked to switch our king room to one with two queen beds. By this time we had been staying in our king room for about 3 weeks, always paying for our next week 2 days before it was due. For some reason they couldn't swap rooms unless we switched before noon, but they offered us a roll away bed that they charge $15 per night for. We had spent our entire savings for a new house searching for our daughter & after paying over $1000 a month to stay here we thought that the least they could do was throw in the roll away bed for free. At this point we hadn't taken advantage of any of the so called ammenities they offer. The breakfast is not even worth getting up early for. It consists of a couple bagels, muffins, and pastries. We are private people and kept the do not disturb sign up the entire time we were here opting to wash our own towels and cleaning our own room instead. When they did change our room to a room with "2 queen beds" we were moved to a dirty, smelly, bug-infested room on "hillbilly row." The beds were not queen beds, they were only slightly larger than twin beds. I was really itchy and noticed that there were fleas crawling all over the room. The row of rooms they moved us to was full of loud children running around and screaming at all hours of the day and night unsupervised. We soon realized that this row was where the housekeepers lived with their children. My husband was unable to sleep on the small, hard, uncomfortable bed with the kids screaming outside our window well into the night. The icing on the cake was when he came to the room on his break to check on us and there was a cockroach crawling across the floor. He went to the office and asked for a new room because we didn't want bugs in our things. Of course, they gave him a hard time and it was like pulling teeth to get rooms changed. They were not apologetic at all about the fleas, roaches, or the chaos that went on at all hours. We moved out of that room as quickly as we could so that we wouldn't take the bugs with is. That was when the real problems started. Just after moving to our new room the front desk called complaining about the condition we left the room in. We left 2 cups out and didn't make the beds. I asked why we needed to make the beds if they need to change the sheets after each room was vacated & she couldn't give me an answer. She said that the room was left in "less than perfect" condition & we were responsible for damages. I asked what they pay housekeeping for if the guest was supposed to leave the room in perfect condition. At this point I started to get angry and listed all of the motel's shortcomings. She stuttered out an apology and hung up. I don't know how they can call me and complain about the cleanliness of a room when it had cockroaches and fleas in it before we moved in there! We now get mandatory surprise room inspections because Chris is convinced we are hiding a cat or a dog because there was hair on the floor. I picked the hair up and showed him that it was long human hair & I have never seen a cat ot dog with hair like that. But the guy is bound and determined to catch us with an animal, even though the rooms are tiny & there is nowhere to hide an animal! There is so much more I could say about the awful experience we have had at this roach motel, but I have been long winded enough. I did want to add that the stress of staying here & getting my daughter kidnapped was so stressful that I now have a bleeding ulcer in my stomach that is incredibly painful. I had to go to the hospital & I was put on bed rest and told to stay away from stress and physical activity. The day after I got out of the hospital they wanted to clean my room despite the do not disturb sign. Chris told me I have to leave the room while they clean. We have a lot of valuable things in here and I didn't want to get out while they strangers clean. Plus I was in a lot of pain & supposed to be on bed rest. I explained this to Chris & took my papers from the hospital to him. He said it didn't matter & I needed to get out of my room for half an hour & let them clean & vacuum whether I wanted to or not. He said to sit on the lobby while they clean & quit giving him a hard time. With the bleeding ulcer I need to stay by a bathroom so I refused & my husband went to talk to them. We finally put a down payment on out new house & we will be out of here in a couple days! Thank goodness! This has been the worst summer of my life because of what I have had to put up with at this place! I would never recommend this place to anyone! Not even someone I hate! I thought mandatory and surprise room inspections were only for jail and boot camp. Not a room that we are paying over $1000 a month for! Oh, and forget about the pool or kitchenettes. There is no water in the pool & they don't ever have kitchenettes available. Stay anywhere else! There is nothing at all positive about this dive!

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank pinktoni
Also consider these accommodations in or near Howell
Baymont Inn & Suites Howell/brighton
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Howell
Courtyard Detroit Brighton
Homewood Suites Brighton
Holiday Inn Express Brighton
Holiday Inn Express & Suites - Brighton South - US 23

Been to Kensington Inn? Share your experiences!