“Nice Price”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hudsonville
Grayslake, Illinois, United States
“Nice Price”
Reviewed 21 May 2012

I am not a fancy traveler. My only requirements are that a hotel is clean, comfortable, and reasonably priced. This hotel met that criteria.

This place used to be an Amerihost, and I noticed it had received many poor reviews (including bedbugs) in the past, so I was a little nervous..but everything was fine. The furniture in the room was somewhat worn (even the curtains seemed to be a little moth eaten), but everything was clean and the bed was exceptionally comfortable. It was also $40 cheaper than the hotel we were looking at in Grand Rapids.

We got to breakfast 30 minutes before it was over, and the milk/yogurt/etc were at room temperature at that point, so I wouldn't eat them. They did have a selection of sausage/eggs/waffles that my husband enjoyed.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Megan S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Ottawa
Reviewed 21 April 2012

I was a bit leary about staying here due to some of the reviews, but was very pleasntly surprised at the accommodations. It's pretty much what you would get at most Quality Inns across the country. The room was a bit dated, but clean and everything worked. The separate heating unit built into the wall worked well, and though not as quiet at newer models, was not a bother whatsoever. And the price was excellent - $56.99 including a decent breakfast.. I would not hesitate to stay here again..

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank headingsomeplace
P
Reviewed 18 January 2012

We used to stay here when it was amerihost inn and it was fine. Now it is not. The fan made a loud clicking noise so sleep was hard. Bed was comfortable but had 4 baby pillows for a king size bed. Sink faucet had no knob so had to turn the little pin by hand. Breakfast at 7:00 was non existent . I could tell there had been eggs and some kind of meat but no more. Only decaf coffee left which was better than nothing as in the room. Had a coffee pot but no coffee and just 1 tea bag in our room. We made reservation but they could not find it when we checked in probably because clerk spoke very little English.
Look elsewhere.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Peggy H

Travellers are raving about these Hudsonville hotels

Alanson
Reviewed 4 September 2011

Our daughter is on a traveling sports team, and this hotel was booked for the team to stay at. I looked at reviews and pictures on line and was very hesitant, so I called the hotel to ask how old the property was or if it had been recently renovated. The person I talked to had no idea. Upon arrival at the hotel, we found that the reviews were on target. We were scheduled to stay two nights but went to a different hotel the second night. Hallway carpet was very badly stained, room smelled like smoke, walls and ceilings stained, wallpaper peeling off walls, plugged sink (which the hotel staff tried to fix with Liquid Plumber. It helped, but didn't solve the problem), moldy shower curtain and very luke warm coffee in the morning. They did offer to let us change rooms, but based on the condition of the hotel as a whole we didn't bother. Front desk was nice but didn't know much, and breakfast was on ice in garbage cans in the vending room the night before. Won't make this mistake twice. Should have trusted my instincts and not booked the room in the beginning. And the wifi didn't work either.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank MIWendy
Reviewed 8 August 2011

This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed at... No hot water for 3 days, no AC in hallways, wall paper falling off walls, moth eaten curtains you could see straight through. I contacted Choice Hotels with no response, they should be ashamed of letting this franchise stay in business. If you have a wedding at Pinnacle, don't stay here, worth the cab ride to stay elsewhere!

• Stayed July 2011
3 Thank MarieHersh
Reviewed 28 July 2011

Stayed in July 2011. This was the 2nd time we tried this hotel in one year. First time was terrible, but chalked it up to a one time thing. 2nd time was just as bad.

Assigned room at check-in strongly smelled of smoke, but they did allow us to change. Once in the new room, turned down sheets to find obvious black stains on 6 out of 8 pillow cases, a large yellow stain (bigger than a dinner plate) and multiple smaller stains on the bedsheets. I asked for and received new, but they also were stained.

Clogged sink drain, no drain stopper in tub, I had to wash the shower curtain it stunk so bad, no fan in bathroom, had to have room keys reset twice, breakfast was less than adequate, desk clerk being gone from desk and leaving a 'Will return shortly' sign, part of door lock missing,and I could go on and on.

I realize this sounds as if I am being not picky; however, I am the opposite. I am willing to overlook a thing or two, but this was one thing after another. I would have gone elsewhere, but booked a non-refundable Internet rate.

Just glad I didn't wake up with bug bites (only reason it didn't get a '1' rating). Will be surprised if this place is still open in 5 years.

Definitely will pay the extra to stay in Holland next trip. Gave them two fair chances. Never here again.

• Stayed July 2011
3 Thank threesooners1
Michigan
Reviewed 24 July 2011

My husband and I stayed here due to its close proximity to the reception hall for a wedding we were attending. I checked in and my room had the strongest smoke odor I've ever encountered in a hotel room. The AC was cranking so I hoped that would help lessen the smell by the time we would return from our event.

Shortly after checking in, I was getting ready for our event when I heard someone inserting a key card into our door. The door flew open and there was a staff member staring back at me. Mortified as I had JUST gotten dressed, she apologized and said she was just looking for an empty room with a king bed. She hadn't known the room had been given out yet. Maybe they should have a policy where they KNOCK first?

After our event, we returned around 1:30 am and my husband was completely disgusted as well with the odor. Since this was the first time he had been in the room, he called the front desk and asked to be moved to a new one. They refused saying they were completely booked, but could of course bring us some 'spray' and would take $10 off our room. We ended up going down the hall to my sister's room and sleeping in her extra bed. Her room smelled like a mixture of mildew/smoke too, but it was much more tolerable than ours.

The icing on the cake is when we crawled into bed, the sheets were wet! It was disgusting and it reminded me of camping. My husband went to the front desk the next morning to try to get our room paid for. We were told the best they could do for us would be to knock $60 off our $100 room. Excuse me, you're still going to make us pay for a room we didn't even sleep in???

I plan on following up during business hours to speak with a manager regarding this as it was by far one of the worse hotel experiences I've ever encountered.

Bottom line is if you're going to the Pinnacle Center and plan on getting wasted, you'll probably be able to pass out here and be ok. There's no bars near by and we ended up driving to Grandville after the reception. However, I'm nearly 6 months pregnant and could not tolerate the horrible odors or wet sheets. We completely regret not driving home and wasting our money on this stay.

For a hotel that is probably surviving solely on the fact that the Pinnacle Center does so many events, they could definitely stand to do some major renovations and updating to their rooms.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank edowns88
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hudsonville
Comfort Suites
Hampton Inn Holland
Hampton Inn Holland
#1 of 18 in Holland
Hyatt Place Grand Rapids-South

Been to Quality Inn Hudsonville? Share your experiences!