“This Place is Quite Amazing” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Interlochen Center for the Arts

Interlochen Center for the Arts
More attraction details
Owner description: A showcase for talented young musicians from throughout the country.
Bloomington, Indiana
136 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 193 helpful votes
“This Place is Quite Amazing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

I had no idea what we would find when we ventured to this music/arts camp of 2,700 children from elementary through high school, and from all over the world! This is a rigorous and high-class operation for six weeks each summer, and if you are in the area, do go for a visit and see/hear some concerts. Housing may be available on campus but hotels and B&Bs are nearby and in Traverse City.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank Charlene A

12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“My daughter attended and will return”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

My 10 year old attended the summer dace program for 4 weeks and didn't want to come home. The staff are so caring and professional that I was comfortable leaving my first born in their hands for a month. If your child wants to intensely study an art form for the summer, but you as a parent aren't ready for them to go away then send them here. My daughter not only came home a better dancer but a more well rounded individual. Her love for the arts burns even stronger after attending Interlochen.

5 Thank Cwessel25
Mililani, Hawaii
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Even for adults, a transformative experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

If you are not familiar with the Interlochen Center for the Arts it is, quite simply, the premiere educational venue for young artists in the world. My son is an alumnus of the famous Summer Arts Camp and the prestigious Interlochen Arts Academy boarding school. He has been on staff at the Arts Camp for three years and I wanted an excuse to go spend a week and see him.

Interlochen, in recent years, has expanded its Summer College of the Creative Arts for adults. I registered for the Mystery Writers Workshop taught by Aaron Stander, a retired professor and well known NW Michigan author. The program was wonderful, the people in the class have become fast friends and my writing support group. I learned a great deal about the craft and business of writing and publishing and I got to hang out with my celloson. All the while surrounded by wonderful young artists, music in the air everywhere. I sat with my son in Osterlin Mall one evening and we caught up while we listened to Bonnie Rait for free. Another evening, I attended an outstanding concert by Béla Fleck and the string quartet Brooklyn Rider.

A world of caution however. The Stone Hotel is located right on the campus. The service is excellent and friendly, the rooms are clean and well maintained. They are quite spartan and reminiscent of university housing. Don't expect 4 star accommodations. You really only need the room except for sleeping. The programs keep you really busy.

The Interlochen/Traverse City is becoming very well known as a venue for gourmet dining, wineries, and craft brewing.

It was a wonderfully rewarding week and I'm planning on attending next year.

Visited June 2014
2 Thank Cellodad
Overland, Missouri, United States
55 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“Stone lodge ”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

Had a great time seeing a concert here last year and decided to stay on campus for the triathlon this year. It is a smoke /alcohol free campus. It still has many students here during the summer. There are some food vendors in the main area that serve coffee, hamburgers, and ice cream. It's very pretty. The cabins remind me of summer camp. Concrete floors, good beds (very good but we were told one smelled like urine), small showers. There were mini fridges in the rooms. Wifi was poor strength. We did get a mouse in our room - - are through a travel sack into our dog food for the trip then tried to take a shower with me. Not sure we'd stay here again, just not our style.

1 Thank Jennifer C
Amsterdam
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 68 helpful votes
“A Great Resource for Art and Art Lovers”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

The things to see and do here are to vast to describe -- see the web site for all the many programs that are available. We went to a concert featuring Cheryl Crow. The venue was perfect. It is outdoors-great view from all seats, and good sound system.
During the schools year this is a school for the Arts. During the summer it is a summer arts camp. Performances and demonstrations are going on at all times-for all types of artistic endeavors. If you are anywhere nearby, but sure and visit.

Visited June 2014