“Clean and friendly”

American Inn & Suites Ionia
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Ionia
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I stayed here for 3 nights. The front desk staff was friendly and helpful. The room was very clean. They are pet friendly and there is a field next to the hotel to exercise your dog. There is a good restaurant just across the parking lot. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank idabob5426

Reviewed 19 August 2014

Recently returned to Ionia for a class reunion.
Hotels are very limited in Ionia. American Inn is best choice.

The staff was friendly. Generally the hotel and room were clean.

We paid extra for a "whirlpool" room. Not worth the extra $$

The pool area was pleasant as was the outside patio. The whirlpool in the pool area is in need of repair..it was hot but jets were very weak.

Breakfast was just so so. Waffles, hard boiled eggs, baked goods, apples.

The maid service in room was questionable. Although it was obvious the maid had been in our room (clean towels, etc), the bed wasnt made. Strange! My DH did not want me to report it to desk at the time.

Check out Oliveras, the restaurant across the parking lot...it was excellent.

Room Tip: Some rooms were previously smoking rooms. Still have that "odor"
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank mmsoko
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We stayed here while going to the Ionia Free Fair, and it's the perfect location - a two minute walk to the fairgrounds. The hotel itself was decent overall. It's a pretty basic, no frills place, but it's clean with a polite staff and an excellent value for the price. The breakfast was also decent, but nothing extravagant: waffles, cereal, pastries, etc.

I'd compare it to what you'd find at a Super-8 caliber place. But if you like fancy rooms, or pillow-top mattresses, it's not for you. Overall, I'd stay here again.

Room Tip: Tip 1: Stay here if your visiting the fairgrounds, it's right across the street Tip 2: Book...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 August 2014

this was one of the worst hotels i've ever stayed in. Its worst than most motels. A/C did not work and they would not give us another room. Also, the "owner" had my son change a light in the pool. Which was very dangerous since he is only 11. Never will recommend this hotel to my worse enemy!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Josh B
americanmgmt, Manager at American Inn & Suites Ionia, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

I am so sorry to hear of your experience at our property. Please be aware what you experienced is not normal operational procedures. I was made aware of the A/C not working in your room and maintenance was sent to your room immediately. When the A/C was not made operable, it was explained to you. We were unable to transfer your room due to the property being completely booked during your stay. Due to not being able to accommodate this your room was completely refunded.
We do not restrict amount of towels. I'm sorry you felt this was restricted. At any time our guests are encourage to call the front desk for any requests or comments. My apologies for my staff for making you feel restricted and not able to full fill your requests.
I want to assure you any claims and comments reference staff and your stay are being investigated and corrective measures will take place.
Again I would like to apologize for your stay. If you would like to speak further or more in depth please feel free to contact me at your earliest convenience. I would like the opportunity to demonstrate and provide you a hotel experience you deserve the next time your travels bring you to Ionia, Mi.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

The worst hotel I have stayed in ever. The carpet was dirty and buckled up, the towels were torn up and we were limited in the number of towels. The fitted sheets didn't fit and crept up throughout the night, I spent the first hour of my stay looking for the dead animal in my room because the smell was so bad and then realized that was the "normal" smell of the room. The underwater light in our pool was dangling into the water dangerously. The free breakfast was a disaster of frozen bagels and muffins. When I approached the owner who worked the front desk he shrugged his shoulders in an I don't care attitude before walking back outside the front doors to continue to smoke! . I wouldn't send my dog or worst enemy to this hotel

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Tlc6

I would like to apologize for your experience at our hotel. I would also like to apologize for my staff. A guest should never feel they are restricted in amenities ever. We actually encourage our guest to contact the front desk with any requests or comments and require our staff to full fill those requests within our means and to the best. There is never an excuse for the service you received during your stay. Please feel free to contact me at your earliest convenience if you would like to discuss your experience any further. I would like the opportunity to give you the service you deserve.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

The lobby and pool looked very nice. That's where it ended. I read some of the reviews from 2 and 4 years ago and at least in the room we stayed in, nothing has changed. The carpet was buckled, sheets and towels so thin you could almost see through them and the fitted sheet was so worn it crept up during the night. Sink drained agonizingly slow. Soap was extremely thin and felt like pumice stone. Internet was almost non existent and even the computer in the lobby coudn't connect to the internet. When housekeeping cleaned the room they made the bed and that was all. Dirty coffee and water cups were left all over and no clean ones were left. No more coffee or condiments were left either. The facial tissue was enpty and not refilled. There was no plug for the bathtub. When I checked in I asked about a luggage cart and was told they had none. I found one under the stairs by the entrance I used and it was falling apart. The property is right across from the Ionia Free Fair and peope were parking in the lot and walking over there limiting where guests could park.

Room Tip: If you must stay don't stay on the first floor. The noise from the footsteps upstairs we so lou...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank marksw12
Reviewed 11 July 2014

My husband and I have stayed here and are very happy with the establishment. The rooms have all been upgraded with new carpet and furniture. They rooms are very clean and the beds are quite comfortable. The Owner and staff have always treated us with respect and were happy to help if we ever had a issue. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a comfortable place to Stay!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ionia
Super 8 Ionia
Super 8 Ionia
#1 of 2 in Ionia
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Greenville
American Heritage Inn
American Heritage Inn
#1 of 1 in Portland
Union Hill Inn Bed and Breakfast

Been to American Inn & Suites Ionia? Share your experiences!