“Yes And No”
Review of A&W Restaurant

A&W Restaurant
Ranked #13 of 51 Restaurants in Iron Mountain
Reviewed 13 November 2013

This last Summer I thought that I would stop and give the A&W in town a try for the nostalgia of it. It's a seasonal place, so you have to hit them during the tourist seasons on the Summer or you're out of luck until next year. It is,indeed, the old-fashioned drive in place we all remember. There are car-hops and trays to hang on your car window and plenty of traffic coming in and going out all throughout the day. I ordered some fries and a PapaBurger with Nothing on it-just meat and the bun-Plain, and I ordered it with just this language. It took a short while but out came my order and, of course, the PapaBurger came loaded with everything but house paint. I signaled for a car-hop, but they were quite busy, so I just walked it inside myself and set it on the counter. The cook looked at it and scowled and asked what was wrong. I told him that I had ordered my sandwich Plain and this one has everything on it and could I exchange it for one like I needed? His response came as a bit of a surprise. He simply snarled "That's the way they Come!". I told him, yes, I knew this and that is why I ordered mine with Nothing on it. When it became apparent that I had no intention of taking it and leaving, he grabbed it off the counter and without even looking at it, he literally Slammed it as hard as he could pitch down into the garbage can and made up another one(plain this time) slapped it on the counter and walked away with no word other than a scowl. I could do nothing else than take it, walk back to my car, eat(everything was Very good, by the way) and signaled the girl to come take my tray away and I left.
Definitely not the old "All American Food" A&W that I remembered from years ago! I have not stopped there since and do not intend to do so in the future. A shame-another roadside America feature of the land lost and gone now....

Reviewed 22 July 2013

Good food, & great root beer. Always stop there when visiting the area. Visited it when I was a child in the 1960's.

Reviewed 21 July 2013

By necessity, we ate at A&W twice in a couple of days and enjoyed ourselves. Iron Mountain does not exactly offer a lot of variety when it comes to food, but it was great to get a real root beer float in the car. The cheese curds were AMAZING.