“The best night i had in Nova Scotia”
Review of Big Lake Motel

Big Lake Motel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Big Lake
Toronto, Canada
“The best night i had in Nova Scotia”
Reviewed 17 July 2010

I just got back from a small trip arround Nova Scotia, and i have to say that this place was one of my favourite places. At first i wanted to sleep in a hotel near the sea but after seeing this place i just didn't need to look anymore. The view could not be decribed in words, we came on a perfect sunny day and had our dinner on the beautiful deck of the restaurant that was facing the lake, while watching the crazy sunset. The rooms were super clean, the breakfast was very good and most important- there was free internet (for me it was very important, as i had to finish things for work). I really recommend.

• Stayed July 2010
1 Thank marymann

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Upstate SC
Reviewed 10 July 2010

My husband and I stayed here for one night and the owner was very obviously not ready for guests yet. We arrived around 3:00 to check in and found a note on the door saying that someone would be there in a half-hour. Because it was raining and we had been driving since early that morning, we opted to wait in the car. Almost an hour later the owner drove up with apologies, saying that he had to go get supplies for the motel. Because of the weather, we had planned to eat dinner in the advertised motel restaurant but it was not open for the season (nor was the bar). The owner had no suggestions for a good place to eat locally, telling us that the food at the local restaurants was only "passable". His only suggestion: a restaurant in Mahone Bay, about an hour and twenty minutes away. My husband was looking forward to a quiet evening watching TV, until he discovered there were only three channels and the reception was quite poor. I will say, though, that the room was very clean and the bed was comfortable.
We had planned for an early start the next day, but the office didn't open until after 8:00. We didn't have time to eat the advertised breakfast so I can't say what it consisted of. Being early risers, we could have used a cup of coffee while we were waiting for the office to open but there was no coffee maker in the room. All in all, it was a disappointing last night's lodging for us in Nova Scotia.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Raanana
Reviewed 20 April 2010

My wife and me picked the place by a chance. We were passing by and were attracted by the outstanding landscape view and the unique location of this motel. We have booked ourselves for one night but stayed more than a week. Everything was excellent - primarily the hospitality by the owner and his lovely dauther. Breakfasts were great and were served in the lake overlooking homey dinning room or veranda. Rooms were perfectly clean and equipped with all necessities. Walks around were relaxing and peaceful. Peggy's Cove was easily reachable - 15 minutes of driving. We highly recommend the place and will revisit it again.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank guestRaanana
Nova scotia
Reviewed 9 April 2010

I stayed at Big Lake Motel in August 2009 with my girlfriend for 3 nights. We saw a few other places around, but once we got there we just knew that we had to stay. We were welcomed by a young lady who was extremely nice and helpful. Our room was overlooking the clear water of Big Lake. The view was just amazing. I remember sitting on the deck every afternoon, enjoying the beautiful sunset and the wonderful weather. The room was extra clean and shiny, it actually felt like we were the first guests ever in that room. The continental breakfast was also excellent, there was a huge veriaty of food, including really fresh & yummy muffins... We would defenetly go back as soon as possible and we are simply jealous of those of you who are on the way there.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lioneuman
Tennessee
Reviewed 15 March 2010

My wife and I showed up here after 11pm on July 6, 2009. The gentleman running the hotel was most polite and accomodating. He was happy to show us around, even though late. The view overlooking the lake, well, pictures don't even do it justice as we have told friends back home in Tennessee. You have to see it, the whole landscape to believe it. Magnificient. The hotel, the rooms are immaculate. My wife is from Thailand, she and I have traveled many places (exotic) in the world between Nova Scotia and there. Let's say we are well traveled travelers. For the money, and nothing to do with money, I really haven't seen any hotel cleaner, more tastefully decorated, cozy, and just all out a super place to stay. Add the decor, hot water, new furniture, new bed linens and quilts, the absolute politeness and the always smiling staff, cleanliness, and surrounding scenery, you just can't beat this place. I understand alot of people want the "ocean view". You can get that anywhere in the world, and we love it too. However, treat yourself to a one of a kind spot, of the hundreds of motels/hotels I have lodged in worldwide, this is a most unique view. The area is very quiet, smells of the sea and alpine trees, we walked at sunrise, and we were moved at the astounding natural beauty. Really, words can't describe the utter natural beauty and super deal when we drove upon this hotel. And, we will be back, to this exact spot hopefully this year, and if not we will make it the next. Let me say in closing, my wife absolutely loved place, and even said she wanted to go back there. And she is not easily impressed about hotels, but loved this one. >>>Jeffntn@yahoo.com

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
#23 of 28 in Halifax
Clifty Cove Motel
Clifty Cove Motel
#1 of 1 in Indian Harbour

Been to Big Lake Motel? Share your experiences!