“Amazing place to call,"Home away from home."”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Stuart Avenue Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kalamazoo
Stuart Avenue Inn
Ranked #2 of 6 Kalamazoo B&B and Inns
Northfield
“Amazing place to call,"Home away from home."”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2013

After staying at the inn several times, I have to highly recommend a visit. Chris and Dana do absolutely everything in their power to insure a great visit. We even celebrated my daughter's graduation on the grounds in the beautiful garden. Chris and Dana set up our event, made us coffee, helped us clean up , and, helped us to celebrate Cassandra's milestone. My small family included two wonderful friends in Chris and Dana. Even though they had a full house, make your reservations early, they made time to join in our celebration. I put on a dinner for 8 because I had all that I needed to pull off the dinner. The beds are comfy, the rooms are very clean, everything works and the grounds are beautiful. This inn feels like home. Dana and Chris are superior cooks and breakfast is a treat. Belvadere is a gem of a pooch.
Give yourself a treat and stay at this wonderful inn in Kalamazoo.

Room Tip: All of the rooms provide a different feel and character. I have stayed in 4 and enjoyed all of them...
1 Thank ShannonKaczor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Traverse City, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2013

Easy to find, great location and very comfortable rooms. Dane and Chris are so friendly, but not as friendly as their ace dawg Belvedere. Scrumptious breakfasts too. The B&B has about 9 rooms? Parking is easy, off street. Lovely park-like grounds.

2 Thank John M
Pensacola, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2013

I want to start by saying that like Anderson Cooper, I don't usually like B&B's because it's like visiting your mother, but you don't know your mother (Anderson's description). This place is decidedly different. We stayed in the Gardener's Quarters, which seem to be part of the old carriage house. We had everything we could have wanted, including a partial kitchen, comfortable bed, homemade soap (I am guessing that Dana herself makes it...), and separation from strangers....and a totally customized, homemade from scratch hot breakfast. The pastry was so good, that I asked Dana what it was called, thinking that she wouldn't want to give out the recipe, but she is not that kind of girl. She said, "Oh, I'll email it to you," and was as good as her word (making it this weekend...OMG!) The best part of the inn are the gardens. They have an oasis of beautiful landscaping in the middle of Kalamazoo. This young organic couple are working hard to restore this beautiful mansion, and making the best of their grounds and garden. There is work to be done, but this young couple will get it there. We will definitely stay here again when we are back in town. For the price it was very lovely.

3 Thank LNunn
Kalamazoo, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2013

The Stuart Avenue Inn was the quaint rendezvous for us away from our Portage home. We loved the rooms and the beautiful wood work and vintage wall paper etc. The morning was a sunny yet snowy morning with a delicious breakfast. We think this place would be a great venue for a local bride and her family to host a wedding. Gorgeous gardens and plenty of room for an outdoor party.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Nancy A
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2013

I spent four years in Kalamazoo so my family and I have had many opportunities to experiment with accommodation options in the city but we have always chosen the Stuart Avenue Inn and will continue to do so! Our experiences at the Inn have always been perfection.

I have stayed in, and seen, many of the rooms. They are each unique, beautifully furnished with gorgeous furniture and divine little trinkets. Each room I have stayed in has also had an excellent selection of quality reading materials (magazines, novels, non-fiction, poetry). The common areas of the house are breathtaking, the layout of the house and the way the owners - Chris and Dana - have decorated it creates a very romantic and calming atmosphere.

Conversations with Dana and Chris are always a special part of the trip. They create an experience that allows you to feel cared for in a personal way but also offers you privacy. They always remember details of our conversations during previous trips and are sure to ask thoughtful, follow-up questions. It's very impressive! I would encourage anyone interested in whether the Inn could meet a particular need or preference to contact them via email.

The breakfast is just luxurious, it takes place in a gorgeous room with big windows and a high ceiling and the food is delicious.They always have breakfast staples and also serve a variety of other creative breakfast dishes. Each time, there has been something new. They have also been ready and willing to accomodate dietary preferences or restrictions.

Brief highlights of my most recent visit include: the intricate white lace curtains and antiques in my bedroom, cheesy polenta and eggs made-to-order in the morning, a luxuriously soft bath mat in my bathroom and watching the snow fall from the large windows in the breakfast room.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank Paloma C
Thornwood, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2013

Why I will always choose local independent over Hotel Chain: Genuinely warm greeting from Innkeepers; comfortable room with character including wide selection of reading materials fiction, local authors, local guides, local magazine of poetry, and collection of local articles on restaurants and attractions collected by the Innkeepers; truly homemade breakfast of light fluffy eggs, fresh fruit, homemade yogurt, and something I never would have ordered but loved - chocolate stout bread pudding. And finally – when the taxi cab didn’t show up – an Innkeeper who without hesitation or argument drove us to a memorial service despite heavy snow and slippery roads – and never charged us. You can’t find this kind of experience at a chain hotel no matter how much warm and fuzzy advertising you see.

Room Tip: Bartlett Room is Room number 1 for a reason. Quite, and toasty on a wintery weekend.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank s_pinto71963
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2012

Our extended family (22 folks!) decided to get together between Christmas and Thanksgiving this year for one low-stress holiday party. I chose Stuart Avenue Inn sight unseen by the quality of reviews on the web and Chris and Dana's helpful responses to my emails.

I could not have been more delighted with our time there.

The house is warm and inviting, with spacious rooms and interesting spaces. The food is absolutely delicious, elegant and refined without being stuffy. Chris and Dana were fantastic hosts, fun and funny. They put up with our little Christmas traditions and were always very attentive. When I tripped and hurt my ankle, they went above and beyond to help out.

There was plenty of space for the kids to play and have fun, both inside and out. The adults also had plenty of places to relax, and we played games and talked and drank in the very comfortable sitting room spaces downstairs.

We're already talking about booking next year! I'm so very glad we found this place, it was an absolute pleasure to stay.

Room Tip: The Friends and Family suite has a ton of character, including a couple of cute little spaces for a...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family