“Amazing Inn, Great Hosts”

Kalamazoo House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 5 Kalamazoo B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 July 2009

Even though much of Kalamazoo was closed for the 4th of July, we had a wonderful time, mostly to the credit of our amazing hosts. The breakfast and happy hours were fantastic and our room cozy and inviting (although next time we might spring for the one of the rooms with the huge jacuzzis). Great people, great value and a fun city.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 1 July 2009

Stayed here for a friend's wedding because Radisson booked up. Ended up being wonderful value. Bed was SO comfortable and breakfast was delicious. We will definitely come here again. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 June 2009

I was here on business and as I often do, picked a place that was convenient to my travels. However, I am looking forward to the opportunity to spend a few leisure days here. From the moment of our arrival I felt very welcome by our host. The complimentary wine and fresh flowers in our room not to mention a plate of freshly baked chocolate cookies just for us, paled next to the smiles and genuine friendliness we were welcomed with. Our very spacious and clean room looked out over a glorious Dale Chihuly chandelier in the art museum right next door and our choices of dining were fabulous and within walking distance. Breakfast was promptly ready when we needed it allowing me to leave with time to spare for my conference. Excellent choice if you are looking.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 June 2009

This is a wonderful B&B. Laurel and Terry are great people - very friendly and attentive to your needs. The house is a classic Victorian with great charm. The bed was very comfortable, and the breakfast each morning was fantastic. Since it is in downtown Kalamazoo - it is within walking distance of many restaurants (and even Pfizer). The down side of being downtown is that you hear some of the city noises in the morning, so don't plan on sleeping too late.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 June 2009

The Kalamazoo House and its owners could not have been better. I stayed there with friends celebrating a college graduation, and the hosts went out of their way to be gracious and accommodating. The food was excellent, the room was lovely, and relaxing and visiting on the beautiful front porch was a treat.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 May 2009

Recently I had the pleasure of spending a night at the Kalamazoo House Bed and Breakfast in downtown Kalamazoo. My fiance and I wanted to treat ourselves and get away as we hadn't managed to do so in a long while.

I can't say enough good things about this place! It's a beautifully restored, historic mansion just next door to the Kalamazoo Institute for the Arts and the couple who run it are as personable and friendly as they come. We were given a short tour of the house, were told something of it's history and then shown to our room, which was huge and lavishly furnished.

Before leaving us to unpack, Laural invited us down for a glass of wine after we settled in. We chatted with Laural and her husband Terry over a glass of wine and I must say that normally, I'm a little leery of trying to make conversation but our hosts were very friendly and obviously proud of their establishment and I felt so relaxed that we must have talked for an hour before heading out to dinner at the near by, Epic Bistro.
The weather was a bit chilly so we drove but I remember remarking that if it had been warmer it would have been a nice walk to the restaurant. It can't be more than a five to ten minute walk to anywhere in the downtown district.

We went to bed when we got back and I haven't slept that well away from my own bed since I was a kid! In the morning, Laural had left a cup of coffee and a scone outside of our room because I'd mentioned that I wasn't at all a morning person and couldn't think straight before I'd had a cup. It was really very sweet of her to do that.

Breakfast was the real treat of the stay. I had Laural's signature "Banana Nut French Toast" and a finer meal I've never had during a hotel experience. It actually tasted so much like "Bananas Foster" that I asked her if she used Brandy in the recipe. She doesn't but that was as much as I could get out of her concerning how it was made.
Apparently it's a closely guarded "Trade Secret" so I didn't press her.

Over all I was impressed with the cleanliness of Kalamazoo House. I've been to a few B&Bs and if its an older house, you come to expect a modicum of disrepair here and there and it's always a little dusty. Such is the nature of old houses and this has never bothered me. Kalamazoo House, however was very clean and well kept and it makes a difference.

I highly recommend The Kalamazoo House Bed and Breakfast to anyone who wants to relax and get away for a while. This is what a bed and breakfast is supposed to be.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 May 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Kalamazoo House B&B over Memorial day weekend. We wanted to check out some local breweries and visit nearby Holland, MI. It was simply wonderful! The website and reservation pages were easy to navigate, which was helpful. Once we arrived we were met by the owner/operators and given a tour and history of the home. We were then shown into our gorgeous room! I have stayed at a few B&B's, but this one was exceptional! Fresh flowers, chocolates, toiletries and plush robes were waiting for us and we didn't even pay for an extra "package" like at many other inns to get these perks, they were just included! I had some dietary concerns and they were more than gracious about them. Breakfast was amazing and the setting was beautiful. I would stay here again in a minute!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple