“Renovations fell short and definitely not a plus.”

Best Western Plus Kalamazoo Suites
Ranked #7 of 31 Hotels in Kalamazoo
GreenLeadersBronze level
United States
“Renovations fell short and definitely not a plus.”
Reviewed 10 August 2011

Booked a two bed suite. The hallway was bright with a nice carpet but when I opened The room, I regretted that I booked this place.

I wanted to take advantage of their stay three separate locations stays get a free night so I opted to stay at BW. The rooms were kinda renovated and I can't imagine what it was before. They have new beds and sofa bed and window covering but they should have fully renovated the bathroom, carpet, lighting and the small things that would have made a difference.

Let's see, the toilet had black stains, the faucet handle was broken, the bathtub looked stained, the bathtub plug was off, the walls were dirty, there was holes in the sheets, dark room and limited lighting and the towels were grey! I thought that maybe we just got a bad set so we asked for extra towels but they were the same except for one! I thought maybe it the lighting but the facecloth were white. I've been in motels that have thin white towels before which I was okay but having grey towels just doesn't sit well with me.

I was so disappointed at myself that I didn't do my due diligence in finding a decent place to stay for my family. We didn't even bother with the breakfast the next day.

The mattress was decent and it was actually new, saw the mattress peaking out on the side.

Also had dinner at a place called Rustica in downtown Kalamazoo which had great food. Also noticed a Staybridge closely. Should have stayed there instead.

• Stayed August 2011

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Mishawaka, Indiana
Reviewed 4 August 2011

We stayed here for 3 nights while visiting area attractions. The staff was very courteous and helpful. We had a minor problem with a chair in the room, which I reported to the front desk in person. Before I could get back to our room (4th floor), the maintenance man was already there waiting. He was able to fix it withing about 5 minutes and returned it to the room. I have never had that fast of service at any hotel for a maintenance need! Our room was very spacious, clean and well appointed. Housekeeping did a wonderful job each day of our stay and in a timely manner. The hotel is in a quiet, safe area. Plenty of restaurants nearby and easy access to the major highways. Breakfast was plentiful with the typical waffle, sausage, danish, cereal, etc. Common areas kept very clean at all times. The only flaw that I could find to mention was the elevator. It is quite noisy, but operates just fine. Just a little scary the first time until you realize that it makes the same sound each time when passing the second floor and other points. Also, ice machines not on every floor. I would definitely stay here again when in the area. We booked this online and received a great 3 night discounted rate.

Room Tip: Look for discounted online rates through hotel website.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Douglas, Wyoming
Reviewed 20 June 2011

We arrived late on a Wednesday night with our dogs in tow for the big Premier dog show in town. The lady at the front desk was so nice and accomodating to us and she made check in a pleasure. The room was spotless and it was HUGE! The beds were oh so comfortable and the temperature control worked like a charm. I wanted to take those comforters and pillows home with me!

The staff was always very nice and friendly to us and our dogs throughout our whole stay.

We made for certain we didn't have barking dogs, and I am disappointed that others did not have the same curtesy! I did witness a staff member politely asking someone across the hall from us to keep their dogs quiet and I was extremely impressed with their professional attitude and tone.

This isn't the cheapest hotel in town and for good reason - you pay a little extra for quality and great service! We WILL be back to this hotel in the future! Thank you for making our stay so pleasant!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
Cromwell, Connecticut
Reviewed 6 June 2011

Stayed here for three nights when my original hotel had lost power. Rooms were very nicely sized, bed was comfy, lots of noise in the halls one of the three weeknnights I stayed there. Breakfast was not special, I ate out all three days. The desk staff was extremely friendly and helpful with the exception of one employee.

The room wasn't cleaned as well as I'd have liked, with the same long black hairs in the shower three days running. The same spill in the kitchette area didn't get cleaned either.

All and all, I wouldn't have even been in Michigan except for work, and hopefully won't be going back anytime soon. But if I HAD to stay in the K-zoo area and needed a place to stay, this is one of the better ones there, judging by the few I checked out.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 May 2011

We stayed here on May 8th - what a great hotel. The room was massive. I have booked suites that weren't as big as this room. It was renovated, gorgeous, clean, spacious. The lobby was really nice. After sleeping in 3 hotels in 3 days, this was the first one that actually had a decent mattress & pillow.

We arrived at the time the pool was supposed to close, and the front desk staff said they would keep it open so our kids could have a swim, which was very much appreciated after 10 long hours in a car.

Breakfast was good - lots of assortment, some healthy options, although they could stock more multigrain and less white bread. Does anyone actually eat white bread anymore? My kids loved the waffle maker. Coffee wasn't great, although not the worst of the weekend.

The only complaint we could have was the pool smelled really strong of chlorine, but I guess it is hard to keep it regulated in a public pool. Nothing a thorough shower after the swim can't fix, but still a little unpleasant.

The location is off the beaten path if you are travelling through Kalamazoo on the highway - not right on the highway like I thought it would be. However, still only a 5 minute drive from the highway and WELL worth it.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 3 May 2011

my large room was the best part. Comfy, clean, and large enough to move around in without hitting the wall on either side of the bed. nice kitchen sink, fridge, counter space---included in the regular room at a low price. Bathroom was small, but I didn't care about that. Didn't use the pool. Breakfast had enough seats for everyone-and I didn't feel rushed.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Mansfield, Ohio
Reviewed 26 April 2011

In writing this review it is my intention to advise and inform the mobility challenged traveler.

My overall experience at the Best Western Kalamazoo was "The room was clean and spacious but challenging to the limited mobility traveler." I reserved the handicapped room. When I arrived, check in was routine, but getting to the room was tiring. The room was about as far from the handicapped parking as possible – through the lobby, up the elevator, down the entire distance of the hallway to the "accessible" room. The carpet throughout the hotel was soft with thick padding, nice to walk on, but like riding a bicycle in the sand to a manual wheelchair user like me. The door to my room was quite heavy and hard to get through by myself. Once in the doorway, the automatic closer made the door push against my wheelchair.

Once I was able to get into the room, there was good space to move around the bed and the kitchenette area was reasonably accessible. The bed was attached to a pedestal and there was no space under the bed, so if you need to use a conventional hoist it would prove tough.

Probably the least useable feature of the room for me was the shower. It was an adapted standard tub and shower (see picture). The tub was about 15 - 16" high and there was a fold down wood bench at the back. Transferring from my 23" high chair would have been daunting, even with help, so I just took a sponge bath instead. Had I been able to get in the shower, I don't know how I would have done from there, because the shower head was fixed to the wall and the water didn't quite reach the bench. A hand-held and/or moveable shower head is needed. For better accessibility, they could have had a roll-in type shower. At least there were grab bars on all three walls in the shower and one next to the commode.

I hope this information helps you to enjoy your travels.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo