“Large, Smelly, Poorly Remodeled Rooms”

Best Western Plus Kalamazoo Suites
Ranked #5 of 32 Hotels in Kalamazoo
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 20 December 2011

Our experience didn’t start out well when we had to wait over 10 minutes for someone to show up at the front desk so we could check in. The check in went quickly enough but a simple apology for the wait would’ve been nice.

The hotel has been partially remodeled but like usual when you remodel half of something the other half looks even worse. The furnishings were in general nice but the walls, doors, etc. were very beat up. The hotel had taken the effort to paint over most of the large cracks and other damage to the walls but they didn’t actually patch up the damage itself so it still looked bad. The room was indeed very large which was nice although a couch or some other furniture to actually fill up all that space would be nice. The hallways reeked of smoke (despite the hotel now being non-smoking) as did my room, although the smoke smell in my room was typically overpowered by the urine smell. It smelled like cat urine which I suppose is better than the alternative.

My traveling companion was disturbed enough by the hotel that he wanted to eat breakfast out instead of trusting their breakfast but I said it’d be fine. While I didn’t fear for my health it was another bad experience with both the waffle batter dispenser and the juice dispenser being broken. What bothered me most was that there was no effort to make up for this; they just put an out of order sign on the juice dispenser. There is no reason they couldn’t have put out some pitchers of juice instead.

The other hotels in Kalamazoo I’ve stayed at are the Radisson (overpriced but great location) and the Clarion (not perfect but a heck of a lot better than this place for a similar price). I don’t stay at Best Westerns often and given this experience that’s not likely to change.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank ScubaBucky

Reviewed 28 November 2011

Exterior is clean, inside the hotel is clean, suite was clean EXCEPT I notice some dry blood stains on the pillow. I tried to call the front desk nobody answers. Since we were just on the first floor I decided to walk to the front desk. There were two people there...they told me they did not hear anything...guess the phone is out of order. I told them that there are blood stains on the pillow. The man said "You need new pillows?" I said, "of course. would you use it?". No apologies or anything -- he just gave me a new pillow. i would have been forgiving had they just apologized. I am more upset with the staff than the blood stains. I wrote to the management but I wonder if they got it. I did not receive any reply.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 November 2011

Hotel was clean, room was just as clean. Staff was nice and the location off US131 was easy on/off. Breakfast was always stocked and the staff was very polite.

Room Tip: shop online for deal. People in front of me paid $25 more for the same room.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 November 2011

I recently stayed at this Best Western when meeting up with friends in Kalamazoo and had a great stay. The rooms were humongous and had a refrigerator and microwave which was very convenient. The hotel was clean and the staff was very helpful in assisting me on getting around town. Breakfast was ok for a hotel, but have had better. It was a very comfortable stay for the weekend and would definitely go back.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank bskylis
Reviewed 2 November 2011

I always stay at Best Western hotels when I travel and have always been pleased, this one was no exception. Nice place, clean rooms, exceptionally friendly and helpful staff, and a convenient location all made for a very pleasant stay. I would recommend it to anyone staying in Kalamazoo.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 October 2011

Our family of five normally stays at Holiday Inns. For this past weekend's (October 22 and 23) trip to Kalamazoo, we decided to give this Best Western property a try (The hotel's website - advertising a completely renovated facility - sounded so promising). I write this review so others aren't fooled as my family was. Parts of the hotel were, indeed, renovated but very shoddily and cheaply so: Uneven tiles, falling wallpaper, slapped-on paint. This would not have been such a big deal were the "unrenovated" sections of the hotel so abyssmal (Chipping paint, missing ceiling tiles, rusty door frames and fixtures). The "old" facility must have been a complete wreck!

Additionally, all parts of the hotel - renovated or not - were just downright dirty. There were flies on the windowsills and stains on the carpet, The tiling in our room was sticky, there was mold in corners of the bathroom, and a scummy haze covered everything: Bathroom and kitchen fixtures, refrigerator, countertops; it was as if everything had been wiped down with a very dirty rag.

So too is abyssmal a word I would use to describe the hotel's customer service. Here's an example: While waiting in line for the sofa sleeper's bedding (Bedding that a top-notch facility would have provided in the room in the first place), I overheard the following conversation between the guest in front of me and the receptionist on duty:

Guest: May we have a new room, please? Our toilet is not working.
Receptionist: What's wrong with it?
Guest: It won't flush and has overflowed all over the bathroom.
Receptionist: We're sold out tonight.
Guest: What am I supposed to do?
Receptionist: I can give you a plunger.

(Later, I commiserated with this particular guest in the stairwell; she indicated that they went out, themselves, to buy a plunger - not wanting to be handed a dirty plunger across a hotel front desk).

Finally, the complimentary breakfast was completely second-rate (Even my not-so-discriminating children compared it very unfavorably to the Holiday Inn's breakfast). In fact, the breakfast experience was so bad it was almost comical. While there was a waffle iron, there was no spray. Thus, guests were left scraping the remnants of burned waffles out of the iron. The stacked styrofoam coffee cups were totally stuck together: I watched person after person struggling to remove one cup from the stack - while the breakfast attendant on duty did nothing to help.

There are several other hotels in close proximity to the Best Western - many with suites (In fact, the Holiday Inn is right next door). Were I to visit Kalamazoo again, I would choose any of these hotels and stay away - far away - from this place!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank MCSEZ
Reviewed 10 October 2011

Pros:
-Large rooms
-Refrigerator and microwave included
-Location to Western Michigan University and local restaurants and bars
-Breakfast included

Cons:
-Poor service and slow to no response by hotel staff and management
-No maintenance on weekends
-Small bathroom with no ledge/shelf in shower to hold soap, shampoo, etc.
-Extremely slow elevators (only 4 floors)
-Dirty and broken amenities in room and lobby
-Outdated furnishings

Reported a broken toilet in our room which hotel staff failed to fix (was told maintenance doesn't work on the weekends). The manager was contacted by the front desk clerk, but instead of fixing the immediate problem, they only offered to take $20 off of our night's stay.

The hotel was extremely short staffed and unprofessional. Regardless of numerous attempts to get our toilet fixed, we were left to use the hotel lobby restroom fo r the duration of our stay.

Would NOTrecommend this hotel.

Room Tip: For location and a simple, functioning room we prefer the Comfort Inn on Stadium Drive/West Michigan...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends