“Clean and at a great price”

Best Western Plus Kalamazoo Suites
Ranked #7 of 31 Hotels in Kalamazoo
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 1 October 2012

My wife and I spent the weekend here while in town visiting friends and I'd have no problem staying here again when in the area. Actually, I realized while talking to the front desk staff while checking out that this wasn't our first stay either as it used to be a Hawthorne Suites and we had stayed here for a youth hockey tournament many years ago. Anyway, this review is about this visit.

Check in and check out were very fast with none of the billing issues others have experienced.
Our room (210) had a king size bed with a whirlpool tub and we got it for less than $90 per night after our AAA discount . We found the room very clean and well appointed. The bed was comfortable but the pillows a little hard for our taste. The view out the window was of an exterior wall but for the value we got I could live with it. The hot water was plentiful and consistant but do be warned to watch small children because it was very hot when not blended. Some minor wear and tear issues were noticed if I looked hard for them. Most were in the bathroom area and most could be solved with a higher volume exhaust fan and some paint. Again, cleanliness was not a problem and I really liked the bathroom floor tile work.

The pool area was small but nice and quiet when I used it. Would like to see the pool hours expanded a bit. Arriving after 9:00pm and the pool closing at 10:00 was disappointing after several hours on the road. Breakfast was tasty for hotel food with a good variety.

The location was very convienent for getting on or off 131 or getting around the K-zoo area. There are several restaurants within 2-3 miles on Stadium Dr. The area around this property was also very quiet and felt safe.

Overall, I was very happy with our "bang for the buck" and I have no problem recommending this a good place to stay.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
StevenHatto, Manager at Best Western Plus Kalamazoo Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2012

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review, we appreciate your comments. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and hope that you found the renovations and upgrades from the previous hotel pleasant. I am happy the location was convenient for your travels and we look forward to seeing you again in the future. We will always have a clean, comfortable room, at a reasonable price waiting for you, and will make sure you always receive the most "Bang for your Buck."

Thank you again for your business.

The entire BEST WESTERN PLUS Kalamazoo Suites Staff

Reviewed 17 September 2012

Check your credit card or debit card carefully. This hotel has a reputation for overcharging. I stayed there September 13-16th and I provided a $50.00 gift card at check in. They billed my credit card for the full amount of my room and they did not credit me for the gift card. Called hotel. Manager Steve was to call me back. No reply. Our friends that stayed with us the same weekend, their debit card was charged at the time of reservation and again when they arrived. I made one reservation and they had me down for two. I showed my confirmation form and they then decided that perhaps they could have made the mistake somehow. Our friends were told they made one reservation on the hotel website and another on expedia.

When I complained about the cleanliness of the hotel, I was informed that they only do deep cleaning once every four months and they have had a busy season so they have not gotten around to it. Cob webs hanging from the ceiling and drapes in the dining room. Out of eight rooms, three complained of drains that would not drain.

They do allow dogs in this hotel, but they cannot do anything about a resident that leaves their dog in the room and barks constantly until the owner returns. Dogs are usually on first floor, so request a 3rd or 4th floor room.

The only elevator is very S L O W and makes a groaning noise every trip. Hotel staff just laughs when you question them about it.

Their common response is "I'm sorry you feel that way." Well I am sorry you overcharged me and you just lost 8 bookings for next year. Management does not care enough to return a phone call.

Room Tip: Any room ending in 08 is the broom closet. This room is next to the elevator and you loose the amou...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends

Thank you for your response, I am sorry to hear about the confusion and lack of proper communication you experienced on your bill. I can assure you that billing accuracy is very important for the hotel and our guests, and that we rarely experience billing issues and do not have a reputation for overcharging.

I was able to confirm that the $50.00 gift card was applied to your stay. For all guests checking in at the hotel, there is an authorization automatically processed for the entire estimated charges of the stay to the credit card given for the reservation. The credit was applied for the gift card and taken off of the total bill, and the remaining balance was charged to the credit card on file and the balance of $50.00 was applied back to the card. Any adjustments to initial authorizations on room charges take 3-5 business days to process due to bank procedures, and I apologize for you having to wait to receive this credit.

I wanted to let you know that we have also recently had the elevator serviced and appreciate your comments. Although the manufacture cannot increase the speed past safety limits, they were able to decrease the operating sound of the elevator with additional lubrication and service. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

We hope to see you again in the future, and appreciate you taking the time to leave a review of the property.

The entire BEST WESTERN PLUS Kalamazoo Suites Staff.

Reviewed 19 August 2012

We were on our way from Wisconsin Dells to Toronto. We arrived without a reservation. Very friendly front desk got us a great room at a good rate. $109.99 taxes in.
Room was very large two queen beds, fridge and wet bar. Beds were very comfortable.
Pool area needed some loving, but we wouldn't let that stop is from staying here again.

• Stayed: August 2012

Thank you for your kind comments on your Great stay. We are glad to hear that you found the staff accommodating, and the rooms comfortable. I hope that you enjoyed your trip to Toronto, and we see you again on your next stop in Kalamazoo.

Thanks again for your business.

The entire BEST WESTERN PLUS Kalamazoo Suites Staff

Reviewed 16 August 2012

I had good memories of staying at this hotel two times last year, so I didn't hesitate to book it again this time. It turns out my memory was only slightly off. Our biggest disappointment was the light (or lack thereof). It was VERY dark in the room. We could've used at least two more lamps, but we didn't make a federal case out of it. We just took the lamp shades off the lamps that WERE available and that gave us a little more light. The second issue was that I could swear I booked a room with a queen-size bed, and the bed we got was definitely only a full-size. But again, to us, it wasn't worth complaining about. I will use this hotel again the next time I'm in Kalamazoo.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on our hotel, we appreciate your comments.

We are glad to hear that you have stayed at our hotel several times, and have enjoyed your experiences. All of the rooms at our hotel offer Queen or King Size beds in the room, and we do not have anything smaller, so I am confused about your comments on the Full Size bed. Next time you are traveling to Kalamazoo please call and ask for me directly so we can look into this better. I will also be happy to give you a complimentary upgrade to a King Size Suite for your next stay.

Thanks again for taking the time to leave a review, and your continued business and loyalty to our hotel.

Steven

Reviewed 7 August 2012

We stayed here enroute to Chicago. The rooms are nice and big for two adults and two young kids. Free breakfast is more generous than most, but not gourmet. WiFi is free and overall, the hotel is fairly good (however it was built only a few years ago). Two gripes: the pool and hot tub could have been a little cleaner and our room sheets had dried blood (or red nail polish) on them. The location is very quiet despite the fact that it’s near a freeway.

Room Tip: Check those sheets.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 July 2012

In town for wedding looks like lawn has not been kept up .the room was larger but can definetly use some updating,paint. Loud all hours walls way to thin got early check in that was a bonus good deal I guess compared with others in area during time I was searching. As a travel advisor I should have read first guess with hotels.com I'm stuck with my commitment.

Room Tip: Don't get kids over you
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank lizzypooh
Reviewed 20 June 2012

"The dirty tub was not the only thing wrong with this hotel room. If Icould download the pictures from my phone you would be appauled. We arrived late and really just wanted to sleep after a long drive. Of course we checked the bed by pulling the covers back and at the time we didn't see anything and my daughter and I along with my 6 year old grandson fell asleep.Having to awake early to get my 18 yr old grandson and his friend to University orientation (who had a separate room) I go into the bathroom and pull back the shower curtain to find the "dirty tub" at 6:30 am I call front desk only to be told that I have to wait until housekeeping comes in at 9:00 am. "Seriously"? I think not I told the man that what he was asking was virtually impossible and he needed to come with cleaning supplies in hand to clean the "dirty tub". He came after a secon phone call cna you beleive it ? It took him 20 minutes and I timed him to try and clean the tub I was still a mess. I took my clorox wipes and lysol and did what I could. As we were getting dressed my 6 year old grandson says why is an ant crawling on the bed my daughter and I both screamed get away from it and we investigated and saw a very tiny red something crawling on the sheets of the double bed that they slept in that was the last straw. No one should every stay at this hotel. Not enough time to tell it all. We found refuge at the Comfort Inn, nice and cheaper.

Room Tip: Nothing good to say so I will say nothing at all
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business