“Best choice for short stays in Kalamazoo”

Best Western Plus Kalamazoo Suites
Ranked #6 of 31 Hotels in Kalamazoo
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 20 November 2012

We are more Hampton-Inn types, but when driving to Chicago or even visiting our alma mater, this hotel is the top choice. It's an incredible value, and the kids love the breakfast buffet and pool, where the staff doesn't hover over the kids and yell at them for going in the hot tub. It's easy to get to from the highway but set in a quiet street, and the colleges are close. The suite rooms are very nice. The staff is great. We paid $100, which is incredible for a good room that includes breakfast. Highly recommend.

Room Tip: book a suite
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
StevenHatto, Manager at Best Western Plus Kalamazoo Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2013

Thank you so much for your comments!

We appreciate you taking your time to review our property, and are glad to hear how much your family enjoyed our hotel. Be sure to mention the WMU Discount on your future stays, as this is always offered for students, family, and graduates. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our pool and hot-tub, and I wanted to let you know that we also just refinished these, I am sure you will enjoy the new appearance and feel.

Take Care,

-Steven

Reviewed 15 November 2012

This suite facility looked better on the outside than it was on the inside, although a large tub sitting ontop of a patio table with dozens of cigarette butts is not a good way to greet guests. Over the past 15 years we always selected BW's, but after a few bad experiences tended to go elsewhere most recently. But when we learned that BW had begun rating their hotels with three levels we were anxious to experience this facility since it is one of their top-rated. We were disappointed! This facility was either built cheaply, or it had a very poor remodeling. First thing we noticed was that the floors were not level and creaked terribly. In addition the noise from the equally creaky floors above was disturbing. Fortunately there were no kids above us! The bathroom remodel was sloppy at best with a messy paint job and over-use of caulking to "resolve" maintenance problems. The redo of the bathroom floor was equally sloppy, obviously done by someone who didn't know what they were doing when laying tile. Center section of the suite was large with sofa but it didn't even have lighting if you wanted to relax and read. In addition the carpeting appeared in need of a cleaning and the mattress could only be described as lumpy. We looked forward to staying at a PLUS location but found it to be nothing more than a poorly contructed shell which has experienced a terrible face-lift. We were with a group of about 15 others and the comments from others while at breakfast sounded very similar to what we were thinking. We won't be returning.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 November 2012

The room was big and clean but the pool and hot tub were dirty. We were visiting our daughter at K-Zoo for the weekend. The location is about a 10 min. drive away, not too bad. When we checked in, nobody was at the front desk and waited for about 10 minutes until someone finally came to the desk. Other people were waiting behind me. I was not aware that breakfast was included, what a treat. There were many options: bagels, cereal, muffins, waffles, bacon, eggs, etc.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family

Thanks for your comments,

We appreciate you taking your time to let us know what you liked about our property, as well as where we can improve. I would like to apologize on behalf of the staff for your wait at check-in. Although we do have 24 hour staff at the hotel front desk, unfortunately they do get called away from the desk at times, but I understand your frustration in waiting. I wanted to also let you know that during the month of December, we cleaned, repaired, resurfaced, and pained our pool and hot tub, and I am sure you would be happy with the results. I am glad to hear that you were pleasantly surprised by the complimentary breakfast, which is offered free of charge every day of the year.

We would love to see you again during your next stay in Kalamazoo, please feel free to contact me directly if you are in need of any assistance in making reservations.

Regards,

Steven

Reviewed 29 October 2012

I spend a lot of nights in hotels every year. It is always a pleasure to find one that I think of as "home". The building itself is set in a nice, quiet, woodsy area

This is a first class hotel set in a nice, quiet, woodsy area From the pleasant desk staff to the comfort of the rooms, it is a nicely run and maintained place. I have stayed in several different style rooms (king suite w/jacuzzi, king suite, and queen w/jacuzzi) and each one was clean, cozy and comfy.

Breakfast in the morning is served in their common area. The usual hotel breakfast fare, but well done.

For the business traveler, their free wifi is fast and very solid.

Like I said, this is one of my favorite places anywhere to stay. This would be a place I would choose for business or a getaway.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
StevenHatto, Manager at Best Western Plus Kalamazoo Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2012

Thank you very much for choosing the BEST WESTERN PLUS Kalamazoo Suites! We truly appreciate your kind comments, and continued business during your travels to the area. Thank you for your comments on the cleanliness of the rooms, we understand how important it is to receive a comfortable and clean room while away from home. I am also glad to hear that the internet has worked out well for you. Today's traveler needs to have quality internet connections at all times, and we will continue to offer the fastest speeds offered by our provider.

Thanks you again for your business,

The entire BEST WESTERN PLUS Kalamazoo Suites Staff.

Reviewed 1 October 2012

My wife and I spent the weekend here while in town visiting friends and I'd have no problem staying here again when in the area. Actually, I realized while talking to the front desk staff while checking out that this wasn't our first stay either as it used to be a Hawthorne Suites and we had stayed here for a youth hockey tournament many years ago. Anyway, this review is about this visit.

Check in and check out were very fast with none of the billing issues others have experienced.
Our room (210) had a king size bed with a whirlpool tub and we got it for less than $90 per night after our AAA discount . We found the room very clean and well appointed. The bed was comfortable but the pillows a little hard for our taste. The view out the window was of an exterior wall but for the value we got I could live with it. The hot water was plentiful and consistant but do be warned to watch small children because it was very hot when not blended. Some minor wear and tear issues were noticed if I looked hard for them. Most were in the bathroom area and most could be solved with a higher volume exhaust fan and some paint. Again, cleanliness was not a problem and I really liked the bathroom floor tile work.

The pool area was small but nice and quiet when I used it. Would like to see the pool hours expanded a bit. Arriving after 9:00pm and the pool closing at 10:00 was disappointing after several hours on the road. Breakfast was tasty for hotel food with a good variety.

The location was very convienent for getting on or off 131 or getting around the K-zoo area. There are several restaurants within 2-3 miles on Stadium Dr. The area around this property was also very quiet and felt safe.

Overall, I was very happy with our "bang for the buck" and I have no problem recommending this a good place to stay.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
StevenHatto, Manager at Best Western Plus Kalamazoo Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2012

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review, we appreciate your comments. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and hope that you found the renovations and upgrades from the previous hotel pleasant. I am happy the location was convenient for your travels and we look forward to seeing you again in the future. We will always have a clean, comfortable room, at a reasonable price waiting for you, and will make sure you always receive the most "Bang for your Buck."

Thank you again for your business.

The entire BEST WESTERN PLUS Kalamazoo Suites Staff

Reviewed 17 September 2012

Check your credit card or debit card carefully. This hotel has a reputation for overcharging. I stayed there September 13-16th and I provided a $50.00 gift card at check in. They billed my credit card for the full amount of my room and they did not credit me for the gift card. Called hotel. Manager Steve was to call me back. No reply. Our friends that stayed with us the same weekend, their debit card was charged at the time of reservation and again when they arrived. I made one reservation and they had me down for two. I showed my confirmation form and they then decided that perhaps they could have made the mistake somehow. Our friends were told they made one reservation on the hotel website and another on expedia.

When I complained about the cleanliness of the hotel, I was informed that they only do deep cleaning once every four months and they have had a busy season so they have not gotten around to it. Cob webs hanging from the ceiling and drapes in the dining room. Out of eight rooms, three complained of drains that would not drain.

They do allow dogs in this hotel, but they cannot do anything about a resident that leaves their dog in the room and barks constantly until the owner returns. Dogs are usually on first floor, so request a 3rd or 4th floor room.

The only elevator is very S L O W and makes a groaning noise every trip. Hotel staff just laughs when you question them about it.

Their common response is "I'm sorry you feel that way." Well I am sorry you overcharged me and you just lost 8 bookings for next year. Management does not care enough to return a phone call.

Room Tip: Any room ending in 08 is the broom closet. This room is next to the elevator and you loose the amou...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends

Thank you for your response, I am sorry to hear about the confusion and lack of proper communication you experienced on your bill. I can assure you that billing accuracy is very important for the hotel and our guests, and that we rarely experience billing issues and do not have a reputation for overcharging.

I was able to confirm that the $50.00 gift card was applied to your stay. For all guests checking in at the hotel, there is an authorization automatically processed for the entire estimated charges of the stay to the credit card given for the reservation. The credit was applied for the gift card and taken off of the total bill, and the remaining balance was charged to the credit card on file and the balance of $50.00 was applied back to the card. Any adjustments to initial authorizations on room charges take 3-5 business days to process due to bank procedures, and I apologize for you having to wait to receive this credit.

I wanted to let you know that we have also recently had the elevator serviced and appreciate your comments. Although the manufacture cannot increase the speed past safety limits, they were able to decrease the operating sound of the elevator with additional lubrication and service. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

We hope to see you again in the future, and appreciate you taking the time to leave a review of the property.

The entire BEST WESTERN PLUS Kalamazoo Suites Staff.

Reviewed 19 August 2012

We were on our way from Wisconsin Dells to Toronto. We arrived without a reservation. Very friendly front desk got us a great room at a good rate. $109.99 taxes in.
Room was very large two queen beds, fridge and wet bar. Beds were very comfortable.
Pool area needed some loving, but we wouldn't let that stop is from staying here again.

• Stayed: August 2012

Thank you for your kind comments on your Great stay. We are glad to hear that you found the staff accommodating, and the rooms comfortable. I hope that you enjoyed your trip to Toronto, and we see you again on your next stop in Kalamazoo.

Thanks again for your business.

The entire BEST WESTERN PLUS Kalamazoo Suites Staff