“Good price for the size of room”

Best Western Plus Kalamazoo Suites
Ranked #7 of 31 Hotels in Kalamazoo
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 10 February 2014

This was a blind booking via Hotwire and I was pleased. The hotel is quick to get to off the expressway and just a few minutes from downtown and WMU campus. The room was quite large with a sink, fridge, microwave and decent sized couch. The room was huge! I found the king bed to be very comfortable. Check-in was easy and the gentleman who helped me was very funny and friendly. He was nice enough to upgrade me to a king bed after chatting about my travels.
Parking lot was packed over the weekend and finding a spot was tough so I'd suggest perhaps a larger lot but there is also quite a bit of snow which could have taken much of their space.
I, like other reviews here, had trouble getting the bathroom door to fully latch and the hot water did take some time to warm up in the morning but for the price, I didn't mind. And yes, you can hear quite a bit of noise here and the lobby does smell like a pool (which makes sense since it's located right there) but I find those things to be pretty standard for a budget hotel.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
StevenHatto, Manager at Best Western Plus Kalamazoo Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2014

Hello!

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, we appreciate you choosing to stay with us. I am glad to hear that you were pleased with your online booking and hotel selection. We do offer some very spacious suites, and are always happy to hear our guests enjoy the size and amenities offer in the room. Thank you for sharing your remarks about the front desk staff at check in, and how accommodating they were. I will be sharing your comments with the front desk personally, as a good example of how our guests should always be treated and feel welcomed.

Thanks again, we hope to see you in the future.

Reviewed 8 February 2014

Let me start by saying that this hotel has so much potential. My husband thought that the hotel was a little old looking, but I was able to overlook it because the hotel was clean. When we entered our room we immediately realized that the entry door was warped, and that you could see the light from the hallway through the subsequent crack. The door still locked so we overlooked it. The suite was nice and offered a full size fridge and microwave. The bathroom door was also warped and the door wouldn't close all the way or lock. The separate bedroom offered a built-in counter to place your suitcase on. The ONLY mirror in the entire suite was in the bathroom. It would have been a better use of space to place a mirror over that counter so that you could get ready in the morning without having to wait if somebody was using the bathroom. Lighting was very dim throughout the suite. When we turned on the t.v. in the living room we found that the cable was so staticky that we couldn't even watch it. Let me say at this point, we did NOT call the front desk at all to notify them of these issues. I was honestly willing to overlook them. However, there are a few things I can't overlook. That night I barely slept because the hotel is so loud. The person above us was in no way loud, however we could hear EVERYTHING that was happening upstairs and in the hallway. I could still overlook that because the beds were comfy and the suite was pretty nice. The next morning was my daughters vocal audition at WMU. All FOUR of us needed to shower that morning. When we woke up there was NO HOT WATER AT ALL!! I called down to the front desk at 6:15a.m. The phone rang for over five minutes. Eventually a gentleman answered the phone and said that he was aware of the problem and would be contacting the manager "soon". We waited until 7a.m. and tried the water again. NO HOT WATER STILL!! My husband called the front desk and after waiting for somebody to answer finally, he was told that we should shimmy the shower handle...blah, blah, blah. The person answering the phone sounded quite annoyed and definitely should not be dealing with the public in any capacity. At that point, we decided not to stay for the second night that we had reserved. When we went to the desk to let clerk know he never even asked us if we would be willing to switch to a different room. He acted as though he did not care at all! That night, after checking into a different Kalamazoo hotel, I realized that I had left my glasses behind. I called the hotel and was told by the clerk who answered that he had "just got in at 4pm" and had no idea who cleaned the room. I asked if they had a lost and found, and was told that they do but that glasses would be locked in the cleaning closet for the night. He said that IF they found them they would send them through the mail to me. The next morning, before leaving Kalamazoo, we stopped by and the ONLY staff member that we met who is actually able to effectively deal with the public, immediately found my glasses! My daughter has picked WMU as her school for the next four years and I can GUARANTEE you that none of our family will EVER stay at this hotel again....unless the management changes!!!!

Room Tip: If you must stay here I would recommend staying on the top floor so that you don't have to hear...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 February 2014

The staff was very friendly and helpful. We stayed here because we earned a free night from our summer traveling. The pool was mainly what we used. The temperature was like bath water. Very enjoyable. The hot tub on the other had was extremely hot. They said that they could add cold water for us, but the pool was comfortable. Our room's floor sagged and the carpet had red stains on it that freaked my daughter out. The bathroom looked liked it was in the middle of being remodeled. The breakfast was the usual waffle maker, 3 choices of cereal, hard boiled eggs, yogurt, fruit, fixings for egg and ham breakfast sandwhich, and drinks.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

Dear T G,

Thank you for your review our our hotel, we appreciate your feedback. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your use of our heated pool and spa, and the breakfast was plentiful. We are continually updating the hotel, all rooms are being addressed for maintenance issues such as carpet stains and replacement on a continual basis, and this will all be completed in the very immediate future. Thank you for your comments, we hope to see you again in the future.

Regards,

Steven

Reviewed 31 January 2014

My husband & I spent 2 days here in January 2014. The room was huge, bigger than a lot of studio apartments. The furnishings were nice, not grand but adequate. The bed was comfortable. There is a micro wave, full size refrigerator and a table. I did suggest to the day desk person that a roll of paper towels in the kitchen would be a nice amenity.

The pool and hot tub use BROMINE not chlorine so there are no fumes. It's so nice to be in the pool area and not be overcome by fumes. Also it's much easier on your swimwear. The breakfasts were nice. We will come back.

Room Tip: don't stay next to the elevator the door is very noisy on opening and closing.

Rebecca G,

Thank you for your review! We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We have recently completed some renovations and updates to our swimming pool and spa area, and I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the use of these amenities. We will be looking into what we can do for you regarding the noise of the elevator door, thank you for bringing this to our attention so that we can have it corrected for our future guests.

See you next time, take care.

Reviewed 27 January 2014

We had a free night voucher and could not go very far from home, so we decided to stay at the Best Western in Kalamazoo, MI. It seemed to be family oriented, but the swimming pool was very small. Overall, the hotel really needs to be updated.

Reviewed 22 January 2014

Rooms very spacious and clean. Breakfast very good, covering all food groups. Nice not to have to go and find a restaurant for breakfast. Close to shopping and restaurants. Rooms very spacious as was breakfast and lounge area. A very clean and well appointed hotel.

Rebecca G,

See you next time, take care.

Reviewed 2 January 2014

We took one of our daughters and her 3 boys on a mini ski trip to the Kalamazoo area. Check in time was 3 but we arrived at 12:30 and they had a room available so we could chg into our snow gear. Impressed with size of room. Upon checkout, front desk clerk was very helpful in locating 2 bowling alleys and times they were open. She was very helpful and courteous. We'll stay here again if in the area.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
StevenHatto, Manager at Best Western Plus Kalamazoo Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2014

HI Sandra,

Thank you for taking your time to leave such a nice review of our hotel, we appreciate your comments. I am glad that we were able to get you checked in early, and you were happy with the over sized guest suites. It has been a great winter so for for skiing, and I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your trip.

We hope to see you again in the future!