“great rooms”

Best Western Plus Kalamazoo Suites
Ranked #6 of 31 Hotels in Kalamazoo
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Pleasantly surprised with the large room/suite. Breakfast was very good ( egg, sausage, waffle Pool a bit green though and closed too early ( 10pm ) Outside of hotel was uncleaned but it was April after snow just melted. Check in and out was quick and efficient

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
StevenHatto, Manager at Best Western Plus Kalamazoo Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Dear Renee,

Thank you very much for your review of our hotel, your comments are appreciated. I am glad to hear that you were comfortable in our spacious suites, and enjoyed the breakfast. We look forward to having you as a guest again in the future.

Take Care,

Reviewed 20 March 2014

Chose hotel over AmericInn and Holiday Inn (two other "pet friendly" locations) because they were much more reasonable on the pet fees. ) I was very pleasantly surprised by the size and quality of the accomodations. I had stayed at Best Westerns years ago and my perception of them were of small town "Mom and Pop" motels with uneven quality. I'll need to give BW another look.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
StevenHatto, Manager at Best Western Plus Kalamazoo Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

HI!

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a kind review of our property, we appreciate your business and are very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are very happy to offer some of the larger room accommodations, and we are pleased to hear that you enjoyed the extra space and amenities. The BEST WESTERN PLUS Kalamazoo Suites would love to have you and your pet back at any time.

We look forward to seeing you during your next trip!

Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

The warm pool and hot tub are the best features of this hotel. Room was very clean. Fiberglass tub surround needed repaired in my room. Breakfast well maintained but seating in dining area limited. Wifi was terrible, so not good if you have work to do. Spacious rooms good for kids, lack of decent Wifi bad for business travelers.

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed 24 February 2014

My daughter and I arrived in severe wintry weather and the parking lot was fairly well cleared under the conditions. We had no trouble getting inside and the check-in was quickly handled by Amanda. She was pleasant and answered all of our questions. Our room was on the fourth floor and it was bigger than we anticipated. It had two queen size beds, desk, couch, and a small kitchen area. Their breakfast area was clean and the coffee was great. There were lots of choices for one's morning appetite. Deborah handled our check-out and informed us we could stay in the lobby area near the fireplace until the interview at Bronson Hospital. For the price and the quality of the services we received this was a great deal.

Room Tip: My understanding is the higher floor levels have the larger suite type rooms and the price is a deal...
1  Thank Brian C
StevenHatto, Manager at Best Western Plus Kalamazoo Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2014

Dear Brian,

Thank you very much for your kind review, and your room tips for our future guests. We appreciate your business, and are grateful you took the time to leave such nice comments about our property and staff, and I will share them with Amanda and Deb. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the size of our spacious guest suites, and enjoyed our breakfast buffet which we are continually expanding. It has been a long, cold winter in Michigan, but I am glad you found a warm and welcoming place to stay during your trip away from North Carolina. We hope to see you again if you are ever in the Kalamazoo area.

Best Regards,

Steven

Reviewed 10 February 2014

The room was very large. Room temperature was hard to control. The bottom dresser drawer was broken. The hot tub and pool were nice extra amenities. The side outside door seemed to have inoperable locks. Very nice deluxe breakfast provided. The lobby area and hall walls seemed clean. Staff was friendly and accommodating. Bathroom was quite small. No safes in room! This is a basic Best Western except for the size of the rooms. Location was close to WMU and downtown Kalamazoo. Comfortable bed!

1  Thank panadero7
Reviewed 10 February 2014

This was a blind booking via Hotwire and I was pleased. The hotel is quick to get to off the expressway and just a few minutes from downtown and WMU campus. The room was quite large with a sink, fridge, microwave and decent sized couch. The room was huge! I found the king bed to be very comfortable. Check-in was easy and the gentleman who helped me was very funny and friendly. He was nice enough to upgrade me to a king bed after chatting about my travels.
Parking lot was packed over the weekend and finding a spot was tough so I'd suggest perhaps a larger lot but there is also quite a bit of snow which could have taken much of their space.
I, like other reviews here, had trouble getting the bathroom door to fully latch and the hot water did take some time to warm up in the morning but for the price, I didn't mind. And yes, you can hear quite a bit of noise here and the lobby does smell like a pool (which makes sense since it's located right there) but I find those things to be pretty standard for a budget hotel.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Hello!

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, we appreciate you choosing to stay with us. I am glad to hear that you were pleased with your online booking and hotel selection. We do offer some very spacious suites, and are always happy to hear our guests enjoy the size and amenities offer in the room. Thank you for sharing your remarks about the front desk staff at check in, and how accommodating they were. I will be sharing your comments with the front desk personally, as a good example of how our guests should always be treated and feel welcomed.

Thanks again, we hope to see you in the future.

Reviewed 8 February 2014

Let me start by saying that this hotel has so much potential. My husband thought that the hotel was a little old looking, but I was able to overlook it because the hotel was clean. When we entered our room we immediately realized that the entry door was warped, and that you could see the light from the hallway through the subsequent crack. The door still locked so we overlooked it. The suite was nice and offered a full size fridge and microwave. The bathroom door was also warped and the door wouldn't close all the way or lock. The separate bedroom offered a built-in counter to place your suitcase on. The ONLY mirror in the entire suite was in the bathroom. It would have been a better use of space to place a mirror over that counter so that you could get ready in the morning without having to wait if somebody was using the bathroom. Lighting was very dim throughout the suite. When we turned on the t.v. in the living room we found that the cable was so staticky that we couldn't even watch it. Let me say at this point, we did NOT call the front desk at all to notify them of these issues. I was honestly willing to overlook them. However, there are a few things I can't overlook. That night I barely slept because the hotel is so loud. The person above us was in no way loud, however we could hear EVERYTHING that was happening upstairs and in the hallway. I could still overlook that because the beds were comfy and the suite was pretty nice. The next morning was my daughters vocal audition at WMU. All FOUR of us needed to shower that morning. When we woke up there was NO HOT WATER AT ALL!! I called down to the front desk at 6:15a.m. The phone rang for over five minutes. Eventually a gentleman answered the phone and said that he was aware of the problem and would be contacting the manager "soon". We waited until 7a.m. and tried the water again. NO HOT WATER STILL!! My husband called the front desk and after waiting for somebody to answer finally, he was told that we should shimmy the shower handle...blah, blah, blah. The person answering the phone sounded quite annoyed and definitely should not be dealing with the public in any capacity. At that point, we decided not to stay for the second night that we had reserved. When we went to the desk to let clerk know he never even asked us if we would be willing to switch to a different room. He acted as though he did not care at all! That night, after checking into a different Kalamazoo hotel, I realized that I had left my glasses behind. I called the hotel and was told by the clerk who answered that he had "just got in at 4pm" and had no idea who cleaned the room. I asked if they had a lost and found, and was told that they do but that glasses would be locked in the cleaning closet for the night. He said that IF they found them they would send them through the mail to me. The next morning, before leaving Kalamazoo, we stopped by and the ONLY staff member that we met who is actually able to effectively deal with the public, immediately found my glasses! My daughter has picked WMU as her school for the next four years and I can GUARANTEE you that none of our family will EVER stay at this hotel again....unless the management changes!!!!

Room Tip: If you must stay here I would recommend staying on the top floor so that you don't have to hear...