“Decent hotel... Bad Practices”

BEST WESTERN PLUS Kalamazoo Suites
Ranked #9 of 31 Hotels in Kalamazoo
GreenLeadersBronze level
Dekalb, Illinois
“Decent hotel... Bad Practices”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2010

So after my ten year hiatus with Best Western I decided I would give it another try! And here is what happened! Unfortunatly I had only a couple minor issues until well after check out. Our room was clean and nice! It had a full size refridgerator (very nice!) How ever parking was difficult and the pool the first day was slimmy... the second day there was so much chlorine in the pool it was difficult to stay in the room!! The fire alarm panel was malfunctioning!!
I will say this however... Thestaff below management was by far the friendliest staff I had ever encountered. From most of the front desk people, maitenence guy to the housekeeping crew. They were wonderful.
When I booked the room I told them that I would be paying cash... No problem I was told!! So at check out I paid cash. everything was fine. Then last week I went to use my card and it was denied... I thought how could this be. I have onlyused it twice. To my horor the hotel had charged my card for my daughters portion of the bill. No call nothing!! I am in the process of trying to get my money back and tey are saying that they will not reimburse me. The Best Western customer service said that they would get my money back at any cost when I was talking to Lyn and Judith... But Mike yesterday told me tough luck!!
So here is the irony of it all ten years ago I stayed with Best Western on a trip. The same exact thing happened. How could that be??? I will now definatly never stay at a Best Western anything AGAIN! They as a company steal from the consumer!!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank RBC713

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2010

My associate and I drove into town and looked around for a hotel. We looked at the comfort inn first and then this best western, decided to check into the BW because it was a much more spacious hotel with a better location and rate. The front desk staff "Erica" was very accommodating and let us see the different room types so we could choose. The rooms were huge....beds, bathrooms very nice and updated. The room windows actually open all the way, allowing the fresh air to some in.The hotel has a spacious feel and we sat outside at night and enjoyed the quite surroundings. Indoor pool and jaczzi. Extremely nice staff !

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank ALTX01
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2010

After a long hot day on the road it was such a relief to open my door and find a large, quiet, and cool room waiting for me. The king-sized bed was unbelievably cozy and comfortable and I slept so well. The location is very quiet, on a side street sort of in a residential area. The furnishings are very nice and modern. The bathroom and kitchenette have granite countertops and the bathroom has a beautiful tiled floor. The breakfast was very good, fresh fruit and yogurt, different breads, fresh waffles, orange and apple juice and coffee, and some pastries. The lobby has a large seating area with several sofas, a fireplace, and a big flat-panel TV. There is a swimming pool and fitness room as well. Overall, a very attractive property and I had a great sleep.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo
Marquette, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2010

This hotel is great place to stay and an excellent value. Our room was huge and had two king sized beds. We had originally booked three nights at the Kalamazoo Holiday Inn but our room was so small we were getting claustrophobia. We checked out after one night and moved to the Best Western and we were so glad we did. Our room at Best Western was literally half the price of what we paid at the Holiday Inn and we got so much more. I highly recommend the Best Western Suites!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
detroit
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2009

This former Staybridge Suites has been completely remodeled head to toe with new carpet, paint, etc. The rooms are huge and feature a seating area separated from the sleeping area by half walls. Rooms feature a sink, half-size refrigerator and microwave, along with 37-inch flat panel TVs that get incredible pictures on HD stations. We paid $89 a night and felt like it was a good deal. We may be skipping the Holiday Inn West next door from now on, which is significantly more expensive. Very good continental breakfast bar too -- hot waffles and biscuits and gravy along with the usual cereal and rolls. Room and all other areas of the hotel was scrupulously clean. Only clinker was the jets in the hot tub down by the pool weren't working.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple