“HIGHLY RECOMMENDED”

Candlewood Suites Kalamazoo
Ranked #9 of 32 Hotels in Kalamazoo
Reviewed 20 May 2011

I stayed at the Candlewood Suites for one night. I must say it was a extremley nice place to stay. The beds were good and a very very clean hotel. The staff was friendly and helpfull also. If I ever need to stay in Kalamazoo again or any place with a Candlewood suites, I will check for avalability.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
debbiem12, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Kalamazoo, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2012

On behalf of our entire staff here at Candlewood, we would like to thank you for your kind remarks. We value our guests and we are delighted that you enjoyed you stay with us! Please visit us again if you are traveling in the Kalamazoo area!

Reviewed 12 December 2010

We retuned multiple times over an 8 month period, so we got to experience every aspect of this hotel. The rooms are upscale with granite countertops & tasetful decorating, high speed internet and great workspaces. They were very clean and have fantastic beds. The staff is so helpful and made us feel like we were coming home. We enjoyed weekly Manager's Receptions with catered meals, fresh fuit every morning and free on site laundry facilities. We highly recommend Candlewood Suites of Kalamazoo.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank evangelista_joan

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! The true test of the success of our hotel is the extent to which we make our guest feel at home! We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are so happy we made you feel at home!

Reviewed 6 September 2010

This hotel looks pretty new and it caters more to the business traveler. They only have housekeeping once a week unless you request it otherwise, but for just passing through, it was fine. It was clean and maintained well. The rooms have a small kitchenette in them, too.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your positive feedback. We strive to ensure that our guests have a pleasant experience during their stay. We hope we have the opportunity of servicing you again in the future.

Reviewed 17 July 2010

No free breakfast, rude staff, hotel room dirty, difficult to access, nothing in walking distance, and did I mention no free breakfast? Cmon folks for the price I was paying, a hotel like this should have a free breakfast. Only nice thing was that the rooms were pretty nice inside except for the cleanliness issue. If they get a better staff and a free breakfast I might consider going back. Until then I am going to continue to stay at the nearby options that offer free breakfast.

We would like to meet the expectations of each of our valued guests. I deeply apologize that we failed to meet your expectations. As a brand, Candlewood Suites hotels do not serve breakfast, as is our standard. Many of our extended-stay guests have found that our fully-equipped kitchens have lead to a huge savings in terms of food costs. Though we do not feature a complimentary breakfast, we do offer complimentary coffee, tea and fresh fruit daily. Additionally, we feature our Candlewood Cupboard, an on-sight convenience store where snacks and drinks may be purchased our charged to your room. Again, I apologize that our brand failed to meet your needs and hope that you may give us another chance should you revisit the Kalamazoo area. Thank you again for staying with us.

Reviewed 7 July 2010

I always like to stay at newer hotels and this one fit that requirement at less that one year. The rooms were clean and spacious. It is in a great location with easy access to Interstate 94.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple

On behalf of our entire staff, I would like to extend our thanks to you for taking the time out to give us such positive feedback. We genuinely appreciate it!

Regards,

Reviewed 7 July 2010

We had booked a 1 bedroom suite (king bed along with a pullout sofa sleeper) for our stay on June 19, 2010. I was traveling with my 3 teenagers. We got to the hotel later than expected (around 11pm) due to storms on the drive to Kalamazoo. Upon check in, they gave me a room and I asked if it was the 1 bedroom suite we reserved. The front desk stated that the only room they had left was a standard room (one king bed only in the room). I showed them my confirmation which indicated that I had reserved the suite. I informed them that a room with only one bed for myself and 3 teenagers would not do. They told me to go up to my room and they would let me know shortly what they could do. I said that since there wasn't anymore rooms open at the hotel, I wasn't sure what they meant by 'they would see what they could do'. I mentioned to them that I knew of several other suite hotels in the area which might have an open room in case they could call them and arrange a transfer. They were able to find the Best Western Suites about 5 miles away which did have a Suite available, so after packing up the car again we drove over to it and had a very nice stay. Also, some other reviewers noted that this hotel has a nice free breakfast, but that is not true. I even showed the manager the print out I had showing the reviews, and he said he wasn't sure what they were referring to. His hotel does not offer any type of free breakfast and does not even have an eating area for such a meal. So be careful if you plan to stay here and have a breakfast the next morning. I travel alot and know that situations like this come up every now and then, so I wasn't very upset when it did happen. It was just the last thing you want to hear when it is late at night and you spent the entire day driving with your family that your room is not at the hotel.

Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family

We sincerely regret the situation that occurred in connection with the room booking. It appears that due to a system error, our property was listed as having a room that we did not along with amenities that we do not offer. Though such a glitch is certainly an exception and not the rule, it is understandable that this was very disappointing to our guest. Fortunately we were able to secure suitable accommodations for the guest in a nearby area hotel that was able to fit the needs of his family. Additionally, follow-up was done to ensure that such a situation did not reoccur. Thank you again for your patience and constructive feedback.

Reviewed 30 June 2010

My 12 year daughter was playing tennis in the biggest tournament of the year, the Midwest Closed. I didn't get a room until she qualified for the tourney at the beginning of the month. When I called to book the reservation, I told them that I needed two rooms from Thursday June 24 through Sunday June 27 and if she won, I would just recheck in on Sunday. I admit I did not check the confirmation because I had such a long conversation with reservations. We checked in at 1:30 a.m. on Friday, June 25 and thought we were good until Sunday. On Saturday morning because of a rain delay, I did two loads of laundry and could not dry the clothes because the hotel was drying towels in all three dryers. I took the clothes out and put two loads in one dryer and then checked and saw my daughter still needed to report at her regular time. I unloaded wet clothes thinking I would dry later. My daughter played singles and doubles in the afternoon. The hotel called at 2:30 wondering why we hadn't checked out. When I checked my phone and called them at 3:30 I told them I wasn't leaving my daughter and as soon as she was done I would come there to deal with the situation. When I arrived, they had packed both of our rooms, including liquor and things in the freezer. My wet clothes were in bags. My 69 year old mother spread everything out in the lobby to see if they had stolen anything. They charged us a $50.00 late fee and $25.00 service fee. They did nothing to help us look for another hotel. It was one of the most demeaning experiences of my life and a terrible situation for my daughter for the biggest tournament of the year. When I complained to guest relations on Monday, June 28, they were horrified. The general manager called on Tuesday, June 29 and told me they followed hotel policy. Guest relations then told me that the matter was closed. We ended up at the Red Roof Inn a mile from Candlewood were they treated us very kindly and with respect.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank SouthernILTennismom
debbiem12, Manager at Candlewood Suites Kalamazoo, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2010

To ensure the accuracy of each reservation, our hotel utilizes a 3-step confirmation procedure that includes: 1) Confirming the dates and rates at the time the reservation is made;
2) Sending an email to the guest confirming dates and rates; and 3) Confirming the rate and checkout date once the guest arrives by asking them to initial both on their registration card at check-in. In this particular case, all three hotel procedures were followed. Unfortunately, as the guest states, they did not review the confirmation that was sent to them; or review the checkout date on their registration card at check-in. Since the dates of the guest's stay were during an area-wide sell-out, we regretfully were unable to extend the guest's stay beyond their confirmed checkout date, as their two rooms had been reserved by other guests who were due to arrive that afternoon. The hotel made three earnest attempts to contact the guest to explain the situation; however, the guest was unwilling to return to the hotel and check out, stating she would be there "whenever she would be there", and hung up on our Guest Service Associate. In an effort to secure alternate accomodations for the guest, a hotel representative called multiple hotels in the area, however when we attempted to contact the guest to inform her, the guest again refused to listen and hung up. At 6:00 p.m. (approximately 6 hours after our hotel checkout time and three hours after our hotel check-in time), we had no other reasonable alternative other than removing and storing the guest's items in order to clean and prepare the room for the guests scheduled to arrive that day who had made confirmed reservations for the rooms. Extreme care was used in the handling of the guest's item and they remained stored in a secure location until the guest arrived at the hotel. We are sincerely sorry for the inconvenience caused by this situation and earnestly conveyed this to the guest. It is always our endeavor to satisfy every guest, every stay. However, given the particular details of this situation, we feel we did make every earnest attempt to act fairly and reasonable with all parties involved, as was later confirmed with our Guest Relations department when all of the facts were considered.